Photo
- - - - -

So hypothetically speaking

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
94 replies to this topic

#91 raleigh-panther

raleigh-panther

SUPPORTER

Posted 13 February 2011 - 04:27 PM

If you think there's any comparison between Jimmy Clausen and Andrew Luck, .

While I always respect your opinions, there is no comparison between Clausen and Newton either.

Newton has the physcial stature and athleticism that Clausen will never have. Ask me if I think Newton is an upgrade over Clausen, absolutely, at least he can pull the ball down and run for his life if he needs to.

Trust me, I'm not getting hyped about any prospect after the Luck fiasco, but, the list of QBs the Panthers have passed on is both long, and sad. If this young man shows maturity and capability in his interviews, he will go in the top 5, again because of the physical stature and rare athleticism. Those are god-given and not teachable. The other things are. As for Clausen, I liked him in college, but, I'll say again, what bothered me, is when the pass was there to be made, with no pressure, all he had to do was hit the target, he could not do it, and I very much liked the boy at ND.

Net, Rivera and Shula have looked at the tape of him. I trust them to make the right selection.

To your other point about the race card, I do sometimes think that black QBs are held to a far different standard than white and for the record, I am white.
Not saying you are looking at it from a racist point of value at all; but, it is not hard to understand why KT and some of the other posters think as they do.

Think, what the reaction would have been to ole Big Ben, for example, if he had been black vs. white. His happy ass would be in jail right now, no question, as it should have been. No mea culpeas make up for sexual assault.

#92 SmootsDaddy89

SmootsDaddy89

Just Say No To Boo

SUPPORTER

Posted 13 February 2011 - 08:44 PM

You can have a prejudice against a certain group without consciously saying, "I hate group X."

There is a HUGE stigma against black quarterbacks. If you don't think so, look at the knocks against Newton.

"He's a running QB." Well how many white running QBs are there?

"We don't know how intelligent he is." We don't know how intelligent any of the QBs are, and even the wonderlic isn't the end all be all. But I never hear this as a reason not to draft Gabbert or Mallett. Even though Mallett has probably killed half of his brain cells with alcohol by now. poo, Jimmy Clausen failed 6th grade. Cam didn't do that.

"He might be a Jamarcus Russell or Vince Young and not want to work hard!" Again, so could any other QB in the draft. But outside of people calling Gabbert fat, I've never heard this complaint lobbed at white quarterbacks.

Outside of "he was in a spread offense" (which didn't stop Sanchez and Bradford from being top 5 picks. Yes, I know Bradford wasn't in an exclusively spread offense, but he wasn't as "pro ready" as everyone thinks Luck is.) all of the negatives people throw against him are used EXCLUSIVELY against black qbs similar to Newton

I guess you could add "He'll be a project" to that list as well, but even Luck isn't going to come in his rookie year and play like Tom Brady.

My favorite is the people who are concerned because of Cecil Newton. Oh my god, a black male with a father who takes an active interest in his son's well-being. THE HORROR!

If you took Cam Newton's attributes and put them on a white QB, well, you'd pretty much have Andrew Luck in a spread offense, but at the least, a lot fewer people would have a problem with taking that dude #1 overall.

Edited by SmootsDaddy89, 13 February 2011 - 08:48 PM.

#93 rico6

rico6

Shit.

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
HUDDLER

Posted 13 February 2011 - 08:49 PM

You can have a prejudice against a certain group without consciously saying, "I hate group X."

There is a HUGE stigma against black quarterbacks. If you don't think so, look at the knocks against Newton.

"We don't know how intelligent he is." We don't know how intelligent any of the QBs are, and even the wonderlic isn't the end all be all. But I never hear this as a reason not to draft Gabbert or Mallett. Even though Mallett has probably killed half of his brain cells with alcohol by now. poo, Jimmy Clausen failed 6th grade. Cam didn't do that.

"He might be a Jamarcus Russell or Vince Young and not want to work hard!" Again, so could any other QB in the draft. But outside of people calling Gabbert fat, I've never heard this complaint lobbed at white quarterbacks.

Outside of "he was in a spread offense" (which didn't stop Sanchez and Bradford from being top 5 picks. Yes, I know Bradford wasn't in an exclusively spread offense, but he wasn't as "pro ready" as everyone thinks Luck is.) all of the negatives people throw against him are used EXCLUSIVELY against black qbs similar to Newton

I guess you could add "He'll be a project" to that list as well, but even Luck isn't going to come in his rookie year and play like Tom Brady.

My favorite is the people who are concerned because of Cecil Newton. Oh my god, a black male with a father who takes an active interest in his son's well-being. THE HORROR!

If you took Cam Newton's attributes and put them on a white QB, well, you'd pretty much have Andrew Luck in a spread offense, but at the least, a lot fewer people would have a problem with taking that dude #1 overall.

Excellent read.

+reps

#94 Mr. Scot

Mr. Scot

Football Historian

SUPPORTER

Posted 13 February 2011 - 11:25 PM

Who on here is clamoring for Gabbert, Mallett or Locker?

If the only thing people have against Newton is his race, then why isn't anyone arguing for one of those guys?

#95 chef17

chef17

Senior Asshole

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
HUDDLER

Posted 14 February 2011 - 12:54 AM

People called The Golden Calf of Bristol a running QB and he's white :D