Photo
- - - - -

If AJ Green is the Pick...

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
144 replies to this topic

#136 scarface

scarface

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
HUDDLER

Posted 09 January 2011 - 10:29 PM

Julio Jones

Basically a faster LeFell. I'll stick with Green.

#137 panthersphan

panthersphan

SENIOR HUDDLER

HUDDLER

Posted 09 January 2011 - 10:52 PM

Draft AJ Green....

....tank....

Draft Luck next year...

It could happen....

#138 JawnyBlaze

JawnyBlaze

SUPPORTER

Posted 10 January 2011 - 12:47 AM

First of all, just because you've drafted a position doesn't mean it's filled. With that argument, we shouldn't draft a QB for another 10 or 15 years since we drafted 3 last year. Second of all, you can't count the 89 from 2010 AND 33 from 2011. It's just one player, one pick. We WOULDN'T HAVE HAD the 89th pick last year if we didn't give up the 33. So what we spent of OUR OWN COMMODITIES was last year's 78, 198, and this year's 33. Not exactly breaking the draft pick bank....

Picking Green would be idiotic.

We would have used the following picks on WR in the last two years

From 2010 draft 78, 89, 198
From 2011 draft 1, 33 (Edwards trade)

You simply can't do that. If you guys want a reciever, we are going to have to add a vet through Free Agency.

#139 JawnyBlaze

JawnyBlaze

SUPPORTER

Posted 10 January 2011 - 01:08 AM

In my opinion, Fairley at #1 isn't the way to go. I wouldn't be too opposed if we found a way to trade down to like 5 or 6, someone grabs Green (poo!) then we take Fairley. But only take Fairley if Green isn't available.

First of all, Fairley is known to be a dirty player AND take plays off (I've read both opinions, not saying I know them to be true personally).

Second of all, I've watched all the videos on pretty much all the possibilities for our 1st round pick and Fairley just doesn't impress as much as most of the other options.

Picking at #1, I see two optimal options: A) Cam Newton has an awesome title game, combine, and interviews and FO truly believes he is our franchise QB for the future; or B) AJ Green.

Even though DT is a big need (2nd biggest behind QB, imo) I just don't see Fairley being as good a DT as Green is a WR. I've got ESPN Insider and all that, I've read all they have to say about the potential top picks. I don't agree with Fairley and Green being given the same number. I'd much rather see us pick Green at #1 and maybe Marvin Austin will drop to #65 than Fairley at #1 and getting Devier Posey (who?) or Greg Little in the third (just picking them cuz they're who're close to 65 in the rankings at ESPN).

Even if Austin doesn't drop, I'd feel better going Green, then DT (or OG) in the third than the other way around. I think Landri is a keeper as a penetrating DT, we just need a big body run stuffing DT. Don't need a star, just someone like Kemo to fill space (though I'd love to get a star like Ngata).

#140 JawnyBlaze

JawnyBlaze

SUPPORTER

Posted 10 January 2011 - 01:14 AM

And for QB, I think we can get a stop-gap FA like Kitna, Palmer, Orton, McNabb whoever for this year and if we aren't the worst team again next year we should trade whatever picks it takes to move up to get Luck (don't like video I've seen on Barkley, especially his retarded pre-game ritual...). Otherwise, just wait for the next stud QB and trade whatever picks it takes when the opportunity arises.

#141 bleys

bleys

Simple and Plain

SUPPORTER

Posted 10 January 2011 - 12:11 PM

In my opinion, Fairley at #1 isn't the way to go. I wouldn't be too opposed if we found a way to trade down to like 5 or 6, someone grabs Green (poo!) then we take Fairley. But only take Fairley if Green isn't available.

First of all, Fairley is known to be a dirty player AND take plays off (I've read both opinions, not saying I know them to be true personally).

Second of all, I've watched all the videos on pretty much all the possibilities for our 1st round pick and Fairley just doesn't impress as much as most of the other options.

Picking at #1, I see two optimal options: A) Cam Newton has an awesome title game, combine, and interviews and FO truly believes he is our franchise QB for the future; or B) AJ Green.

