49 replies to this topic

#1 Happy Panther

Happy Panther

Now even funnier.

• ALL-PRO
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 17,040 posts

Posted 08 February 2011 - 10:04 AM

Addresses first pick and Clausen and the chances of trading down...nothing new but hey we are getting the press

#2 Happy Panther

Happy Panther

Now even funnier.

• ALL-PRO
  • 17,040 posts

Posted 08 February 2011 - 10:06 AM

Panthers will take Fairley or Bowers
Clausen wasn't given a chance with the lame duck coaching staff :rolleyes:
Hurney is a wheeler dealer who would love to trade down but may not find a partner.

See nothing new

#3 CatMan72

CatMan72

KEEP POUNDING

• HUDDLER
  • 14,980 posts

Posted 08 February 2011 - 10:06 AM

It's about time...

#4 CatMan72

CatMan72

KEEP POUNDING

• HUDDLER
  • 14,980 posts

Posted 08 February 2011 - 10:07 AM

Panthers will take Fairley or Bowers
Clausen wasn't given a chance with the lame duck coaching staff :rolleyes:
Hurney is a wheeler dealer who would love to trade down but may not find a partner.

See nothing new

I think there's a certain degree of legitimacy to this idea.

#5 Jackofalltrades

Jackofalltrades

OWN the Line of Scrimmage

• HUDDLER
  • 17,589 posts
  • LocationNC

Posted 08 February 2011 - 10:11 AM

Really don't know how you would say otherwise, but plenty do.

#6 C47

C47

89...Panther for Life...

• HUDDLER
  • 12,171 posts

Posted 08 February 2011 - 10:16 AM

Really don't know how you would say otherwise, but plenty do.

Oh I don't think he was given a fair chance by the former coaching staff by any means. However, he also didn't show that he could command the offense. Outside of one half of football in Seattle he showed zero progression from game to game and by the end of the season was a worse QB then when he started. Maybe that will change this season maybe not, but there's no denying that we have a HUGE question mark at QB going into this season. How the coaching staff deals with this question mark (working with Clausen, drafting a QB #1, bringing in a vet, starting Moore etc etc..) will determine our success or lack of success this season.....

#7 g5jamz

g5jamz

Is back

• HUDDLER
  • 18,338 posts

Posted 08 February 2011 - 10:16 AM

Yep.

Let's be honest. We all know Fox. We know how he would have gameplanned with the run as the focus. When the game plan had to be deviated because of the fail...do you really think we had any semblemce of passing playcalling extravagance?

Give him one more year. Then sell the farm to get Luck if he fails.

#8 C47

C47

89...Panther for Life...

• HUDDLER
  • 12,171 posts

Posted 08 February 2011 - 10:20 AM

Yep.

Let's be honest. We all know Fox. We know how he would have gameplanned with the run as the focus. When the game plan had to be deviated because of the fail...do you really think we had any semblemce of passing playcalling extravagance?

Give him one more year. Then sell the farm to get Luck if he fails.

If what he showed last year is what he's got we won't need to sell much of a farm....

#9 Lout

Lout

Draft Guru

• HUDDLER
  • 2,416 posts
  • LocationTulsa, OK

Posted 08 February 2011 - 10:20 AM

Mike Shula and Chud need to 'scout' Clausen and give him a workout just like any other draft prospect. They should also scout/workout Gabbert and a couple other QBs in the draft.. go with the guy that will fit their scheme. I don't think Clausen is the type of guy to run the air coryell offense.

#10 DaCityKats

DaCityKats

feed KB 2014

• HUDDLER
  • 8,523 posts
  • LocationDa City

Posted 08 February 2011 - 10:21 AM

i thought it was coaching until i seen wr running wide open across the field. so ima say 75% clausen, 25% coaching.

#11 C47

C47

89...Panther for Life...

• HUDDLER
  • 12,171 posts

Posted 08 February 2011 - 10:25 AM

i thought it was coaching until i seen wr running wide open across the field. so ima say 75% clausen, 25% coaching.

