Photo
- - - - -

Rumors about Russ Grimm to be Next PANTHERS coach.

• Please log in to reply
114 replies to this topic

#46 rayzor

rayzor

shula is who i thought he was.

• Moderators
  • 29,582 posts

Posted 03 December 2010 - 05:02 PM

"on his appearance?" lol. whatever.

yes, grimm is a safe choice, meaning middle of the road.

and i never said that exciting was going to win games, i said it was more needed for an owner who was trying to energize the fanbase. should that be the only criterion used? nope. not implying that at all. should it be considered, though? absolutely.

he is well known to be an old school football kind of guy and is very much the reason that he has been held back.

he isn't a progressive mind, which is exactly what this team needs if it is going to be seriously competitive/dominant going into the future.

#47 rayzor

rayzor

shula is who i thought he was.

• Moderators
  • 29,582 posts

Posted 03 December 2010 - 05:03 PM

yea. they had to draft a franchise qb to win the big game

more than that, the decision was forced on cowher.

#48 Pimpdaddy

Pimpdaddy

takin it as it comes

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,842 posts

Posted 03 December 2010 - 06:50 PM

yea and even the steelers have changed their offensive formula and have become more of a passing team than ever before

it's more like "yea lets be the steelers from the 90s. where's kordell stewart to start for you and not throw for a first down?"

we can't even get aspirations right this season, if you aim to be something at least be the freakin Patriots....

#49 thunderraiden

thunderraiden

Thunder God Member

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,608 posts

Posted 03 December 2010 - 11:34 PM

ADAM SHAFTER a FEW MONTHS AGO: "We have just got mulitple reports from reliable sources that brett farve has texted his teammates and said, and i quote " THIS IS IT." It appears Brett Farve is firmly retired this year."

#50 Kevin Greene

Kevin Greene

______CYA_____

• HUDDLER
  • 16,001 posts

Posted 03 December 2010 - 11:39 PM

Of course we could get lucky (no pun intended) and when the Panthers call, Grimm will say "No.".

#51 Catalyst

Catalyst

• HUDDLER
  • 4,041 posts
  • LocationMorehead City

Posted 04 December 2010 - 12:45 AM

Grimm wouldn't be a bad choice, just safe. I'm of the mindset that it's time to take some risks and go for the rewards as opposed to playing it safe.

But if Grimm is the guy, I can live with that. There are MUCH worse candidates being tossed around than him these days.

#52 Mr. Scot

Mr. Scot

Football Historian

• HUDDLER
  • 34,792 posts
  • LocationSC

Posted 04 December 2010 - 12:55 AM

As I understand it, our first choice in 2001 was Dungy, then we wanted Gibbs, then we chose Fox.

Richardson wanted Gibbs in 1995, not 2001.

Bill Polian suggested Rich Kotite (thank God that didn't happen).

#53 Brooklyn Bully

Brooklyn Bully

• HUDDLER
  • 7,812 posts

Posted 04 December 2010 - 12:55 AM

grimm would be more of the same that we've had with fox. it would be a bad choice mainly because it would be a "safe" choice. choosing him would show this organization either had no balls or were oblivious to the game changing.

Yep. He may be good, but what we want is better. If we were to hire Grimm it could possibly be the same old mediocre crap this team has been since day one. Four good seasons out of sixteen. Yeah...I have an issue with that.

#54 Mr. Scot

Mr. Scot

Football Historian

• HUDDLER
  • 34,792 posts
  • LocationSC

Posted 04 December 2010 - 01:00 AM

Grimm could have a pretty big strike against him if he wants to run a 3-4.

His original team (Redskins) ran a 4-3, but since then he's been with the Steelers and Ken Whisenhunt's Cardinals, both 3-4 systems.

It'd take a fair amount of retooling to make that work in Carolina, not a good thing in a team that already needs retooling (and more so on the offense).

Unknown if that's what he'd want, but given that's the majority of his experience, and the approach with which he's seen the most success, it's a logical expectation.

By contrast, Harbaugh only started running a 4-3 this season, so it's far less likely he's tied to it.

