Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

rodeo

Mass Effect 3

257 posts in this topic

The ending was terrible to me because it was a total break from what the series really had represented in the past... from plot holes to shoddy/reused art to lack of choice... While I did find it annoying there was no real "Happy ending," that alone was not my issue with it. It was a combination of factors.

at one point the developers said about the ME3 ending that you wouldn't feel like you were choosing between options 1, 2, or 3, because the ending was a culmination of playing through all the games. that just wasn't true.

As to the indoctrination, that is damage control I think... or a cheap ploy to sell more DLC afterwards.

I personally have been avoiding any website or anything to do with mass effect 3 till I ha the chance to buy the game and play it myself, I only found out that there was a co-op mode when my brother mentioned it to me 2 weeks before the game came out.

I felt the game was perfect every step along the way till it got to the point where you actually got back to the citadel at that point it was just ok at best, and yes there were a lot of plot holes like what have been explained in the indoctrination theories which in some ways honestly does make some sense but it also doesn't in others.

btw the one thing I still can't figure out is how do the mass relays blow up without whipping out half the galaxy??

The explanation I saw (and mind you it was from some crazy fanboy, haven't looked for Bioware's response) was that the reason for that is that there were two very different types of explosions relating to the relays. I do not know the details well, though. To be honest it sounded to me like a terrible excuse.

I would also agree the game was very very strong up until the Citadel, and I really did enjoy it. The ending didn't "ruin" the game, but it certainly did make me wonder a bit about Bioware since it felt so uncharacteristic of the series.

My feeling is that Bioware didn't really know how to end it properly and still appease the fans. I think no matter how the game ended people would have been disappointed. The whole point of the series is that you are fighting a seemingly unstoppable cycle in the universe, and with that enemy gone the gum drops and cat whiskers ending would have just been too easy. I am really curious to see where Bioware goes with the alternate endings, because if they can retcon these disappointing ones I will be even more satisfied with my purchase.

I've read up on that theory and I don't think it's the case for one of a few reasons, one of them being that indoctrination is a slow process unless you are a machine like the geth and there are also a few warning signs that go with it too, I think TIM was indoctrinated but Shepard not so much.

Remember all the potential Reaper-tech that the Illusive Man used to resurect Shepard, though.

btw there seems to be some real backlash by the fans over the ending, Amazon.com is offering full refunds to unhappy customers and refunds include already opened games.

http://www.analoghype.com/video-games/playstation-3-news/amazon-offering-a-full-refund-on-already-opened-copies-of-mass-effect-3/

Remember all the potential Reaper-tech that the Illusive Man used to resurect Shepard, though.

true, but from what I've just got done reading on the bioware forum, unless they are keeping it a secret just to themselves it seems that there was no indoctrination

rodeo has to convince himself somehow that all those hours weren't wasted on some vague, generic ending

rodeo has to convince himself somehow that all those hours weren't wasted on some vague, generic ending

Because clearly the destination is the only important factor in anything.

PSC has to convince himself somehow that all those hours weren't wasted posting in the thread of a game he's never played.

YOU CAN HAVE THREEWAYS?!?! *restarts*

lol out of about 130 hours of gameplay in the trilogy, there's probably a grand total of 4-5 minutes of implied romance cutscene. yet it's all PSC can talk about because it's the only thing he knows about the series.

He also fails to see the irony of making fun of sex in this, despite A Song of Ice and Fire, which he loves, being largely about the sexual journey of a 13 year old child.