Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Zod

The Cam Newton and Race Thread!

262 posts in this topic

It's perfectly possible to have the discussion, maybe not here though. The audience here seems to be skewed towards the young and/or "challenged".

Don't care what his color is, and I think he has as much chance of being a future star qb as Gabbert does (about 1 in 4). But I am a little wary of all the attention that will be focused on us if we do pick him, and the bust label that will be associated with the pick if he doesn't immediately perform.

I'm just sick of the Nostradomus' on here.

Too many definitive statements about draft prospects. We all know better.

That and "gut feelings", give me a break.

1 person likes this

I'm white and want Newton to be our pick. I do think race has played a role in a lot of the comparisons Cam's been getting (namely Jamarcus Russell) because, TBH, I don't see any other significant similarities.

I do see the Vince Young comparison as a little more valid, but even then, Newton is pretty far ahead of where Young was as a pure passer and I don't think has nearly the work ethic and mental issues that Young has.

b6f6c6e2-176e-46af-8ced-f0761cd2b00e.jpg

"It don't matter if you are black or white." Color has no bearing on this for me. Other may want to elude to race being the root cause. Yet I hope we do not draft him due to past play, combine, pro day, character issues off the field, and he seems more geared to produce revenue in endorsements than winning. I actually would love McNabb to be here. I see him a lot like the young Vick, strong arm, great running but not a pure pocket passer. Needs time to develop, just as Vick has done.

i can't say i blame someone of some race to want a QB from that same race, esp since the QB is such a high profile person. i've been spoiled by having so many QBs from my race to play in the NFL, but beyond that, i see players at other positions increasingly not from the same race and i would like to see some more balance there (although not at the risk of talent). it's important to be able to identify with player from your favorite team.

as far as newton goes, i can identify with him to a certain extent not because of race, but because of a plethora of mistakes made when you first go to college and efforts made to go and grow beyond them instead of having them be representative of your whole life or dictate who you are going to be.

I'm white and want Newton to be our pick. I do think race has played a role in a lot of the comparisons Cam's been getting (namely Jamarcus Russell) because, TBH, I don't see any other significant similarities.

I do see the Vince Young comparison as a little more valid, but even then, Newton is pretty far ahead of where Young was as a pure passer and I don't think has nearly the work ethic and mental issues that Young has.

I don't want Newton, but I agree with you on the dissimilarities between he and Jamarcus Russell. I don't see it. Russell had a monster game again Brady Quinn and Notre Dame in a BCS game and that elevated him to the top pick.

But they are nothing alike except for skin color.

Were there many Panthers fans that didn't like Rodney Peete bc he was black?

Not really.

I was a mod on the official Panthers board, and the only time we had trouble with racist stuff was when we had an influx of Eagle fans making asses of themselves.

In all the discussion of quarterbacks on here, I've only ever seen one person say he didn't like black quarterbacks, and he was roundly chastised for it.

I've seen a thousand times more stupidity from people making unfounded racist accusations than I have actual racism.

People don't care what color the quarterback is as long as he wins games.

Not really.

I was a mod on the official Panthers board, and the only time we had trouble with racist stuff was when we had an influx of Eagle fans making asses of themselves.

In all the discussion of quarterbacks on here, I've only ever seen one person say he didn't like black quarterbacks, and he was roundly chastised for it.

I've seen a thousand times more stupidity from people making unfounded racist accusations than I have actual racism.

People don't care what color the quarterback is as long as he wins games.

ESPN boards?

This.

It is sad that we still have this discussion in this day and time. I do not understand how anyone could still be prejudiced, but I know they are. I am still surprised everytime. So, obviously, I don't care what color anyone is.

As far as Cam not being able to start from day 1...that is a function of his experience, not his ability. Rivera prefers that rookie QB's sit for a while. He would probably be the perfect head coach for Newton as long as he had a team of coaches that can develop a QB. Rivera will get a vet to play for at least 1 year, maybe 2.

Not sure if Cam is the guy, but I would not be upset if the Panthers pick him at #1. You can't be afraid to lose if you are going to play to win.