Photo
- - - - -

Why drafting a QB is more likely than you think

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
58 replies to this topic

#25 MHS831

MHS831

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
HUDDLER

Posted 18 February 2011 - 01:53 PM

before the "but"...

implication is we aren't in a position that we have competition and we need to do something different. things aren't good enough as they are.

the writings on the wall. rivera's not sold at all on the guy.

if clausen is the guy going into next year, it will do little more than show how bad they thought the other choices are or it will show hurney's stubbornness and be more of a testament to his inability to spot QB talent. dude really doesn't need to be making the call on who the QB is going to be and he's going to really screw rivera over if he forces rivera to go with clausen.

i think he's trying not to piss off clausen or hurt his fragile psyche by including him (and pike) in on that conversation, but he can't honestly believe that clausen is the guy unless he really is deluded and thinks he can do no wrong.

I agree with almost every word. I think they are curious, however, as to how he will do under the new leadership/system. They obviously want him to succeed, and that means that they probably don't dive into the QB search with the same vigor you would probably like them to. They are going to ride the fence for a season. Bring in a veteran, watch Clausen and Pike. When they know that Clausen is a bust and Pike will never be a #2 much less a starter, then they go hard after a franchise QB.

If the Panthers draft Newton, it means to me that they still need a veteran. Newton needs a year or even 2 to develop. Considering the fact that we might not have a rookie cap and he has so many red flags (along with his freakish athleticism and skills), I am not sure you can throw $55 Million at a guy who will give you 2-3 years of starting before he wants a HUGE contract-- or busts, joining Russell on the solid gold park bench.

I think a team like Buffalo or Arizona will make a play to move up for him.

#26 Snake

Snake

Rivera did What???

HUDDLER

Posted 18 February 2011 - 02:11 PM

we also didn't just invest two picks into DT last draft, one being our first pick of the draft...

There are some servicable QBs in FA this year, the issue is that we don't want a servicable QB, we want an elite one, as you pointed out.

There may not be an elite QB in this draft, whereas there might be an elite DT.

Forget the past!!!! That was John Fox and his staff.

#27 SmootsDaddy89

SmootsDaddy89

Just Say No To Boo

SUPPORTER

Posted 18 February 2011 - 02:20 PM

I like how when we drafted Jimmy, the biggest benefit with him was that he was a 2nd round pick, so if he turned out to be a bust, we didn't have much invested in him.

But now presented with the prospect of drafting Cam Newton, dudes are getting mad like, "OMG YOU CAN'T DRAFT A QB #1 OVERALL!!! WE JUST DRAFTED JIMMY IN THE SECOND ROUND LAST YEAR!!! AND TONY PIKE IN THE 6TH!! LOOK HOW MUCH WE HAVE INVESTED IN THE QB POSITION HURRRR"

This is basically like being mad that the Panthers drafted D-Will in the first round in 2006 after we drafted Eric Shelton in the 2nd round in 2005 lol.

Edited by SmootsDaddy89, 18 February 2011 - 02:22 PM.

#28 CarolinaKat

CarolinaKat

Football Jesus

• PipPipPipPip
HUDDLER

Posted 18 February 2011 - 06:15 PM

I like how when we drafted Jimmy, the biggest benefit with him was that he was a 2nd round pick, so if he turned out to be a bust, we didn't have much invested in him.

But now presented with the prospect of drafting Cam Newton, dudes are getting mad like, "OMG YOU CAN'T DRAFT A QB #1 OVERALL!!! WE JUST DRAFTED JIMMY IN THE SECOND ROUND LAST YEAR!!! AND TONY PIKE IN THE 6TH!! LOOK HOW MUCH WE HAVE INVESTED IN THE QB POSITION HURRRR"

This is basically like being mad that the Panthers drafted D-Will in the first round in 2006 after we drafted Eric Shelton in the 2nd round in 2005 lol.

This is so true I want to get a painting of it. Hang it above my fire place. Below will be my kung fu grip Jimmy Clausen action figure getting kicked in the balls by a random GI JOE toy

#29 MADs_Dad211

MADs_Dad211

• Pip
ROOKIE

Posted 18 February 2011 - 06:49 PM

What if we went after McNabb and ride him for a year or two, mostly as a mentor to Clausen.