Edited by Mr Scot, 04 December 2010 - 01:33 AM.

#55 pantherclaw

pantherclaw

Wise Ass

• HUDDLER
  • 6,053 posts
  • LocationGalveston

Posted 04 December 2010 - 02:43 AM

In '01...were there speculations about hiring John Fox before the season was over? Did anyone even hear a whisper of John Fox's name before Seifert got fired?

Nobody even really realized he was in the running until he was in charlotte meeting with richardson. He didn't leave charlotte until he got his contract, and made his press conference, calling out the players on the team, opeening asking how tough they were.

Ahhh, memories.

#56 Razzy

Razzy

Banned

• HUDDLER
  • 3,053 posts

Posted 04 December 2010 - 02:46 AM

I hate Adam Schefter, I really do. Every time I see his face, I'm overcome with the urge to punch it.

#57 panthers55

panthers55

Starting all over again

• HUDDLER
  • 16,113 posts
  • LocationAt the lake

Posted 04 December 2010 - 11:11 AM

How is he liked by players, other coaches, etc. How about his knowledge of the offense and the defense. How does he compare to ther guys out there.

Here is an article when the Bills looked at him last January.
http://www.buffaloru...-of-russ-grimms

Here is one from a Washington blog site when he was being considered for the Washington job in 2009. Citing several sources from various Washington sources familiar with his playing days and coaching stint there.

http://www.hogshaven...atch-russ-grimm

The Washington article provides material concerning his coaching abilities and talent evaluation moreso than a rehash of his playing days or how the team did under his tutelage.

#58 Mr. Scot

Mr. Scot

Football Historian

• HUDDLER
  • 34,792 posts
  • LocationSC

Posted 04 December 2010 - 12:50 PM

If you believe the stories, he had the Steelers job until the NFL stepped in.

No idea whether it's true or not, but it's possible.

#59 Sloth

Sloth

idk

• HUDDLER
  • 2,559 posts

Posted 04 December 2010 - 01:16 PM

How is he liked by players, other coaches, etc. How about his knowledge of the offense and the defense. How does he compare to ther guys out there.

Here is an article when the Bills looked at him last January.
http://www.buffaloru...-of-russ-grimms

Here is one from a Washington blog site when he was being considered for the Washington job in 2009. Citing several sources from various Washington sources familiar with his playing days and coaching stint there.

http://www.hogshaven...atch-russ-grimm

The Washington article provides material concerning his coaching abilities and talent evaluation moreso than a rehash of his playing days or how the team did under his tutelage.

Thanks for those. Good reading.

#60 beach

beach

|-~~-~-~|

• HUDDLER
  • 8,071 posts

Posted 04 December 2010 - 01:35 PM

You know, Jerry Richardson doesn't have a good eye for coaches. His top candidate for the first coach was Joe Gibbs who turned him down and then Dom Capers ultimately failed (although his leash was ridiculously short). Then he hired George f'ing Seifert. Then his top choice was Steve Spurrier lol. The Panthers lucked out that Snyder offered Spurrier so much money.

Also, I seem to remember Dungy turning the Panthers down and the choice was ultimately John Fox or Marvin Lewis with Richardson picking Fox.

This gave an interesting perspective on things for me

Honestly, JR's history and personality still has me wondering if he's actually willing to take a risk post-Fox. I know we all want him to and also understand signing a coach like Harbaugh can potentially catapult this franchise.

That is why the biggest question mark coming into our coaching search is: Will Richardson look to develop a new vibe with a young fiery coach or is he going to simply look to what fits his formula. A lot of people (really most people) are assuming JR will finally become slightly progressive in finding our next coach...but I just don't know. That's why I think we'll all end up being surprised in the end for better or worse.

Also, if we hire a new coach, then end up having to endure a year without football, what type of coach do you think JR would want under this circumstance which he seems to believe will most likely happen? It will be someone who has a strong reputation with the owners in this league.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Contact Us: info@carolinahuddle.com - IP Content Design by Joshua Tree / TitansReport.