Photo
- - - - -

Just asking but...

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
43 replies to this topic

#31 bleys

bleys

Simple and Plain

• ALL-PRO
  • 15,573 posts

Posted 18 January 2011 - 01:57 PM

The huddle masses eat up whatever marketing slogans the Panther's FO throw out. Sometimes I agree with them, and sometimes I don't. But at least I am not a sheep.

there are those who make their own decisions, there are those who base their decisions on others opinions, and there are those that are obsessed with not being a sheep and base their decision opposite of most others..

hmmm...

Edited by bleys, 18 January 2011 - 05:00 PM.

#32 Kettle

Kettle

I'm Stainless.

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,412 posts

Posted 18 January 2011 - 02:06 PM

i've trusted jerry for the longest time, but after this season i need to see someone signed or his words will just seem empty. he is currently on probation with me.

#33 Happy Panther

Happy Panther

Now even funnier.

• ALL-PRO
  • 18,215 posts

Posted 18 January 2011 - 02:21 PM

He's still on notice.

It's great he picked up a "big name" coach but keep in mind he refused to look at anything besides DC. And only 1 of those was really that good. That's bad business.

His press conference was a mess and showed that his main focus is the CBA. He is driving a lockout as well which is terrible for the Panthers as well as the NFL (not saying the players don't have a hand in it but there are plenty of owners much more ready to get a deal done)

He went cheap last year and needs to fill some holes this year.

Win and all is forgiven.

#34 thefuzz

thefuzz

coppin a feel

• ALL-PRO
  • 8,718 posts

Posted 18 January 2011 - 02:28 PM

He's still on notice.

It's great he picked up a "big name" coach but keep in mind he refused to look at anything besides DC. And only 1 of those was really that good. That's bad business.

His press conference was a mess and showed that his main focus is the CBA. He is driving a lockout as well which is terrible for the Panthers as well as the NFL (not saying the players don't have a hand in it but there are plenty of owners much more ready to get a deal done)

He went cheap last year and needs to fill some holes this year.

Win and all is forgiven.

I agree with some of the others. JR is on probation with me. I won't be spending another red cent on this team until I see him do so. (Coaches may count here)

He is a fan of the NFL, and to a lesser degree the Panthers. I partially blame him for Luck deciding to go back to Stanford with that god awful presser that he gave, and that is something that may take a bit of time to heal.

#35 Udogg

Udogg

Cardiac Victim since 95

• HUDDLER
  • 3,487 posts

Posted 18 January 2011 - 03:42 PM

Is Beason, Kalil, Davis, Williams signed to long term extensions? If not, then my thoughts on JR haven't changed. Although I was never really down on the man, if this works out right he comes out at the end of this with:

1: Cheap 1st round pick as far as salary #
2: Able to basically rebuild team as cap friendly as possible
3: Put himself in position to be a major FA player without the major salary cap ramifications that others may face.

#36 cavic7585

cavic7585

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,127 posts

Posted 18 January 2011 - 03:54 PM

He has had his f' ups. But only a 15 year old would actually believes he doesnt care.

#37 Tarheels23

Tarheels23

Keep Pounding

• HUDDLER
  • 2,718 posts

Posted 18 January 2011 - 03:55 PM

Agree with Cyberjag. I never felt that he stopped caring.

I agree as well! I don't listen to the outside media as much as others do.

#38 PanteraPhenom

PanteraPhenom

• NEWB
  • Pip
  • 12 posts

Posted 18 January 2011 - 03:58 PM

Lets just hope that the ol ' Richardson gives us a major Free Agent at the DT position so we can Draft Fairley and have the good old "Carolina Front Four 2.0". I am happy with Everette Brown, and Charles Johnson. (by the way they combined for 15 sacks). Not too shabby.

#39 riddel

riddel

Banned

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 837 posts

Posted 18 January 2011 - 07:42 PM

What is everyone's opinion of Jerry Richardson now? Every seems to be getting more excited every day... Are you starting to get the feeling back that he actually cares?

I have never doubted that Richardson cares. He typically surrounds himself with very sound mangement (McCormack,Polian, Hurney) although Hurney has come into question over the years. The fact is Richardson manages the Panthers like a fast food franchise and an X NFL player. He didn't make alot playing football and I'm sure he doesn't believe the NFL salaries are fair.

Richardson would like to think of the Panthers as the Steelers in that no player is as big as the franchise, but the difference is the Steelers are excellent at draft selection, free agency and player development. They can cut bait, but they know how to replace the over priced and broken pieces. Richardson and the Panthers have yet to prove that they can do that.

