#1 Fiz

Fiz

SENIOR HUDDLER

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,965 posts

Posted 28 January 2009 - 11:23 AM

Russia scraps plan to deploy nuclear-capable missiles in Kaliningrad

Russia today announced it was abandoning plans to deploy nuclear-capable Iskander missiles in its European Kaliningrad outpost – a sign that Moscow wants improved relations with the new US administration.

Defence officials said the Kremlin's proposals to station short-range missiles in the small Baltic territory next to Poland had been "suspended".

The move followed Barack Obama's decision to review the Pentagon's controversial missile defence shield in central Europe.

The Kremlin has been incensed by the Bush administration's plans to site missile interceptors and radar bases in Poland and the Czech Republic.

Moscow believes the plan upsets Europe's strategic nuclear balance and targets Russia, but the Bush administration insisted it was intended to defend against a threat from Iran.

Obama has not yet decided whether to press ahead with the scheme or to abandon it, although indications suggest he is sceptical about its value.

Today's Russian move can be interpreted as a Kremlin olive branch to the new US team and a tactic to put pressure on Obama to scrap the shield.

"These plans have been suspended because the new US administration is not pushing ahead with the plans to deploy the US missile defence system in Poland and the Czech Republic," an official told the Russian state news agency, Interfax.

"Russia does not need to deploy Iskanders in the Kaliningrad region if the US does not install its missile defence facilities in eastern Europe."

obama managed to get russia to keep nuclear arms pointed away from europe simply by mentingioning the possibility that he will dismantle a missile defense shield "intended" to shoot down the icmbs that iran doesn't have that doesn't even work.

Edited by Fiz, 28 January 2009 - 12:57 PM.

#2 Zod

Zod

YOUR RULER

• MFCEO
  • 20,086 posts

Posted 28 January 2009 - 11:43 AM

What a coward! How the hell are you supposed to wina good ole fashioned arms race by putting down your weapon!!!!

#3 Mr. Scot

Mr. Scot

Football Historian

• HUDDLER
  • 38,070 posts
  • LocationSC

Posted 28 January 2009 - 11:54 AM

Bit of a stretch here given this...

"These plans have been suspended because the new US administration is not pushing ahead with the plans to deploy the US missile defence system in Poland and the Czech Republic," an official told the Russian state news agency, Interfax.

and this...

Obama has not yet decided whether to press ahead with the scheme or to abandon it, although indications suggest he is sceptical about its value.

This concerns me though.

Today's Russian move can be interpreted as a Kremlin olive branch to the new US team and a tactic to put pressure on Obama to scrap the shield.

Like it or not, caving to pressure from Russia could be seen as a sign of weakness.

#4 mmmbeans

mmmbeans

FBI SURVEILLANCE VAN

• HUDDLER
  • 14,000 posts

Posted 28 January 2009 - 12:06 PM

likewise, doing something simply because russia doesn't want us to could be seen as a sign of stupid.

#5 Zaximus

Zaximus

I'm Brett Jensen

• HUDDLER
  • 4,931 posts
  • LocationMatthews, NC

Posted 28 January 2009 - 12:11 PM

likewise, doing something simply because russia doesn't want us to could be seen as a sign of stupid.

How would you feel if Russia wanted to put weapons in Mexico? Or Canada?

#6 Mr. Scot

Mr. Scot

Football Historian

• HUDDLER
  • 38,070 posts
  • LocationSC

Posted 28 January 2009 - 12:13 PM

Realistically, a military enemy not liking something you plan to do is generally a good sign. Would you disagree with that?

Regarding this particular venture, I like the idea of a missile defense system actually. I have questions about its execution.

Or a little place called Cuba.

#7 bredy087

bredy087

The Comeback Kid

• HUDDLER
  • 2,002 posts

Posted 28 January 2009 - 12:13 PM

Bingo!

#8 2jakefansinva

2jakefansinva

Coach Jack Bolton

• HUDDLER
  • 4,669 posts

Posted 28 January 2009 - 12:15 PM

You have to ask that?

#9 Epistaxis

Epistaxis

• HUDDLER
  • 4,182 posts

Posted 28 January 2009 - 12:17 PM

Yeah, I'm pretty sure I read somewhere that they cost a ton and don't really work.

I'm a big fan of talking rather than fighting or unilateral action, but I have to admit to not trusting the russians when they say things like this.

So maybe they don't put missles in the Baltic.
Does anyone really believe they don't have missles capable of doing a similar job in the motherland?

Either way, it is just political fluff imo.

#10 bredy087

bredy087

The Comeback Kid

• HUDDLER
  • 2,002 posts

Posted 28 January 2009 - 12:23 PM

Isnt Kaliningrad where their Baltic Fleet is stationed? If so that along with moving missiles there Kaliningrad would be demolished right off the bat in any confrontaion. Would be wiser for Russia to keep them in the Motherland. So this could be just as tactical as it is diplomatic.

#11 Zaximus

Zaximus

I'm Brett Jensen

• HUDDLER
  • 4,931 posts
  • LocationMatthews, NC

Posted 28 January 2009 - 12:25 PM

Realistically, a military enemy not liking something you plan to do is generally a good sign. Would you disagree with that?

Regarding this particular venture, I like the idea of a missile defense system actually. I have questions about its execution.

Or a little place called Cuba.

Exactly. You know, Russia is pretty nuts, I understand this, but you have to look at things from their perspective sometimes. I honestly think we need to be more worried about countries like Iran/Korea than Russia/China .

#12 Fiz

Fiz

SENIOR HUDDLER

• HUDDLER
  • 10,965 posts

Posted 28 January 2009 - 12:59 PM

Bit of a stretch here given this...

and this...

yeah i fixed that in the op. mea culpa

#13 VaginalWartPuss

VaginalWartPuss

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 165 posts

Posted 28 January 2009 - 01:02 PM

so if we just tell our adversaries we won’t defend ourselves you mean the word will like us again? woooo hooooo.

#14 Fiz

Fiz

SENIOR HUDDLER

• HUDDLER
  • 10,965 posts

Posted 28 January 2009 - 01:03 PM

so if we just tell our adversaries we won’t defend ourselves you mean the word will like us again? woooo hooooo.

yes cooter an ineffective money pit in eastern poland is the key to national defense

once again your analysis cuts through all realpolitik

#15 VaginalWartPuss

VaginalWartPuss

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 165 posts

Posted 28 January 2009 - 01:05 PM

cool. i say out source our national defense to europe and lets really save some money.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Shop at Amazon Contact Us: info@carolinahuddle.com