Photo
- - - - -

Man I gotta say...Creed was really good.

• Please log in to reply
132 replies to this topic

#1 hepcat

hepcat

Skandalouz

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,254 posts

Posted 16 September 2010 - 08:37 AM

#2 boo7382

boo7382

• HUDDLER
  • 10,434 posts
  • LocationCharlotte

Posted 16 September 2010 - 08:51 AM

:smilielol5::smilielol5:

#3 Carolina Husker

Carolina Husker

I hate football

• HUDDLER
  • 10,474 posts

Posted 16 September 2010 - 09:01 AM

#4 CharlotteBeer.com

CharlotteBeer.com

Resident Beer Nerd

• HUDDLER
  • 9,700 posts

Posted 16 September 2010 - 09:07 AM

I actually liked Creed. I just think they got so overplayed that they became bland. Not to mention Stapp's voice was so distinct that all the songs sounded alike.

You might say the same of one Hootie and the Blowfish.

And now, a nice cover from Creed:

#5 The Saltman

The Saltman

I have Returned

• Moderators
  • 24,877 posts

Posted 16 September 2010 - 09:21 AM

Creed and all the other bands such as Godsmack are all rip offs of Alice in Chains. For Gods Sakes come out with something original.

#6 CharlotteBeer.com

CharlotteBeer.com

Resident Beer Nerd

• HUDDLER
  • 9,700 posts

Posted 16 September 2010 - 09:22 AM

Creed and all the other bands such as Godsmack are all rip offs of Alice in Chains. For Peaks Sakes come out with something original.

Fixed. ;)

#7 Zcustom

Zcustom

The Irish Hammer

• HUDDLER
  • 5,634 posts

Posted 16 September 2010 - 09:22 AM

I agree with both Hepcat and BB. Great band that got played out too fast.

#8 boo7382

boo7382

• HUDDLER
  • 10,434 posts
  • LocationCharlotte

Posted 16 September 2010 - 09:27 AM

I actually liked Creed. I just think they got so overplayed that they became bland. Not to mention Stapp's voice was so distinct that all the songs sounded alike.

You might say the same of one Hootie and the Blowfish.

And now, a nice cover from Creed:

Not cool. Not cool at all.

Not ok with people covering good quality classic rock songs. Really pisses me off. The only one I have come to tolerate is Phish covering a couple things, but IMO Creed shouldn't be even getting near a Doors song. The talent of Jim Morrison is WAYYYYYYYY above whatshisfacesucksass from Creed.

I had to go to a goo goo dolls concert in Charlotte last month (long story, don't ask, it wasn't my choice to go although the Music Factory venue is awesome!) and we saw this band...Switchfoot open for them and they covered Wont Back Down by Tom Petty...absolutely butchered it. I was severely disappointed.

#9 CharlotteBeer.com

CharlotteBeer.com

Resident Beer Nerd

• HUDDLER
  • 9,700 posts

Posted 16 September 2010 - 09:29 AM

Not cool. Not cool at all.

Not ok with people covering good quality classic rock songs. Really pisses me off. The only one I have come to tolerate is Phish covering a couple things, but IMO Creed shouldn't be even getting near a Doors song. The talent of Jim Morrison is WAYYYYYYYY above whatshisfacesucksass from Creed.

I had to go to a goo goo dolls concert in Charlotte last month (long story, don't ask, it wasn't my choice to go although the Music Factory venue is awesome!) and we saw this band...Switchfoot open for them and they covered Wont Back Down by Tom Petty...absolutely butchered it. I was severely disappointed.

Did you listen to the song? I like The Doors as well and would never say Stapp's as talented as Morrison, but in my opinion it's a damn good cover -- primarily because it doesn't depart all that much from the original.

#10 boo7382

boo7382

• HUDDLER
  • 10,434 posts
  • LocationCharlotte

Posted 16 September 2010 - 09:34 AM

Did you listen to the song? I like The Doors as well and would never say Stapp's as talented as Morrison, but in my opinion it's a damn good cover -- primarily because it doesn't depart all that much from the original.

Yeah I listened to it, and I will give it to them that it is a decent cover and yes they did not stray too far from the actual song, I just appreciate classic rock way too much for someone like Creed to come in and think they can cover it. Its a staple in classic rock music and I don't appreciate other bands thinking its ok to cover it. If Jim Morrison was still alive, I don't know how much he would appreciate it either.

#11 CharlotteBeer.com

CharlotteBeer.com

Resident Beer Nerd

• HUDDLER
  • 9,700 posts

Posted 16 September 2010 - 09:41 AM

Yeah I listened to it, and I will give it to them that it is a decent cover and yes they did not stray too far from the actual song, I just appreciate classic rock way too much for someone like Creed to come in and think they can cover it. Its a staple in classic rock music and I don't appreciate other bands thinking its ok to cover it. If Jim Morrison was still alive, I don't know how much he would appreciate it either.

If every musician thought that way, we wouldn't have many of the "staples" of classic rock. Or at least not as we know them.

I'd have to dig to find them, but there are a lot of covers that you probably don't realize were covers. I'm sure The Doors covered songs in their time.

So while I see your point, I don't see anything wrong with bands paying homage to other bands and putting their own spin on the track. Of course, you don't have to like it.

Edited by Beaux Berry, 16 September 2010 - 09:45 AM.

#12 CharlotteBeer.com

CharlotteBeer.com

Resident Beer Nerd

• HUDDLER
  • 9,700 posts

Posted 16 September 2010 - 09:44 AM

Good song? Of course, it's hardly a "staple", so I suppose it was okay for The Doors to cover a Van Morrison song. :P

#13 The Saltman

The Saltman

I have Returned

• Moderators
  • 24,877 posts

Posted 16 September 2010 - 09:44 AM

I don't care about the cover I just think Creed sucks monkey balls.

#14 Zcustom

Zcustom

The Irish Hammer

• HUDDLER
  • 5,634 posts

Posted 16 September 2010 - 09:46 AM

has anyone gotten Salty's opinion on this?

#15 CharlotteBeer.com

CharlotteBeer.com

Resident Beer Nerd

• HUDDLER
  • 9,700 posts

Posted 16 September 2010 - 09:47 AM

I don't care about the cover I just think Creed sucks monkey balls.

Fair enough. And I'm not trying to defend them, I just think everyone and their mother has bashed Creed these days, and I think much of that is just due to the overwhelming radio play they got early on.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Contact Us: info@carolinahuddle.com - IP Content Design by Joshua Tree / TitansReport.