• Please log in to reply
201 replies to this topic

#121 coralreefer_1

coralreefer_1

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 339 posts

Posted 17 July 2011 - 10:30 AM

So much talk about our team can afford to let him go because we have RB talent in reserves.

However the one thing that hasn't been mentioned yet is the fact that even though we have RB talent in full supply, all of it is somewhat questionable when we consider injuries, fumbles, split playing time...etc etc.

That might be all well and good for some other team, but we are a team that had atrocious QB play last year, and a team going into a season (hopefully a season) with no signed vet QB, Jimmy Clausen (scream) and rookie Cam. I know so many like to believe that Cam is going to part the skies like God and drop golden turds on Charlotte, but the undeniable fact remains that our running game is the only aspect of our offense that has PROVEN to be viable.

If I had any sense that we might be able to have at least a decent pass offense, I might feel ok with him leaving and putting the full load on JStew and the others. However again despite all the hype, Cam hasn't played a single down in the NFL, and we all saw what Clausen could do last year.

For the sake of having at least 1 decent aspect of our offense, and not ruining cam by putting him into a position where he may have to force passes more often, lets hope there is some way DW stays here~

#122 OneBadassCat

OneBadassCat

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,082 posts

Posted 17 July 2011 - 10:38 AM

I think it also has to do with how much faith the staff has in Mike Goodson. Personally I think he's going to be a big player sooner or later. But someday, maybe in a year or 2 he's going to become more effective than Deangelo.

So then we'll have a RB who just signed a big new contract and is now 30 something and then a RB who's extremely young and entering the prime of his career and entering it much earlier than Deangelo, whom we've buried under 2 RB's and probably won't feel like resigning with us. But at least we have JStew who ought to be good for us for a very long time.

I want Deangelo back as much as anyone but we can't break the bank for him. We have too many other needs. If it's the end of double trouble then we'll just have to make a new tandem.

#123 pantherfan49

pantherfan49

Angry inventor

• HUDDLER
  • 5,338 posts

Posted 17 July 2011 - 10:43 AM

You act like he's worthless. DWill is still very much the guy he was in 08, he's just 28. He hasn't been that worn down in his time in the NFL. If our season wasn't so worthless last year DWill probably would have played if it meant something.

I don't believe his college days have caught up with him and I as long as he splits carries I don't think they will. He hasn't had a major injury in his time in the NFL. I'd wager he still has the same measurables as he was drafted.

He lost a full ypc last year. He ran a ton in college also. There are a lot of reasons to think that his tread is wearing thin.

He may still have some left in him, but he isn't worth getting into a bidding war on.

#124 MHS831

MHS831

• HUDDLER
  • 6,805 posts

Posted 17 July 2011 - 11:10 AM

THis will upset those who think you can have your cake and eat it too--You want to get great, to make a run, to become more than mediocre? Then you lose the blind loyalty to players. Atlanta and New Orleans are not our main competition--Tampa Bay is. They are the next wave. They are as young as we are (if you take Kasay out of the formula) and they have $59 million of cap space used--they will have to spend $70 million. We need to consider this a 2-year building process. By 2013, we are in the fight. However, the $30-35 million we spent keeping Steve Smith (who will be 34 when we are ready to contend) and Williams (30 years old) here for 2 years is money that could have gone toward other pieces. Heck, Smith is a cancer when we lose and DW has been "rode hard". They will have no tread left when we are ready to make a run. I love them both, but keeping DW means Goodson and Sutton stay in the garage. When their contracts expire (in a year or two), they will look to go elsewhere.

If I were a GM, I am not sure I would ever sign a RB to a second contract. Get 4 years or so out of them and move them on. Use your $$ on QB, OL, DL, CB, and WR. They come in, play immediately, and are usually out of the league by age 30. We have 3 other capable backs-time to get something out of them.

Smith is a speed WR. Most all hit the wall at 32. Think about WRs who play a long time in this league-beyond age 32. They are bigger guys with great body control and hands. Smith knows this, which is why he can't wait for the next bus.

The money we would save by trading SS and not spend by letting DW walk could make us great. That is reality. Pout if you must, but Goodson averaged as many yards per carry behind an injured line as DW and Stew. If he can tote the mail at his salary, why pay someone 8 times more?

#125 Gipetto

Gipetto

SWAG SONIC

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,300 posts

Posted 17 July 2011 - 11:29 AM

Posted Image

#126 pantherj

pantherj

• HUDDLER
  • 3,433 posts

Posted 17 July 2011 - 11:49 AM

It comes down to what positions our new coaching staff wants to have filled with very good and elite players. Is the new coaching staff comfortable with replacing Williams with Goodson?

