:yesnod:

#32 Bogart

Bogart

Village Idiot

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 353 posts

Posted 10 November 2010 - 09:11 AM

JR''s biggest mistake was expecting football fans to understand and go along with a long term building strategy as opposed to a win now at all cost strategy.

Exactly...these moves had to be made. It was long over due and everyone should remember all the complaints they spewed over the last few years and they will agree.

We all thought this team would be better than they are now, including JR, but that just isn't the case. There are numerous reason why and they will all be removed after the season. No where to go but up from here.

#33 JungleCat

JungleCat

HUDDLER

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,166 posts

Posted 10 November 2010 - 09:37 AM

Nicely written. I didn't expect this team to fall as much as it has from last season either.

JR has taken a lot of criticism this year. Some have even said that he does not care about winning, just saving money. Can you imagine JR firing his sons if that was the case? JR is positioning this team to be a champion. His next coach will be someone he believes in, period. Money will not be a factor.

I'm hoping this is the case.

#34 Cats-eat-birds

Cats-eat-birds

• NEWB
  • PipPip
  • 23 posts

Posted 10 November 2010 - 11:28 AM

Fantastic. Thank you for starting this Post! The truth is that I believe in JR. W or L, we have one of the best owners in the league. The Panthers will get back on track, as fans we just need to hang in there with them.

#35 Mr. Scot

Mr. Scot

Football Historian

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 36,922 posts
  • LocationSC

Posted 10 November 2010 - 12:20 PM

JR''s biggest mistake was expecting football fans to understand and go along with a long term building strategy as opposed to a win now at all cost strategy.

Kinda like the one that got us to the playoffs in 96 but left us hurting for 97 and 98 (yet folks still think Bill Polian should have been kept).

#36 Third Degree

Third Degree

Come back soon, 89

• HUDDLER
  • 4,536 posts
  • Location704

Posted 10 November 2010 - 12:33 PM

Kinda like the one that got us to the playoffs in 96 but left us hurting for 97 and 98 (yet folks still think Bill Polian should have been kept).

I mean, he has been decent with Indy, and he wanted who was it, over Jason Peter in '98? Can't remember his name presently, Green Bay DE...

#37 Mr. Scot

Mr. Scot

Football Historian

• HUDDLER
  • 36,922 posts
  • LocationSC

Posted 10 November 2010 - 12:56 PM

I mean, he has been decent with Indy, and he wanted who was it, over Jason Peter in '98? Can't remember his name presently, Green Bay DE...

That wasn't Polian. That was Dom Anile.

And you'd look pretty good too with Peyton Manning, but for years Polian couldn't build a good enough team around him.

#38 rayzor

rayzor

shula is who i thought he was.

• Moderators
  • -29,936 posts

Posted 10 November 2010 - 01:08 PM

i'm in JR's corner. despite all the criticism there is of him this year (and much of it may be deserved) he's still one of the best owners in the league.

he'll get this team back on track. i have total confidence in him working hard to repair the relationship between him and the fans this year. he'll spend money. he'll open up that checkbook and tell hurney to get the best coaches and players possible.

#39 methodtoll

methodtoll

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,183 posts
  • LocationToccoa, GA

Posted 10 November 2010 - 01:40 PM

My biggest problem with people who are negative towards Richardson is that they think he is coaching the team, which is why we are losing.

Nobody bothers to think that, yeah Richardson had a part of letting go of the vets but its up to John Fox to use the talent he has to make them contenders.

#40 ElkinPanthersFan

ElkinPanthersFan

Voice of Reason

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,245 posts

Posted 10 November 2010 - 03:27 PM

That wasn't Polian. That was Dom Anile.

And you'd look pretty good too with Peyton Manning, but for years Polian couldn't build a good enough team around him.

Though didn't Polian rebuild the Bills to glory in the Mid-Late 80's-Early 90's?

Taking a team from 2 straight 2-14 seasons and in the span of 7 years taking them to 4 straight Super Bowls. I'd take that.

Edited by ElkinPanthersFan, 10 November 2010 - 03:31 PM.

#41 ladypanther

ladypanther

SENIOR HUDDLER

• HUDDLER
  • 5,251 posts
  • LocationWNC

Posted 10 November 2010 - 06:58 PM

Lady Panther, Do you actually know Mr. Richardson?

Just what we all know.

#42 dpanther69

dpanther69

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 852 posts

Posted 10 November 2010 - 07:55 PM

Nicely written.

#43 Mr. Scot

Mr. Scot

Football Historian

• HUDDLER
  • 36,922 posts
  • LocationSC

Posted 10 November 2010 - 09:04 PM

Though didn't Polian rebuild the Bills to glory in the Mid-Late 80's-Early 90's?

Taking a team from 2 straight 2-14 seasons and in the span of 7 years taking them to 4 straight Super Bowls. I'd take that.

Pre-Salary Cap. I generally don't like to compare anybody's performances under those conditions (see: Jerry Jones)

The Bills actually fired Polian in 1993. He took the Panthers job in 94.

#44 top dawg

top dawg

The Creative Cat

• HUDDLER
  • 6,742 posts
  • LocationWITHIN MY MIND'S EYE

Posted 11 November 2010 - 12:38 PM

For a minute, I began to think that this thread was about JJ, as opposed to JR.

Anyway, I like the sentiment behind the post, but I am still skeptical of JR and the FO. It seems to me that some moves could have been made at relatively little cost and/or risk to the team that would have given the team the opportunity to be competitive, and still fit into JR's philosophy about the bottom line in regards to the labor dispute. Now, I am not going to get into specifics, but suffice it to say that sometimes principled people need to get off their moral high horses and allow themselves to be conduits of grace, mercy, and positive change.

More importantly, the buck literally stops with JR, so I give him just as much blame for the team's precipitous downfall this season as anyone else. He isn't getting a pass, notwithstanding his heart problems, or family issues. That being said, it's his team, and he can do with it as he will. I understand that teams have to rebuild, but the well managed teams (who coincidentally have great owners) don't fall off a cliff.

Some have said that JR doesn't owe us anything. I disagree. Fans spend money and emotion in their support of the team, at many times for a lifetime. Teams don't exist without fans, and---in a way---teams become bigger than their owners, and have a life of their own. JR, just like any owner, owes the fans a competitive product in as best as he can offer. Of course the intelligent fan realizes that teams will have their ups and downs, but a little communication during the tough times wouldn't hurt.

Ultimately, JR has been a decent owner. LP's points are well taken. Although, for me, this whole notion of sacrificing the present opportunity of the team (for the possible betterment later) has certainly jaundiced my view of JR. Although I don't believe he purposefully tanked the team, I do believe that his NFL-first mentality led to his rolling of the dice and coming up snake-eyes this season. I just hope that his philosophy hasn't set us back for years on end, and/or has closed any present window of opportunity that we may have had for a championship (especially in light of a relatively weak-looking NFC). I understand his apparent philosophy, but, as a fan it makes me uncomfortable, and there is something that I don't like about it. But, I am going to keep the faith that JR will make everything right in Pantherland in the future.

#45 Darth Bobo

Darth Bobo

The Dude

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 259 posts
  • LocationRTP

Posted 11 November 2010 - 04:24 PM

I'm trying to imagine what reasonable expectations a fan has of any budgeted sports team in an uncapped league....for any sport.

The reasonable part is killing all of my ideas.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Contact Us: info@carolinahuddle.com - IP Content Design by Joshua Tree / TitansReport.