Even though DT is a big need (2nd biggest behind QB, imo) I just don't see Fairley being as good a DT as Green is a WR. I've got ESPN Insider and all that, I've read all they have to say about the potential top picks. I don't agree with Fairley and Green being given the same number. I'd much rather see us pick Green at #1 and maybe Marvin Austin will drop to #65 than Fairley at #1 and getting Devier Posey (who?) or Greg Little in the third (just picking them cuz they're who're close to 65 in the rankings at ESPN).

Even if Austin doesn't drop, I'd feel better going Green, then DT (or OG) in the third than the other way around. I think Landri is a keeper as a penetrating DT, we just need a big body run stuffing DT. Don't need a star, just someone like Kemo to fill space (though I'd love to get a star like Ngata).

Those are the 2 I'm leaning towards... I think Green/Orton would be the best route unless Cam turns out to be a better pick..

#142 PantherFanForLife

PantherFanForLife

Banned

Banned

Posted 10 January 2011 - 12:16 PM

And for QB, I think we can get a stop-gap FA like Kitna, Palmer, Orton, McNabb whoever for this year and if we aren't the worst team again next year we should trade whatever picks it takes to move up to get Luck (don't like video I've seen on Barkley, especially his retarded pre-game ritual...). Otherwise, just wait for the next stud QB and trade whatever picks it takes when the opportunity arises.

Sorry but McNabb and Kitna are not stop-gap QBs. They are one year deal(and may not even make it a full season). You need a guy that has 2-3 years in him easily because there is no guarantee that you can draft high enough next year to get a day 1 starter, or a franchise QB being available in off-season 2012. Look at this year. And the last thing you want is to be in the same position of not having a QB year after year. You have to have some consistency there, and you need a QB for a couple of season, replacing him ONLY if we find a better guy that takes the job away not because we have no choice.

Vince Young needs to be in that group there, not McNabb. McNabb is the type of guy you have if you have a solid, play-off bound team missing a QB and you need a guy like that to make a run for it next year. We are NOT that team. So should Matt Moore.

So I say Orton, Moore, Vince Young....Carson Palmer is right on the edge.

Vince Young - 27 years old
Matt Moore - 26 years old
Kyle Orton - 28 years old

Carson Palmer - 31 years old(32 in 2011)

Jon Kitna - 38 years old(will be 39) - Hello Bret Farve!
Donovan McNabb - 34 years old(will be 35)

Edited by PantherFanForLife, 10 January 2011 - 12:25 PM.

#143 Mr ocho nueve

Mr ocho nueve

Cam can't have my Number

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
HUDDLER

Posted 10 January 2011 - 12:18 PM

Why don't we actually try winning games this year? We don't need no freakin' stop gap qb or whatever you call it.

#144 SuperMan

SuperMan

I'm always holding back.

HUDDLER

Posted 10 January 2011 - 12:30 PM

Why don't we actually try winning games this year? We don't need no freakin' stop gap qb or whatever you call it.

a rookie qb isn't going to help us win... especially one thats going to be moved to receiver in the nfl (taylor) or the next Jamarcus russel (newton)

#145 catnip

catnip

• PipPipPipPip
HUDDLER

Posted 10 January 2011 - 12:30 PM

If Smith wants out we will need a vet wr, if not move him around in slot and at left wr. I think we use Edwards as our 3rd QB, which is seldom needed and not waste a position of need and use him in some wildcat. I hope we can trade down and get a top ten pick , a second round pick, and maybe a vet in a trade. We could use a vet right guard and hope Otah returns. We can get best player of need with top 10 pick and bpa with 2nd round pick. we have two third round picks, so go players of need here. Right now go with best option at vet qb depending on how we go on offense . Give Matt Moore a second look if nothing else is a better option.So we have Clausen, a vet QB, and Edwards at our QB position. Our rbs are set and an upgraded oline.
Defensive ends are set and a vet DT along with a high pick at DT. Pick BPA at corner. Go Panthers!