Photo
- - - - -

CBA News: Heating Up 1/19/2011

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
98 replies to this topic

#97 riddel

riddel

Banned

• PipPipPipPip
Banned

Posted 21 January 2011 - 11:31 AM

I am not going to go back and forth with you since you obviously have an agenda and are arguing without a sound basis.

:iagree:

#98 panthers55

panthers55

Starting all over again

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
HUDDLER

Posted 21 January 2011 - 11:41 AM

You're right. That's heavy, but it's not $33 million. I guess that's really the magical question. How much are they really making?

33 million is probably pretty accurate. Some franchises make closer to 100 million and some are making closer to 5 or 6. If you want to get a rough estimate of what each team gets in revenue just take the cap in 2009 which was 129 million just set up this proportion:

129 = X
60 100

This assumes the cap represent 60% of the gross revenue that each team reports to the league office which would be the player's share. The result is around 215,000,000 gross income. Out of that comes salaries which for the Panthers in 2010 was around 112 million, and the myriad of other expenses. So honestly I think around 33 million is right.

Could teams have other revenue streams like bowl games, concerts, etc. I would think so but it would likely represent no more than 10-15 million per year.

#99 Kevin Greene

Kevin Greene

Blazing Trails Thru the NFC South

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
HUDDLER

Posted 22 January 2011 - 10:34 PM

“We should have a deal,” Rooney said Friday, speaking at Steelers headquarters to three reporters who cover the league on a national basis. “We should not let the disruption of next season happen because of a lockout, a strike, or whatever… It’s in everybody’s best interest to get a deal. The players, of course, want to play, and that’s what should happen.
“The games this year couldn’t be better. The ratings are high? So why would you step back?”
However, Rooney, who now serves as U.S. Ambassador to Ireland, said owners are united in their determination to scrap the current collective-bargaining agreement, which expires in March.
“Status quo is not an option,” he said. “I just believe that [the opposing sides] could work out an agreement. There are points that could make this deal better for everyone.”
Rooney declined to address specifics of the talks, saying he wanted to leave those to the negotiators, but he expressed frustration at the glacial pace of the process.
His were the strongest-worded remarks on the issue from a team owner in months.
“I just think the negotiators should get it together and start doing what they should do, and get a deal,” he said, adding, “If they sit down and work things out, I think they could have a deal rather quickly.”
Rooney said the CBA over the years has gotten “a little too rich on one side” –- meaning the players’ side -– and indicated an agreement might have been reached sooner but for the 2008 death of Gene Upshaw, the former executive director of the NFL Players Assn.
“I think if Gene Upshaw were here, he’s someone I could talk to about this,” he said. “He’s someone who was for the game at all the time.”
Asked whether the owners’ lack of familiarity with current union head DeMaurice Smith has led to “a distrust” that’s complicating negotiations, Rooney said: “I don’t know the personalities. There is maybe distrust. Maybe dislike is a better word. But that’s beyond. You have a situation like this, you’ve got to get a deal. You’ve got to forget personalities.”

Wow.

http://latimesblogs....gotiations.html