• Hey There!

Please register to see fewer ads and a better viewing experience:100_Emoji_42x42:

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

lightsout

So I got called an atheist today

Over 70% of scientist do not believe in god. That percentage is as high as it has ever been. Over 95% of scientist in America reject the intelligent design. That number includes scientist that work in fields not related to biology, orgin of life etc.

You know what's wild? Time magazine put Is God Dead? on its cover in the late 60s. We've made very little progress.

people don't need a reason to be judgemental. religion problems = people problems.

Ya'll kinda missed my point and got hung up on one sentence. I'll agree people are naturally judgmental in a way. But why give them a reason? I can live with people doing things " just because", but when you think your backed by God in your actions that makes you a dangerous person. Muslims flying into buildings is just as bad as Christians killing gay people. And they both get that from their holy book. The book isn't Holy if you can find reason to kill people in it. People have their own problems in life they don't need a Holy book to know right from wrong. And they surely don't need one telling them they will be punished if they don't act just like the book tells them to. Only sheep need a Shepard....

according to you it is and you're allowed to have that opinion.

No...that is accurate. I mean, I hate to say much of anything involving religion is real and true, but having faith (particularly in religion) is lack of evidence. Prove God is real. Don't worry, I will wait. There may be things you can point to to try and make a case, but you can't prove there is or isn't a god. It is all a matter of faith/belief. Just because one believes in something, it doesn't make it real/true. See also, Santa Claus.

according to you it is and you're allowed to have that opinion.

Faith is a belief that is not based on proof per Webster. If you disagree then please give me your definition.

Even when I read the Bible it's pretty evident that that is what faith means. When I listened to my preacher preach it was pretty evident that is what faith means. When I talk to Christians and ask them questions about their religion and they don't have reasons for what they believe they say, "that's what faith is for". If there were evidence and proof then faith wouldn't be needed.

I'm curious how u define faith.

I love this analogy because it's about as ridiculous as the actual belief. Deserving hell because one lacks faith is as ridiculous as deserving hell because they used 2-ply paper towels.

Your answer misses the point of the discussion just as completely as Cantrell's did.

Sheesh. Does nobody on here know how to think allegorically? :nonod:

The question at the heart of the allegory was this: If I believe your life or your eternal state is in danger, should I make some effort to tell you about it or just leave you to your fate without caring?

Your answer misses the point of the discussion just as completely as Cantrell's did.

Sheesh. Does nobody on here know how to think allegorically? :nonod:

The question at the heart of the allegory was this: If I believe your life or your eternal state is in danger, should I make some effort to tell you about it or just leave you to your fate without caring?

do you honestly believe that the vast majority of americans are unaware of christianity to the point that you have to confront them about it if you see them "living their life wrong"? and do you believe it's an atheist's place to walk directly up to you and tell you that you're wasting your life by dedicating it to some invisible being in the sky? what's the difference between you believing that someone is risking eternal damnation and confronting them about it and atheists believing that you're wasting your one and only life and confronting you about it?

No...that is accurate. I mean, I hate to say much of anything involving religion is real and true, but having faith (particularly in religion) is lack of evidence. Prove God is real. Don't worry, I will wait. There may be things you can point to to try and make a case, but you can't prove there is or isn't a god. It is all a matter of faith/belief. Just because one believes in something, it doesn't make it real/true. See also, Santa Claus.

No its not accurate..difference between faith and blind faith.

Ya'll kinda missed my point and got hung up on one sentence. I'll agree people are naturally judgmental in a way. But why give them a reason? I can live with people doing things " just because", but when you think your backed by God in your actions that makes you a dangerous person. Muslims flying into buildings is just as bad as Christians killing gay people. And they both get that from their holy book. The book isn't Holy if you can find reason to kill people in it. People have their own problems in life they don't need a Holy book to know right from wrong. And they surely don't need one telling them they will be punished if they don't act just like the book tells them to. Only sheep need a Shepard....

the real question is

is that stuff you're talking about actually in the book?

No its not accurate..difference between faith and blind faith.

no, that's not right at all actually.

belief in god requires a leap of faith. this is the belief in something that's unprovable. blind faith is when you have an unquestioning/nondiscriminatory devotion to someone/something.

i mean, are you seriously going to sit there and say that faith is the belief in something provable?

no, that's not right at all actually.

belief in god requires a leap of faith. this is the belief in something that's unprovable. blind faith is when you have an unquestioning/nondiscriminatory devotion to someone/something.

i mean, are you seriously going to sit there and say that faith is the belief in something provable?

when did I ever say that?

:rolleyes:

do you honestly believe that the vast majority of americans are unaware of christianity to the point that you have to confront them about it if you see them "living their life wrong"? and do you believe it's an atheist's place to walk directly up to you and tell you that you're wasting your life by dedicating it to some invisible being in the sky? what's the difference between you believing that someone is risking eternal damnation and confronting them about it and atheists believing that you're wasting your one and only life and confronting you about it?

Swing and a miss. Strike two :nonod:

Hidden

Well in one belief system the followers are called to do it for the sake of others by a higher power in the other they're just doing it for the hell of it(no pun intended).