• Please log in to reply
15 replies to this topic

#1 panther4life

panther4life

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,654 posts

Posted 21 January 2009 - 03:12 PM

So by letting Peppers walk,Cutting Lucas, Landon Johnson,and D.J Hackett.....
thats just a few that come to mind, that should free up a ton of money for us to make a splash. I cant find any official cap figures so i really dont know. can someone please look this up?

#2 Kurb

Kurb

I hit it.

• Administrators
  • 13,539 posts
  • LocationILM

Posted 21 January 2009 - 03:31 PM

Peppers has no effect on the comming cap if he leaves. If franchised its around 17 mill hit.

Lucas hurts about 9mil.
Hackett maybe 1mill, his contract was next to nothing.
Johnson I'm not sure of, he got a decent deal, but nothing really outragous.

Jake will get an extension for him to retire or get cut with. Pushing his cap hit back several years, I would guess 3-5 mill in cap savings from that.

So maybe another 10mill ? Keep in mind that number Yasinskas threw out it's 100% by any means. Hurney and his people do some masterful cap work with contracts and incentives.

#3 Highlandfire

Highlandfire

There can be only one.

• HUDDLER
  • 2,319 posts

Posted 21 January 2009 - 03:32 PM

We gotta get Gross under contract, that is priority #1. then franchise and trade peppers.

#4 The Link

The Link

Satire Enthusiast

• ALL-PRO
  • 2,995 posts

Posted 21 January 2009 - 03:33 PM

I'd like to cut Landon Johnson and Hackett. Franchise Peppers and trade him.

#5 Snake

Snake

swagaholic

• HUDDLER
  • 11,687 posts

Posted 21 January 2009 - 03:56 PM

Gambles 53 mill deal is whats eating up most of the cap space right now. He gets 4 mill this year plus 10 mill bonus before camp.

#6 scpanther22

scpanther22

• HUDDLER
  • 7,134 posts

Posted 21 January 2009 - 04:51 PM

if you want to talk cap lewis is hurting us ...hackett was cheap and needs to stay here

#7 carpanfan96

carpanfan96

play hard, hit harder

• ALL-PRO
  • 11,397 posts
  • LocationConcord, NC

Posted 21 January 2009 - 05:10 PM

the cap is 123 million with club/player benefits rising that to around 149 million for the upcoming season. Landon Johnson was given a 3 year 10 million dollar deal and his salary for next season is around 2 million. Lewis is getting paid 3.17 million next year. Lucas salary next year is 5.6 million. Hackett's salary next season is 2.3 million. Cutting all of those players would net us around 13 million in cap space. pushing our total cap room after peppers and gross' contract come off the books, leaving us with around 44 million in cap space to sign players. Add more to that if we extend Delhomme's contract. Leave 10 million of the top for Various reasons (rookie pool, etc.) and we have roughly 34 million for FA.

Edited by carpanfan96, 21 January 2009 - 05:23 PM.

#8 CarolinaKid704

CarolinaKid704

C***

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 770 posts

Posted 21 January 2009 - 05:24 PM

the cap is 123 million with club/player benefits rising that to around 149 million for the upcoming season. Landon Johnson was given a 3 year 10 million dollar deal and his salary for next season is around 2 million. Lewis is getting paid 3.17 million next year. Lucas salary next year is 5.6 million. Hackett's salary next season is 2.3 million. Cutting all of those players would net us around 13 million in cap space.

That being said...

I don't like the phrase 'money to burn.' Don't need to throw money at some Vet just to see what he can do. But I think we all know that. Be smart like last offseason and take calculated risks. If we get a team together for under 20 mil under the cap, then more power to us.

#9 Kurb

Kurb

I hit it.

• Administrators
  • 13,539 posts
  • LocationILM

Posted 21 January 2009 - 06:48 PM

the cap is 123 million with club/player benefits rising that to around 149 million for the upcoming season. Landon Johnson was given a 3 year 10 million dollar deal and his salary for next season is around 2 million. Lewis is getting paid 3.17 million next year. Lucas salary next year is 5.6 million. Hackett's salary next season is 2.3 million. Cutting all of those players would net us around 13 million in cap space. pushing our total cap room after peppers and gross' contract come off the books, leaving us with around 44 million in cap space to sign players. Add more to that if we extend Delhomme's contract. Leave 10 million of the top for Various reasons (rookie pool, etc.) and we have roughly 34 million for FA.

