Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Has an "artists" political views ever caused you to boycott them?

74 posts in this topic

Posted · Report post

a nice thing about america is that no matter who you are, where you come from, or what you think, you're allowed to tell every person you meet your opinions. you don't have to be a 'qualified' political expert to have an opinion on something, we sure aren't here in the tinderbox.

i'll never get why people begrudge other folks doing that just because they're famous.

being famous doesn't mean you're not allowed to share your opinion. if you've got a platform and something you care about, shout it as loud as you can.

i notice you listed all liberals. if your real problem is their views, man up and say that. don't pretend you disagree with all famous people sharing opinions.

I have no problem with famous people voicing their opinion (though as a rule, a significant portion of them are idiots) but I'm bugged when they whine about getting a backlash as if the people who dislike them are "restricting their free speech".

People who are consumers of their "product" have every right to express their opinion of celebrities and their ideas, whether it's verbally or by using their wallet.

Likewise, when people lose jobs because they're controversial, that's not an abridgement of anyone's speech either. You're only guaranteed the freedom to speak, not a platform with which to do it.

In short, the constitution offers plenty of protection against the silencing of your ideas. It offers no protection whatsoever against the people who hear your speech thinking that you're an ignorant twit.

Posted · Report post

I have no problem with famous people voicing their opinion (though as a rule, a significant portion of them are idiots) but I'm bugged when they whine about getting a backlash as if the people who dislike them are "restricting their free speech".

People who are consumers of their "product" have every right to express their opinion of celebrities and their ideas, whether it's verbally or by using their wallet.

Likewise, when people lose jobs because they're controversial, that's not an abridgement of anyone's speech either. You're only guaranteed the freedom to speak, not a platform with which to do it.

In short, the constitution offers plenty of protection against the silencing of your ideas. It offers no protection whatsoever against the people who hear your speech thinking that you're an ignorant twit.

So take that, Fat Dixie Chick. :D

Posted · Report post

I can't express my true feelings when I am at work and in front of people because I would be fired.

The same could go for Musicians who express their opinions in lyrics, and print.

Also for actors who in front of the camera express their concerns.

That is their job, and I don't begrudge anyone for "firing" them.

Posted · Report post

i agree that when you're doing it in the context of your job, you deserve what you get. that's why i think reggie white is a POS for putting on his nfl jersey and pretending he was the official bigot of the nfl. when you're representing an organization your freedoms are limited to what the organization allows or not.

but a famous person outside the context of their company or work should have the same freedom you do to discuss their politics.

Posted · Report post

Reggie White was not a bigot. He was a nice man. A very nice man.

Posted · Report post

Kid Rock

laugh.gif

Posted · Report post

They have the right to express any view they feel. The fans have the right to react in any way they chose. Thay Clay for instance. If he expresses his views, it is likely to make his homo fans happy and they may by more of his products. On the other hand the dixie chicks IMO have more of a country fan base. The country fan base is pro America (again, IMO) and chose to stop buying their products. A dumb move for the chicks. Sure, down the road the homo holliwood croud award them a bunch of awards solely for stating anti American views, and not for musical accomplishments (once again, IMO). It still cost them millions of dollars. Aparently they were willing to pay. Where are they now? Theyput out a couple songs and the country radio tried to forgive them and play their songs. Far as I can see this has not taken hold. *

These are the views of Speed and in no fuging way express the views of The Panthers Huddle message board.

Posted · Report post

Posted · Report post

he was a bigot and a stain on the history of the nfl.

Posted · Report post

Sure, down the road the homo holliwood croud award them a bunch of awards solely for stating anti American views

so because they said they didn't like Bush, they were anti American views.

but you are free to criticize Obama without being anti American?

how does that work exactly?

Posted · Report post

a nice thing about america is that no matter who you are, where you come from, or what you think, you're allowed to tell every person you meet your opinions. you don't have to be a 'qualified' political expert to have an opinion on something, we sure aren't here in the tinderbox.

i'll never get why people begrudge other folks doing that just because they're famous.

being famous doesn't mean you're not allowed to share your opinion. if you've got a platform and something you care about, shout it as loud as you can.

i notice you listed all liberals. if your real problem is their views, man up and say that. don't pretend you disagree with all famous people sharing opinions.

I mentioned all liberals because, as my post stated, over the past several years, we've had a Republican in the White House, and these were the idiots to use their fame as a soap box to blast him.

Now that a Democrat is in office, let's see how many conservatives use that chance to voice their opinions.

I don't look at party when it comes to people. When I cast my vote, I vote for the person, not what side of the fence they choose.

We've had celebs in various forms of office before, and I think that will continue. We've had actors and pro wrestlers (also actors, but that's another thread) who have been elected to head states. We've even had a movie cowboy as President.

I'm good at painting my face and acting stupid at football games. That talent, in no way, shape, or form, does not extend to matters of public office or political opinion.

Posted · Report post

Agreed.