17 replies to this topic

#16 chris999

chris999

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,023 posts
  • LocationFlorida

Posted 12 September 2010 - 06:57 PM

Before you read this take a deep breath, and relax. Jesus, I know the huddle tends to overreact but you act like we are winnless in week ten. Alright let me first point out that this is week 1 and we were winning at half time. Secondly, everyone loses at some point. Heck even the Colts are 0-1 at this point. It's going to be alright. Let's look at some negatives then positives of this game.

Negatives:
-Let's just get it out of the way Matt Moore. Sorry kid but today just wasn't your day. At some points you looked good. Passes to Smitty, a couple of smart check-down throws, and a couple of good scrambles. But throwing three picks in the red zone is inexcusable. You will not win a football game doing that. The funny thing is if someone had told me that before the game I would have expected us to get blown out. (and no 13 points is not a blow out) The o-line played pretty terrible in the second half and are tight-ends didn't help either. It was wet out there but Nicks and Manning didn't seem to notice.

-Secondary and D-line. I'll start with the d-line because one sack is not going to cut it. True to our fears a great preseason does not equal a great real season. Manning had way too much time throwing the ball and when you have Smith, Manningham, and Nicks somebody is bound to get open. Secondary looked pretty bad today too. Some easy picks off tipped balls (should have had another two more but Captain and Beason dropped them), but overall a really poor effort today. Every single one of our corners screwed up pretty bad at some point or another. Gamble missed tackle on touchdown run. Munneryln couldn't carry Nick's jockstrap, and Marshall gave up a touchdown early.

-Play calling- I like being aggressive when we are down two scores, but really first and goal at the four and you don't give the ball to Stewart. Hell the entire second half we hardly ran the ball. Jeff Davidson's poor play calling in the second half has to share the blame with the turnovers. Side note, but not going for a two point conversion at the end of half also annoyed me.

Now on to the positives and believe me there were some:
-Steve Smith is back. Nuff said this is a completely different team without him.
-Mike Goodson had a great game today. Solid kick returns and played great on offense. He really showed some grit blocking those G-men.

-Special teams in general looked a lot better today than they did last year. except for Jansen's bad snap, I can't fault their efforts at all.

-First half run Defense. Wow and I thought this was going to be our weakest link. We played fantastic in the first half, but as young teams tend to do we let our guard down a little in the second. It's week one though I expect that to be fixed up pretty quickly.

-Greg Hardy. He didn't come up with the sacks today, but the forced fumble and blocked punt were huge. I really like this kid and his attitude seems just fine to me.

-Not quitting- I know I gave up on us after that first pick in the fourth quarter, but our defense and special teams came out and didn't give up. Down two scores in a hostile environment it would have been easy to just let the Giants run down the clock. But we held strong and gave it our best effort.

Bottom line: Somebody was going to have to take a tough loss today. We had some bad turnovers and really strayed away from running the ball in the second half. If we keep the turnovers to a minimum, run the ball effectively, and tighten up in the secondary (which will be easier Giants are pretty good at throwing the ball) we should be able to win some ball games. The Giants are a good team. People easily forget that before injuries last year they started out on fire. I expect them to have a good run this year, just like us.

Finally, stop the Clausen talk just stop. Stop the Delhomme 2.0 or why did we get rid of Delhomme? Its sickening really. Moore is 6-3 as a career starter and just lost his cool on opening day against a good defense. He has a lot of pressure on him and just didn't perform today. Up to this point its been a "nothing to lose" attitude and now he has something to lose. Will he improve by next week at home verse the lowly bucs? Definitely but until he goes half the season with repeated terrible games please stop making threads about bringing in Clausen. It really is a terrible idea. Think about it. Clausen is a second round pick rookie. He will get his chance, no doubt. It makes sense to give Moore (which we got for nothing practically) a chance to prove himself. If Moore fails then bring in Clausen. But if Clausen fails and Moore never got his chance in Carolina then the Panthers are royally screwed.

It's a loss deal with it. There are plenty of examples of teams starting out slow and coming on strong at the end of the season. We are a very young team that can only get better.

great post. you forgot to mention kasay who hit some tough FGs today, one of them was a 50+ yarder.

i want to say that i agree with everything you said... except the part about matt moore. what i saw from him today is that he implodes when the game is on the line.

he kept trying to force things that werent there. on the 3rd down red-zone int, he should have thrown it away, and went for it on 4th. and even though i think the play-calling was bad on his second red-zone int, he still had plenty of oppertunities to throw it away, and try again, but he was making horrible mistakes, which is the worst thing possible when all your team needs you to do in manage the football, not try to be a gun-slinger and throw into triple coverage.

maybe he just had a bad game, or maybe his tru colors came through today, but the reality is that he will not be re-signed after this season, and now that jimmy is going to be playing a few games anyway, we might as well go ahead and give him the keys for the future. of course thats just my opinion though. over-all, a really good post and a good read.

Edited by chris999, 12 September 2010 - 07:04 PM.

#17 Peppers90 NC

Peppers90 NC

• HUDDLER
  • 9,741 posts

Posted 12 September 2010 - 07:00 PM

i think we will get better, all the ints were terrible throws. the rain didnt help and our oline has got to get their poo together. Blocking in all aspects was piss-poor

#18 SOJA

SOJA

Official Panthers Fan

• HUDDLER
  • 9,869 posts

Posted 12 September 2010 - 07:10 PM

great post. you forgot to mention kasay who hit some tough FGs today, one of them was a 50+ yarder.

i want to say that i agree with everything you said... except the part about matt moore. what i saw from him today is that he implodes when the game is on the line.

he kept trying to force things that werent there. on the 3rd down red-zone int, he should have thrown it away, and went for it on 4th. and even though i think the play-calling was bad on his second red-zone int, he still had plenty of oppertunities to throw it away, and try again, but he was making horrible mistakes, which is the worst thing possible when all your team needs you to do in manage the football, not try to be a gun-slinger and throw into triple coverage.

maybe he just had a bad game, or maybe his tru colors came through today, but the reality is that he will not be re-signed after this season, and now that jimmy is going to be playing a few games anyway, we might as well go ahead and give him the keys for the future. of course thats just my opinion though. over-all, a really good post and a good read.

I did forget Kasay and thank you. You never know too Clausen could start the next week with Moore out and prove that he can win at this level early. I just don't appreciate the immediate meltdowns everyone had after the game. More importantly is Moore knows he played awful today and I fully expect him to come back and play hard as soon as he is healthy. It's fortunate we have a backup in Clausen really.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Shop at Amazon Contact Us: info@carolinahuddle.com