#30 TheRealDeal

TheRealDeal

TROLLOLOL

Posted 18 February 2011 - 07:13 PM

This is so true I want to get a painting of it. Hang it above my fire place. Below will be my kung fu grip Jimmy Clausen action figure getting kicked in the balls by a random GI JOE toy

You play with dolls?

#31 carolinashawn

carolinashawn

Pure Awesomeness

• PipPip
ROOKIE

Posted 18 February 2011 - 07:14 PM

For the sake of arguement if we were going after a QB with the #1, wouldn't it make more sense to trade the pick to the Eagles for Kolb. I mean, you at least know the upside (above average) immediately. Just given my .02. If I had to choose between Newton/Gabbert or Kolb, it would be Kolb.

#32 TheRealDeal

TheRealDeal

TROLLOLOL

Posted 18 February 2011 - 07:17 PM

For the sake of arguement if we were going after a QB with the #1, wouldn't it make more sense to trade the pick to the Eagles for Kolb. I mean, you at least know the upside (above average) immediately. Just given my .02. If I had to choose between Newton/Gabbert or Kolb, it would be Kolb.

Kolb is a poor man's Matt Moore. Do not trade anything for Kolb. No.

#33 MaineManPanther

MaineManPanther

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
HUDDLER

Posted 18 February 2011 - 07:20 PM

While the odds are more or less the same. The fact is picking a bad QB hurts a team significantly more the picking a bad DT.

We shouldn't just pick a QB because we need to, as with any position.

Personally,if the FO feels strongly about a specific QB in the draft, doesn't feel confident in our current bunch, and can't trade down, then I don't have a problem getting a QB with the first pick.
Our FO have proven there worth in the first round.

#34 panthers55

panthers55

Starting all over again

HUDDLER

Posted 18 February 2011 - 07:41 PM

While the odds are more or less the same. The fact is picking a bad QB hurts a team significantly more the picking a bad DT.

We shouldn't just pick a QB because we need to, as with any position.

Personally,if the FO feels strongly about a specific QB in the draft, doesn't feel confident in our current bunch, and can't trade down, then I don't have a problem getting a QB with the first pick.
Our FO have proven there worth in the first round.

THe only way it sets you back is if you not only pick a QB but you pay him a ton of money and feel compelled to stick with him even when he plays poorly. With a rookie cap almost assured, it means that although the first pick will be expensive, it won't be the 70 million deal like Ryan got. It means that you don't end up with a guy you have to start right away or stick with no matter what. You can also bring him along which improves the chances you don't have a bust.
I would think that a bust number 1 pick hurts you anyway you go. Unless you are Detroit and get one the next year too. LOL

Edited by panthers55, 18 February 2011 - 09:37 PM.

#35 raleigh-panther

raleigh-panther

SUPPORTER

Posted 18 February 2011 - 08:34 PM

it will take balls to go after newton, but it's the kind of balls that will make you serious contenders.

and for all that "it will set the franchise abck 2-3 years if he busts" crap...what is really going to set this franchise back 2-3 years and probably 6 years is if we go out and get some stop gap player while we wait and see if clausen or pike has what it takes and let them sit a year or two more, because if they don't have it and you wait on them (or any young QB) a couple years before you give them a shot and then give them a couple more years of PT before you form a decision on him and then he doesn't turn out then you have to do the whole thing all over again. that is how you find yoursleves on the bottom for 5-6 years. that is why we are in this situation to begin with because we were too scared of making a mistake with a QB or too blind to see how big a deal getting an actual franchise QB in here is.

Rayzor is right in my opinion, but, I often think he is.

Safe and boring, that's what the Panthers have been for many years.

Where has it gotten them?

I believe I heard Rivera say 'tall QB' several times in the podcast, and if there is on thing Clausen isn't it is tall. Pike is tall, but, that is about it, a wasted 6th round pick.

Between Newton and Gabbert, just chalk me up for Newton, and I have no stats to prove it, other than the feeling that he has more athletic ability than any QB.

One thing is for damned sure, he could probably run for a first down, vs. checkdowns for lost yardage.

#36 mav1234

mav1234

HUDDLER

Posted 18 February 2011 - 09:31 PM

meh, we can't keep throwing our first pick at QB. If we take Newton, we better stick with him even if he blows next year...