He blames coaches for the Panther's failures on a public stage and has always done this (Capers, Seifert, Fox). This is not the sign of a leader, but a coward. Coaches can only work with the players they are given. I really believe that it's time for him to step down. Once the CBA is finished, he may have to walk away from the game, because a lockout, with Richardson's face as the owner's spokensman, may mean tremendous backlash from the NFL fans once this all goes down.

The owners are making a around $125 million per year whether football is played or not, due to TV contracts, yet they want to reduce the players salaries by 18%? This is ridiculous. Players average 3.3 year careers, meaning they gotta make their money while they can. You see $700K as the average salary in the NFL, but that's factoring in the elite players all the way down to the gap fillers. The NFL is full of haves and have nots when it comes to salaries. The elite players bank the majority of the salary cap money while the good players take most of the rest, leaving the average players and gap players making a a couple 100K a year, which sounds great, but consider 3.3 years and the fact many players are not equipt to manage that money or for life after football.

Richardson wants to line his wallet with cash, reduce players salaries and surround superstar players with average gap fillers, then blame a lack of performance on the coaches. Richardson brought Carolina a franchise and will always be remembered for that, but it's time he allows the younger generation to take over ownership or sell all together. That's my 2 cents. Let the lashing begin.

Edited by riddel, 18 January 2011 - 07:45 PM.

#40 riddel

riddel

Banned

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 837 posts

Posted 18 January 2011 - 07:50 PM

One more thing.....Richardson told you what kind of guy he was in his handling of John Fox this year. The guy was a lame duck coach, but Richardson didn't do the right thing, which would have been to fire Fox and let an interim coach finish out the season, because he wanted to squeeze his last dollar out of Fox and avoid double paying a head coach. So, basically, Richardson screw the fans there too.....he left Fox to finish out the season while shelving players on IR who didn't belong on IR....I understand not risking injury for a wasted season....but how about giving a price break on the last 5 games then? Nah...that would never happen.

#41 Kevin Greene

Kevin Greene

__YOU CAN'T FIRE ME!__

• HUDDLER
  • 18,290 posts

Posted 18 January 2011 - 09:19 PM

Interesting today the Bucs lowered ticket prices for next year. This with a team on the rise that narrowly missed the playoffs this year.
Jerry?

#42 top dawg

top dawg

The Creative Cat

• HUDDLER
  • 7,738 posts

Posted 19 January 2011 - 01:15 AM

Interesting today the Bucs lowered ticket prices for next year. This with a team on the rise that narrowly missed the playoffs this year.
Jerry?

Jerry: Blasphemy!

#43 DaveThePanther2008

DaveThePanther2008

Gonna live and die as a faithful Panther Fan

• HUDDLER
  • 3,496 posts

Posted 19 January 2011 - 01:30 AM

Doesn't anyone remember him telling us he wanted Fox to trim the Vets back after the 08season and Fox wouldn't do it. So 2010 he made them do it.

Fox's biggest problem was he was a veteran Coach. Rookies didn't stand a chance. So while 2010 was abysmal J.R. got what he wanted. Young players playing over vets. This will pay dividends in 2011.

I think JR knows exactly what he was doing. I don't think he thought 2011 was going to be this bad but it is what it is.

You are going to see a huge turnaound in 2011. Mark it down. I didn't say it first but I am on the 2011 Bandwagon.

#44 chef17

chef17

Senior Asshole

• HUDDLER
  • 3,504 posts

Posted 19 January 2011 - 11:47 AM

Doesn't anyone remember him telling us he wanted Fox to trim the Vets back after the 08season and Fox wouldn't do it. So 2010 he made them do it.

Fox's biggest problem was he was a veteran Coach. Rookies didn't stand a chance. So while 2010 was abysmal J.R. got what he wanted. Young players playing over vets. This will pay dividends in 2011.

I think JR knows exactly what he was doing. I don't think he thought 2011 was going to be this bad but it is what it is.

You are going to see a huge turnaound in 2011. Mark it down. I didn't say it first but I am on the 2011 Bandwagon.

I agree with this but honestly, it was a recipe for disaster. Knowing Fox is a veteran coach, you force him to play a bunch of young guys and expect a good season? IMO if JR wanted to play young guys, he should have got a coach who was willing to do so.

Shop at Amazon Contact Us: info@carolinahuddle.com