This is my biggest problem. I saw too many plays where WRs were open, and Clausen either A: wasn't going through his progressions, B: playing the role of Captain Checkdown or C: was already scrambling out of the pocket way before defenders got close to him and didn't have the arm strength to hit said open WR on the run.....

#12 SPANKY

SPANKY

Smitty hugger

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 421 posts

Posted 08 February 2011 - 10:25 AM

The only way to know how Jimmy or any other QB we had on the roster last year will look is to give them a shot with the new coaching staff and healthy oline. Could'nt see anything for the smoke and flames from the trainwreck that was our 2010 season.

#13 DaCityKats

DaCityKats

feed KB 2014

• HUDDLER
  • 8,523 posts
  • LocationDa City

Posted 08 February 2011 - 10:29 AM

This is my biggest problem. I saw too many plays where WRs were open, and Clausen either A: wasn't going through his progressions, B: playing the role of Captain Checkdown or C: was already scrambling out of the pocket way before defenders got close to him and didn't have the arm strength to hit said open WR on the run.....

exactly there were times when he bailed for no reason.the biggest set should belong to the qb and clausen showed he didnt have a pair.

#14 Kyle82

Kyle82

• HUDDLER
  • 3,823 posts
  • LocationRock Hill SC

Posted 08 February 2011 - 10:52 AM

Yep...now that the Super Bowl is over it's all about the draft and labor negotiations.

#15 MHS831

MHS831

• HUDDLER
  • 6,905 posts

Posted 08 February 2011 - 11:04 AM

Oh I don't think he was given a fair chance by the former coaching staff by any means. However, he also didn't show that he could command the offense. Outside of one half of football in Seattle he showed zero progression from game to game and by the end of the season was a worse QB then when he started. Maybe that will change this season maybe not, but there's no denying that we have a HUGE question mark at QB going into this season. How the coaching staff deals with this question mark (working with Clausen, drafting a QB #1, bringing in a vet, starting Moore etc etc..) will determine our success or lack of success this season.....

Matt Moore was experienced and bench seasoned, a 6-2 record and a QB rating in the high 80s. He bombed. Clausen was a green rookie who didn't even get all of the second-team reps in camp or practice until week 3.

Now, for the QB to succeed in ANY organization, many things have to be in place FIRST. Gameplan, supporting cast, coaching. HE DID NOT HAVE THESE THINGS.

I have these questions for all of the Clausen bashers:

1. Did you think we had a solid gameplan?
2. Do you think a rookie QB should perform adequately behind 3 reserve linemen?
3. Was it wise to bring in Clausen as soon as they did? If they cared about 2011 and beyond, would they have done this?
4. Do you think it was possible that Fox knew he did not have a contract for 2011, knew that JR cut his veterans to play young people, so he played JC before he was ready to stick it to the owner?
5. Smith was 31 and double teamed and his other WRs were rookies. JC was not very familiar with them because they were rookies and he had not been practicing with the second team. His TE was slow, and his RBs, often third and fourth teamers, were horrible blockers. The OC was predictable. Recipe for success?
6. Now, lets look at the people criticizing Clausen. I imagine they are the same people who scream at kids at a t-ball game and fight with the other parents, coaches, and umpires. Frustrated athletes who have no patience who create unrealistic standards for everyone else and make excuses for their own inadequacies. Miserable folks who want instant success because they desperately need to be associated with winning in some way. The hazed become the hazers; rejects and failures are given a voice to blast someone's failure to achieve excellence regarless of variables. If you really knew football, you would not judge until the problems surrounding the position were fixed. Maybe he is not good, but to bash a person for failing in a situatuation few if any QB in the history of the NFL could make successful shows a childish, ignorant approach to football and perhaps reveals more about their personal insecurities, inabilities, and frustration than Jimmy Clausen's.
7. What will you do if JC makes the pro bowl? Kurt Warner, Jake Delhomme, even Kyle Orton should demonstrate more than adequately what it is like to succeed after being written off.

Just admit that it is too early to tell. You don't test drive a mustang on dirt roads and then bitch about the ride.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Shop at Amazon Contact Us: info@carolinahuddle.com