Photo
- - - - -

Rumors about Russ Grimm to be Next PANTHERS coach.

• Please log in to reply
114 replies to this topic

#31 Squirrel

Squirrel

Drink a beer and relax

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,313 posts

Posted 03 December 2010 - 02:30 PM

Good thing he as a football IQ b/c when he got drafted by Washington he was sad because he didn't want to move to Seattle.:puke:

Geography has nothing to do with X's and O's. :lol:

#32 mj4life

mj4life

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 932 posts

Posted 03 December 2010 - 02:34 PM

grimm as a possible coach here is nothing new. he may or may not get the gig here but someone like him(asst coach) will & people can forget about the pipe dream of harbaugh,cowher or gruden

#33 Catalyst

Catalyst

• HUDDLER
  • 4,107 posts
  • LocationMorehead City

Posted 03 December 2010 - 02:51 PM

Grimm wouldn't be an awful choice. He's not my first choice, but he wouldn't be a terrible one either. It's hard to say what kind of offense/defense he would choose to run, though I would imagine we'd be run-heavy, which is a strength anyway.

I still think we take Luck if we have the top pick no matter who ends up as coach.

#34 Sam Mills Fan

Sam Mills Fan

The Truth Sometimes Hurts

• HUDDLER
  • 5,735 posts

Posted 03 December 2010 - 02:52 PM

I remember ALL of the speculation was about Spurrier back in 2001. The Dungy/Lewis stuff was there also, but it was nearly all centered around Spurrier. My memory is foggy, so it could have been TCO driving the Spurrier stuff more than the organization itself, but there were a slew of articles discussing the possibility of Spurrier coaching the Panthers. I seem to recall that he was scheduled to meet with Richardson after meeting with Snyder, but Snyder gave him a massive contract and Spurrier never even met with Richardson.

You know, Jerry Richardson doesn't have a good eye for coaches. His top candidate for the first coach was Joe Gibbs who turned him down and then Dom Capers ultimately failed (although his leash was ridiculously short). Then he hired George f'ing Seifert. Then his top choice was Steve Spurrier lol. The Panthers lucked out that Snyder offered Spurrier so much money.

Also, I seem to remember Dungy turning the Panthers down and the choice was ultimately John Fox or Marvin Lewis with Richardson picking Fox.

#35 Dpantherman

Dpantherman

certified pee-on

• HUDDLER
  • 26,452 posts

Posted 03 December 2010 - 02:57 PM

The more I think about it, the more I warm up to it. Grimm has been on 3 different SB teams (washington, Pitt, Arizona---even though they lost). He played a role in each, how much of a role is a different story, but hes been there. He has the experience. how much different would he be? I don't know, and I won't pretend to know. But at this point, none of this matters until January. A FEW MORE WEEKS!! YAY!!!

#36 rayzor

rayzor

shula is who i thought he was.

• Moderators
  • -29,810 posts

Posted 03 December 2010 - 02:58 PM

grimm would be more of the same that we've had with fox. it would be a bad choice mainly because it would be a "safe" choice. choosing him would show this organization either had no balls or were oblivious to the game changing.

#37 Dpantherman

Dpantherman

certified pee-on

• HUDDLER
  • 26,452 posts

Posted 03 December 2010 - 03:04 PM

I don't know how different or the same he would be to be honest. It depends on who he hires on his staff, and his philosophies on offense and defense, which no one knows.

#38 Pimpdaddy

Pimpdaddy

takin it as it comes

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,868 posts

Posted 03 December 2010 - 03:21 PM

grimm would be more of the same that we've had with fox. it would be a bad choice mainly because it would be a "safe" choice. choosing him would show this organization either had no balls or were oblivious to the game changing.

Not so sure about more of the same as Fox but I am tired of 'we want to be like the Steelers' bull. (If you want to emulate them then we as fans should be able to raise hell in the stadium.) What about inventing your own image? I dont want our team to become a salvage yard for ex Steeler coaches....

#39 hepcat

hepcat

Skandalouz

• HUDDLER
  • 4,305 posts

Posted 03 December 2010 - 03:24 PM

LOL, good point - maybe we're Schefter's source.

Let's start a thread about the Panthers being in talks with Oprah as our next HC and see how long it takes Schefty to pick it up?

Man at least start a rumor that she wants to buy the Panthers...she'd leave us all free Ipod touches under the seats at the games

#40 Jangler

Jangler

Its gonna be just like they say, them voices tell me so

• HUDDLER
  • 46,935 posts

Posted 03 December 2010 - 03:24 PM

I guess we will get a new one of these every week for about 6 weeks.

great

#41 Frash Brastard

Frash Brastard

The Frashmaker

• HUDDLER
  • 13,778 posts

Posted 03 December 2010 - 03:26 PM

Not so sure about more of the same as Fox but I am tired of 'we want to be like the Steelers' bull. (If you want to emulate them then we as fans should be able to raise hell in the stadium.) What about inventing your own image? I dont want our team to become a salvage yard for ex Steeler coaches....

yea and even the steelers have changed their offensive formula and have become more of a passing team than ever before

it's more like "yea lets be the steelers from the 90s. where's kordell stewart to start for you and not throw for a first down?"

#42 The Saltman

The Saltman

I have Returned

• Moderators
  • 24,883 posts

Posted 03 December 2010 - 03:27 PM

yea and even the steelers have changed their offensive formula and have become more of a passing team than ever before

it's more like "yea lets be the steelers from the 90s. where's kordell stewart to start for you and not throw for a first down?"

King Taharqa would disagree

#43 rayzor

rayzor

shula is who i thought he was.

• Moderators
  • -29,810 posts

Posted 03 December 2010 - 03:50 PM

lot's of people are blind to this fact. the steelers don't even want to be the old school steelers anymore.

#44 kdrh5

kdrh5

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,044 posts

Posted 03 December 2010 - 04:53 PM

How is hiring a guy who has no prior head coaching experience a safe choice? You sure?

You really don't know what the guy would bring to the table as far as his philosophy on offense, ability to evaluate personnel, choice of coordinators, etc....you just know hes not Harbaugh or "exciting", as if being exciting is gonna win us football games lol. People are really just jumping to conclusions based on his appearance and the position he coaches. The worst part is people are even tying to put some sort of stock into a quote he made like 100 years ago when he got drafted as if its a bad sign or has anything to do with being able to coach football lol

#45 Frash Brastard

Frash Brastard

The Frashmaker

• HUDDLER
  • 13,778 posts

Posted 03 December 2010 - 04:58 PM

lot's of people are blind to this fact. the steelers don't even want to be the old school steelers anymore.

yea. they had to draft a franchise qb to win the big game

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Contact Us: info@carolinahuddle.com - IP Content Design by Joshua Tree / TitansReport.