Photo
- - - - -

If first round QBs are "destined busts" as people like to refer them to...

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
90 replies to this topic

#1 Frash Brastard

Frash Brastard

The Frashmaker

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 14,411 posts

Posted 18 January 2009 - 10:01 PM

why the fug am i watching 2 first round QB picks in the AFC championship game?

and, by extension...

why the fug has a team with a first round QB won the superbowl the past 3 years?

Just another aspect of the game Fox likes to look at with a closed mind and what player was most responsible for our meltdown in AZ?

you can't win the big one with a closed mind.

#2 CarolinaKid704

CarolinaKid704

C***

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 770 posts

Posted 18 January 2009 - 10:05 PM

Why the fug cant we get anything right!!!!! Ahhhh!!!! Good point though.

#3 tight lines

tight lines

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 604 posts

Posted 18 January 2009 - 10:05 PM

Idk but I watched a undrafted free agent win the NFC championship game with a first round quarterback holding his clipboard.

just saying

Oh and the other team had a first rounder playing QB

#4 Frash Brastard

Frash Brastard

The Frashmaker

• HUDDLER
  • 14,411 posts

Posted 18 January 2009 - 10:07 PM

Idk but I watched a undrafted free agent win the NFC championship game with a first round quarterback holding his clipboard.

just saying

Warner is one in a million.

take QB production return pctg and compare it to the return production of any other position draft pick in the league and I bet you the bust rate will be at least the same.

#5 panthers1789

panthers1789

Banned

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 479 posts

Posted 18 January 2009 - 10:09 PM

Joe Flacco sucks.

#6 tight lines

tight lines

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 604 posts

Posted 18 January 2009 - 10:09 PM

Warner is one in a million.

take QB production return pctg and compare it to the return production of any other position draft pick in the league and I bet you the bust rate will be at least the same.

Problem is you have to invest a first round draft pick and sign a multi year contract at ~14 mil a year to find out if yours is a bust or not.

Then if he isnt that good you end up with a 14 mil a year backup.

#7 AKPantherFan

AKPantherFan

Cam Can....Can you???

• HUDDLER
  • 5,022 posts

Posted 18 January 2009 - 10:11 PM

With The Golden Calf of Bristol, Bradford and other QUALITY QB's comming out after next season, we might just have An EXELLENT chance to go get our future QB .... Matter of fact I HOPE WE DO!

#8 panthers1789

panthers1789

Banned

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 479 posts

Posted 18 January 2009 - 10:13 PM

With The Golden Calf of Bristol, Bradford and other QUALITY QB's comming out after next season, we might just have An EXELLENT chance to go get our future QB .... Matter of fact I HOPE WE DO!

We would have to go 2-14 to get Bradford, I like The Golden Calf of Bristol as Hoovers replacement.

#9 tight lines

tight lines

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 604 posts

Posted 18 January 2009 - 10:14 PM

I can only imagine what the huddle would look like if hurney drafted a first round qb who turned out to be a bust.

#10 Frash Brastard

Frash Brastard

The Frashmaker

• HUDDLER
  • 14,411 posts

Posted 18 January 2009 - 10:15 PM

Problem is you have to invest a first round draft pick and sign a multi year contract at ~14 mil a year to find out if yours is a bust or not.

Then if he isnt that good you end up with a 14 mil a year backup.

yea but when has a team ever made it, or a person ever made "it" in life in general, by not taking risks?

Lest we forget the last time Fox took a chance on an unproven QB it payed dividends for us. That's why he was so successful at first. Because he had the balls to take risks, and he was pretty damn good at it too. Now, please, god forbid we try anything different to get a one up on the other guy.

#11 Nicbsbll2

Nicbsbll2

• HUDDLER
  • 2,513 posts

Posted 18 January 2009 - 10:16 PM

The Golden Calf of Bristol= first round fullback... not QB

#12 tight lines

tight lines

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 604 posts

Posted 18 January 2009 - 10:17 PM

yea but when has a team ever made it, or a person ever made "it" in life in general, by not taking risks?

Lest we forget the last time Fox took a chance on an unproven QB it payed dividends for us. That's why he was so successful at first. Because he had the balls to take risks, and he was pretty damn good at it too. Now, please, god forbid we try anything different to get a one up on the other guy.

Calculated risk is the smart thing to go for.
If Delhomme didn't work out we were out of chump change.

#13 Frash Brastard

Frash Brastard

The Frashmaker

• HUDDLER
  • 14,411 posts

Posted 18 January 2009 - 10:21 PM

The Golden Calf of Bristol reminds me of a QB that ten years ago would be so highly heralded with his "dual threat" capabilities and would be a sure no.1 pick.

Josh Freeman's on my radar. He looks reachable from where we pick now, and the guy's got a hell of an arm on the run, plus he's elusive while passing.

#14 Fox007

Fox007

• HUDDLER
  • 8,810 posts

Posted 18 January 2009 - 10:22 PM

why the f*ck am i watching 2 first round QB picks in the AFC championship game?

and, by extension...

why the f*ck has a team with a first round QB won the superbowl the past 3 years?

Just another aspect of the game Fox likes to look at with a closed mind and what player was most responsible for our meltdown in AZ?

you can't win the big one with a closed mind.

It's just a Myth, the issue with it is they can be COSTLY busts, and a huge waste of time.

If your coaches know what they are doing *knock on wood* those chances become even less that they will be a bust.

2010 would be a great year for us to start though.

#15 Frash Brastard

Frash Brastard

The Frashmaker

• HUDDLER
  • 14,411 posts

Posted 18 January 2009 - 10:27 PM

It's just a Myth, the issue with it is they can be COSTLY busts, and a huge waste of time.

If your coaches know what they are doing *knock on wood* those chances become even less that they will be a bust.

2010 would be a great year for us to start though.

FWIW most QB "busts" are thrown in to save struggling teams that aren't that successful to begin with.

Guys like Eli, Roethlisberger, Flacco, Matt Ryan, these guys achieved early success and developed nicely, because they were put on talented teams. Teams that have a running game. Teams that have decent or better defenses. For guys like Alex Smith, SF was terrible when they drafted him. He never got a chance to make a difference because he had nothing to help him out.

I know one thing is for sure, Matt Ryan is going to be an insufferable pain in the ass playing against him in the future, and if Flacco can reach the AFC Championship game off of two road playoff wins in a row, in his rookie season, the sky's the limit for him.

Shop at Amazon Contact Us: info@carolinahuddle.com