Photo
- - - - -

Is an offseason "big splash" a necessity?

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
24 replies to this topic

#1 Mr. Scot

Mr. Scot

Football Historian

• ALL-PRO
  • 42,222 posts

Posted 18 January 2009 - 03:02 PM

With the impending loss of Julius Peppers, a couple of options:

Can the Panthers build a dominant defense on the strength of the solid, unspectacular pickups they tend to prefer combined with more focus on Jon Beason and (possibly) a new coach and scheme?

Or is it absolutely necessary for the Panthers to make at least one "big splash" acquisition along the lines of Albert Haynesworth or Nnamdi Asomugha?

Edited by Mr Scot, 18 January 2009 - 03:05 PM.

#2 Fox007

Fox007

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,150 posts

Posted 18 January 2009 - 03:18 PM

I'd say big splash, but I doubt anyone would want to play for us given what just happened.

Players talk, and It wouldn't surprise me if the word is out that this coaching staff is dead weight.

Hopefully our good acquisitions come in the form of draft picks via a Peppers trade.

#3 mountainpantherfan

mountainpantherfan

In Honor of Sam Mills

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,907 posts

Posted 18 January 2009 - 03:20 PM

It really is going to depend on what they want to do defensively moving forward. With what the Panthers have right now they could move more to a "Eagles" type of defense and adding Asomugha or another top teir CB would be worth a big signing. Outside of that I really don't see the need for a big splash in FA. I think the defensive line only needs backups or rotation guys. And LB is set. Offensively, I don't see a need outside of TE, that one's for you Mr. Scott, but there isn't really any big splash TE out there.

I would add though that while signing a Haynesworth or Suggs or any big splash FA isn't necessary, I wouldn't be agasint it.

#4 Sloth

Sloth

idk

• ALL-PRO
  • 2,740 posts

Posted 18 January 2009 - 03:20 PM

Considering our track record in FA, I have very mixed feelings about this.

#5 countryboi

countryboi

• HUDDLER
  • 2,415 posts

Posted 18 January 2009 - 03:23 PM

we have to get Albert Haynesworth...right now we have no one on the d-line thats even good outside of maake and he does not get pressure....we must must have a elite guy on the d-line

#6 L.A. Fanatic

L.A. Fanatic

LOWER YOUR FONT!!!!!!!!

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 403 posts

Posted 18 January 2009 - 03:29 PM

we just need the right splash

#7 charlottenian

charlottenian

• HUDDLER
  • 2,890 posts

Posted 18 January 2009 - 03:30 PM

no big splash's hardly work... I don't want Haynesworth (only showed up during contract seasons) and even with a talent like Nmandi we would not utilize him the way he should be used.... Keep continuity on the o-line by resigning Gross, get some kind of compensation for Peppers and play small market in FA and have a decent draft.

#8 outlaw4

outlaw4

Winning Cures Everything

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 972 posts

Posted 18 January 2009 - 03:30 PM

With the impending loss of Julius Peppers, a couple of options:

Can the Panthers build a dominant defense on the strength of the solid, unspectacular pickups they tend to prefer combined with more focus on Jon Beason and (possibly) a new coach and scheme?

Or is it absolutely necessary for the Panthers to make at least one "big splash" acquisition along the lines of Albert Haynesworth or Nnamdi Asomugha?

Big splash, of course. Gotta placate the Huddle's wishes...

(at least until the big splash fizzles and the Huddle then bashes the FO for wasting a lot of money on a loser)

There's no point in picking up big names if they don't fit into what we want to do schematically. Then again, there's no point in running a particular scheme if we don't have the personnel for it.

#9 Woodie

Woodie

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,175 posts

Posted 18 January 2009 - 03:55 PM

The question is, how many big splashes are there?

Asomugah, Haynesworth, who else would constitute a big splash? And IMO, Haynesworth would represent a big thud rather than splash since he will most likely fall back into his underperforming nature once he is paid.

#10 Mr. Scot

Mr. Scot

Football Historian

• ALL-PRO
  • 42,222 posts

Posted 18 January 2009 - 03:57 PM

The question is, how many big splashes are there?

Asomugah, Haynesworth, who else would constitute a big splash?

Arguably, Terrell Suggs.

#11 Kurb

Kurb

I hit it.

• Administrators
  • 13,647 posts

Posted 18 January 2009 - 03:59 PM

I'm afraid Suggs might regress without Ray Lewis in his ear every 5 mins.

#12 PanthersFanNY

PanthersFanNY

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,668 posts

Posted 18 January 2009 - 04:01 PM

If we keep Fox and have the same defensive scheme as we've had we need a big splash or we need to have some ridiculously good drafting in April. We may not to be able to run a 3-4 defense with our current personnel, but we also can't even run our current system with the players we have. No pressure from the front four ruins our already weak scheme.

#13 Fox007

Fox007

• HUDDLER
  • 9,150 posts

Posted 18 January 2009 - 04:02 PM

I'm afraid Suggs might regress without Ray Lewis in his ear every 5 mins.

Beason needs to start getting in peoples ear.

Although he would sound a lot tougher if he was a murderer too. :o

#14 Mr. Scot

Mr. Scot

Football Historian

• ALL-PRO
  • 42,222 posts

Posted 18 January 2009 - 04:02 PM

Haynesworth and Suggs have their pros and cons. Asomugha has few negatives but would be near impossible to get.

It isn't so much about the pros and cons of specific guys though as it is whether we need to go hard after a big name or just follow the usual "slow and steady" route.

Does the loss of a big name necessitate the acquisition of another big name to replace him?

Edited by Mr Scot, 18 January 2009 - 04:08 PM.

#15 pstall

pstall

Gazebo Effect

• HUDDLER
  • 22,000 posts

Posted 18 January 2009 - 04:04 PM

The big splash MUST include Turgo leaving.
THEN, the guys you plug in after that will do well.

Shop at Amazon Contact Us: info@carolinahuddle.com