Contract:

"Mike Goodson signed a four-year, $2.242 million contract at the end of June in '09 that included a $492,000 signing bonus. Terms of the contract are below:

2010 - $395,000

2011 - $480,000

2012 - $565,000

2013 - Free Agent"

That's a nice cheap contract considering his talent level.

I'm leaning toward paying Williams the fortune he's going to want because I think both Stewart and Goodson are likely to be injured and miss several games next season. Stewart has had major toe and achilles tendon injuries, and he takes a lot of big hits on short yardage runs. I'd say it's likely he'll miss at least a few games next season. As for Goodson, he's tough, but with his slim build I don't think he can take the number of blows Williams can without being injured. Goodson is extremely fast, he runs like he's shot out of a cannon, and slams into anyone. But how much can his smaller frame take? It's risky to let Williams go, and expensive to keep him.

#127 pantherclaw

pantherclaw

Wise Ass

• HUDDLER
  • 6,469 posts
  • LocationGalveston

Posted 17 July 2011 - 12:18 PM

Not much mileage on those tires tho.

He came into the league with the most milage/yardage in collegiate history. He has shared the load in the NFL. And that leads many to think like you are...but I don't see how anyone can dismiss he was memphis's offense.

#128 pantherfan49

pantherfan49

Angry inventor

• HUDDLER
  • 5,338 posts

Posted 17 July 2011 - 12:41 PM

People tend to forget how good sut is.

#129 YoungPanthers89

YoungPanthers89

Lucy Snorebush

• HUDDLER
  • 10,799 posts
  • LocationNC

Posted 17 July 2011 - 12:47 PM

double trouble was fun while it lasted

#130 SOJA

SOJA

Official Panthers Fan

• HUDDLER
  • 9,292 posts

Posted 17 July 2011 - 01:28 PM

I feel like we will resign him

#131 SCMunnerlyn1

SCMunnerlyn1

The Fuhckening has begun

• HUDDLER
  • 5,322 posts
  • LocationValdosta Georgia

Posted 17 July 2011 - 01:30 PM

I personally can't wait for the swarm of people on here who will flood the admin pm inbox with screenname change requests

" urrr, you know since he isn't playing for us any more can I change my name from xoxo34williamsGOATsuprfnR0XXoxox to just GIT-R-DUNN?"

Oh how I hope I never have to do this :'(

#132 ncmonzta

ncmonzta

CBA=Offer U Can't Refuse

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,781 posts

Posted 17 July 2011 - 01:48 PM

What makes some people think D-Will is so expendable? He would've had another top rb season if he didn't get injured. You can't just look as his ypc and say he's declining. Think about how many dumb draw plays or obvious run up the middle into every defender play was called. Now think about the explosiveness he displayed when he gets into the backfield. Goodson is a great option at 3rd running back, but he can't fill d-will's shoes. Stewart can't carry the load by himself. He needs D-will. He at least has a few years left of top 5 rb production, so why would we be so willing to just let him go?
We also need Smitty. If we can't get another player to fill his shoes as a no.1 reciever why the hell would we move him just for cap room. That's the same type of mindset that got us 2-14. If playmakers can still make plays you don't get rid of them until they can no longer do so. That's why you make cap room, to pay playmakers.:out: Are the dolphins ready to send off Brown, the jags ready to send off drew, the colts ready to send off wayne, the 9ers ready to send off gore, titans ready to send off johnson? Hell no

Edited by ncmonzta, 17 July 2011 - 01:53 PM.

#133 CatMan72

CatMan72

KEEP POUNDING

• HUDDLER
  • 14,958 posts

Posted 17 July 2011 - 02:37 PM

DWill wants to stay, if we make him a fair offer he isn't going anywhere.

#134 Vampire the buffet slayer

Vampire the buffet slayer

Fat Alice's Dietitian

• HUDDLER
  • 2,175 posts
  • Locationunder an aluminum hat

Posted 17 July 2011 - 02:38 PM

Who's your source?

#135 jtm

jtm

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,603 posts

Posted 17 July 2011 - 02:46 PM

I agree. I don't think there will be as much of a bidding war as the sportscasters are speculating. Plus, the teams that are rumored to be interested, don't have any more money than we do under the cap and have other big needs to fill as well. DWill has said over and over he wants to stay and why wouldn't he? He doesn't get pounded to death b/c of Stewy and we are one of the most run friendly teams in the league.

We will pay him elite back money and I don't see any team throwing a ridiculous offer at DWill. Denver is in rebuilding mode just as we are and it makes no sense to throw the kitchen sink at a guy that is going to be 30 or over by the time they are competitive again. I think they make a move, but I don't see them paying any more than we will.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Contact Us: info@carolinahuddle.com - IP Content Design by Joshua Tree / TitansReport.