Photo
- - - - -

So why not Jim Skipper?

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
44 replies to this topic

#31 rayzor

rayzor

shula is who i thought he was.

Moderators

Posted 27 January 2011 - 03:48 PM

Just because somone is from the 'Fox Era" doesn't mean they will hold this team back. Yeah we do need a new outlook, but keeping the RB coach is not going to make us relive past seasons.

it doesn't necessarily mean that, but of all former fox coaches, skipper is the most likely to hold to fox's old coaching style and philosophy.

#32 Mr. Scot

Mr. Scot

Football Historian

SUPPORTER

Posted 27 January 2011 - 04:27 PM

I imagine that's the sort of thing Rivera would have discussed.

#33 MaineManPanther

MaineManPanther

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
HUDDLER

Posted 27 January 2011 - 08:44 PM

it doesn't necessarily mean that, but of all former fox coaches, skipper is the most likely to hold to fox's old coaching style and philosophy.

But Skipper is a RB coach. To the best of my knowledge, he would not affect how the coaches coach, or the style they run.

#34 SmootsDaddy89

SmootsDaddy89

Just Say No To Boo

SUPPORTER

Posted 28 January 2011 - 02:13 AM

Jim Skipper's such a great coach that it took a QB to help D-Will develop into the player he is now lol.

#35 Miaoww

Miaoww

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
HUDDLER

Posted 28 January 2011 - 04:05 AM

I think its pretty obvious that JR was completely dissatisfied with our offense. I would not want the guy telling him I thought we should keep any part of it's coaching staff around.

What the players want is irrelevant.

Not if your name is DeAngelo Williams it isn't. If he's not happy with the new RB coach he walks.

#36 Mr. Scot

Mr. Scot

Football Historian

SUPPORTER

Posted 28 January 2011 - 06:40 AM

Not if your name is DeAngelo Williams it isn't. If he's not happy with the new RB coach he walks.

I don't think that's a given.

But even accepting that, its not good policy to hire a coach just to please one player. Especially one who's a free agent and could still leave for a better offer anyway.

#37 Zod

Zod

YOUR RULER

MFCEO

Posted 28 January 2011 - 06:44 AM

Not if your name is DeAngelo Williams it isn't.

You haven't been paying any attention to JR have you?

#38 KSpan

KSpan

Bow-chicka-wow-wow!

SUPPORTER

Posted 28 January 2011 - 07:08 AM

Jim Skipper's such a great coach that it took a QB to help D-Will develop into the player he is now lol.

Maybe Vinny should get a look as RB coach.

#39 Mr. Scot

Mr. Scot

Football Historian

SUPPORTER

Posted 28 January 2011 - 07:14 AM

Maybe Vinny should get a look as RB coach.

I know you're probably joking here anyway, but just for the record, Testaverde is said to not be interested in any coaching job unless it's in Tampa.

(has family, doesn't want to move, etc)

#40 OchoNueve

OchoNueve

for those of you that don't habla espanol...

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
HUDDLER

Posted 28 January 2011 - 10:13 AM

I know you're probably joking here anyway, but just for the record, Testaverde is said to not be interested in any coaching job unless it's in Tampa.

(has family, doesn't want to move, etc)

So we will sign him to play QB...

#41 bleys

bleys

Simple and Plain

SUPPORTER

Posted 28 January 2011 - 11:28 AM

:cheers2:

#42 Miaoww

Miaoww

HUDDLER

Posted 28 January 2011 - 11:38 AM

You haven't been paying any attention to JR have you?

Nope and my life is richer for it.

#43 Miaoww

Miaoww

HUDDLER

Posted 28 January 2011 - 11:38 AM

I don't think that's a given.

But even accepting that, its not good policy to hire a coach just to please one player. Especially one who's a free agent and could still leave for a better offer anyway.

He's a FA and loves Skipper. If he doesn't like the new RB coach he WILL go. That is a given.

#44 Mr. Scot

Mr. Scot

Football Historian

SUPPORTER

Posted 28 January 2011 - 12:37 PM

He's a FA and loves Skipper. If he doesn't like the new RB coach he WILL go. That is a given.

Highly unlikely the RB coach will be anyone he already knows, so he'd have nothing on which to form an opinion.

I think whether Williams stays or not has a lot more to do with dollar signs than coaching choices. Plus he's never struck me as an "ultimatum" kind of guy.

#45 Mr. Scot

Mr. Scot

Football Historian

SUPPORTER

Posted 28 January 2011 - 01:27 PM

Side Note: Fox coaches who, for one reason or another, didn't make it over to the Broncos staff

Jeff Davidson (OC) - Mike McCoy already had the OC job; Fox wanted Magazu for OL and the Broncs kept Clancy Barone for TEs; no place for him; wound up as OL Coach for the Vikes
Rip Scherer (QB Coach) - no indication he was asked; took job as QB Coach for the Colorado Buffalos
Jim Skipper (RB Coach) - currently no spot for him, though said to have a "standing offer" from Fox
Geep Chryst (TE Coach) - wasn't asked; spot was filled; joined former pupil Jim Harbaugh as QB Coach in San Francisco
Ron Meeks (DC) - chose to stay with the Panthers in a reduced role (DB Coach)
Brian Baker (DL Coach) - took the same job at UNC; wants to be a college head coach someday
Mike Gillhammer (Safeties) - it was expected that Fox would bring him since they're longtime colleagues, but Fox went for Ron Milus instead
Jerry Simmons (Strength and Conditioning) - no indication that he was asked; Broncs already have a guy there
Sam Mills III (Defensive QC) - chose to stay in Carolina and had duties expanded; no indication that Fox pursued him

The guys that were hired in Denver: Tyke Tolbert (WR) Dave Magazu (OL) Richard Smith (LB) Ron Milus (DB) Jeff Rodgers (ST) Sam Garnes (ST Assistant) and of course Mike Mccoy was already there.

Rodgers older brother Jay is also on the Broncos staff (Defensive QC).

Edited by Mr Scot, 28 January 2011 - 01:58 PM.