Salary only doesn't equal cap hit.

#10 panthers55

panthers55

Starting all over again

• HUDDLER
  • 16,667 posts
  • LocationAt the lake

Posted 21 January 2009 - 10:13 PM

Salary only doesn't equal cap hit.

Exactly. Plus cutting them sometimes mean that the portion of their compensation which is prorated over 3 years for example becomes due when they are cut or if a June 1 cut over 2 years (roster bonus, signing bonus, inentives likely to be earned). So cutting them may or may not save us money.

#11 Poo Poo Enterprise

Poo Poo Enterprise

Too Drunk to Poo?

• NEWB
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 21 January 2009 - 10:17 PM

I think we're about eleventy billion under after all them moves ya heard

#12 Carolina_Pride

Carolina_Pride

• NEWB
  • PipPip
  • 44 posts

Posted 21 January 2009 - 11:30 PM

Could the panthers deal Pep to the Pats for Cassel and maybe a 2nd rounder...would that be even possible and worth it. Just a thought cause would work for both teams.

Edited by Carolina_Pride, 21 January 2009 - 11:31 PM.
spelling error

#13 beach

beach

|~~~~|

• HUDDLER
  • 9,332 posts

Posted 21 January 2009 - 11:31 PM

Sorry if I missed this but, if we franchise then trade Peppers, do we have to pay the franchise $? Or would it be a tag signing bonus type thing? TBH, I don't fully understand the franchise tag thing.

#14 carpanfan96

carpanfan96

play hard, hit harder

• ALL-PRO
  • 11,397 posts
  • LocationConcord, NC

Posted 21 January 2009 - 11:38 PM

all of them save us money immediately. Lucas is the only really tricky one, I believe His cap hit is 9 million close to ten, but if he's cut after/before (can't remember the date) a certain date then his cap hit want occur till next season. So he still saves us that 5.6 mill for this season and then next season we would take a hit on the signing bonus which is 4.5 mill per season. ( the possibility that next season wont have a cap and that doesn't really affect us now does it.)

#15 panthers55

panthers55

Starting all over again

• HUDDLER
  • 16,667 posts
  • LocationAt the lake

Posted 22 January 2009 - 12:47 AM

all of them save us money immediately. Lucas is the only really tricky one, I believe His cap hit is 9 million close to ten, but if he's cut after/before (can't remember the date) a certain date then his cap hit want occur till next season. So he still saves us that 5.6 mill for this season and then next season we would take a hit on the signing bonus which is 4.5 mill per season. ( the possibility that next season wont have a cap and that doesn't really affect us now does it.)

Not true. The only guys who don't cost you money are those who are free agents or their contracts have expired. So to answer a question above if we franchise Peppers and trade him it doesn't cost us a thing. For example Lewis has a three year contract so he is signed through 2010. if we cut him his prorated signing bonus and roster bonuses as well as incentives likely to be earned will all become due immediately. I read somewhere that his cap cost for 2009 is actually over 6 million although his base salary is around 3. If we cut him now we would still be on the hook for all the guaranteed money left unaccounted for in his 13 million deal. If we cut him after June 1st we could spread it out over 2 years but we still are out several million and we have to factor in the cost of who would replace him. More than likely if we want to keep him we can restructure his contract to save cap now and still keep him for no more than it would cost us to cut him.

Lucas is still under contract through 2010. His base salary for 2009 is 5.6 and 6million in 2010. But his cap number is around 10 million in 2009 and 11 million in 2010. If we cut him as a June 1 cut we will not have to pay the 11 million in salary over the next 2 years but he will still cost us 4.5 against this year and 4.5 next year or a total of 9 million for a guy who we don't have (dead cap space). So we are out 9 million dollars for nothing and we still have to replace him with someone else like Marshall who will cost an arm and leg as well if we keep him. So my point is that after we replace him we may not be saving anything at all.

There are several players you mentioned in the same boat. I don't have to time to detail each one but someone else will in the next few weeks I am sure. Still the cap space we could save by making the moves you suggest may not be that great since salaries and cap cost are 2 entirely different things.

Edited by panthers55, 22 January 2009 - 12:56 AM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Shop at Amazon Contact Us: info@carolinahuddle.com