Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

dimbee

Grits in the South

my breakfast bowl is still my favorite way. sausage patty chopped up, fried egg just to bust for the runny yolk, a little shredded cheese and some black pepper.

as a component of breakfast, i would never sweeten grits. as others have mentioned - S&P, butter, and maybe some cheese.

as a component of a dinner, i've used grits in lieu of risotto and other starches. in these cases, grits are usually paired with a savory/salty protein and i'll use natural sugars from vegetables to lightly sweeten the grits. corn, onions, peas, carrots are all relatively high-sugar vegetables and can be integrated into grits nicely. jalapeno and cheddar or cauliflower and parmesan are also good combinations, but lower in sugar. you need good stone ground grits for anything like that though. none of that quaker or instant crap. i'm fine with the cheap stuff for breakfast but not for dinner.

As a yankee I have many things to thank you guys for.

Besides Krispy Kreme, I would put shrimp and grits at the top of the list.

Last summer I think I had it like 5 times in a week while in SC.

I don't know anything about grits etiquette. I just know they taste really good.

When I was young I ate grits, cream of wheat and oatmeal the same way with butter, sugar and a little cream on top. Now when I eat my grits it's strictly butter, salt and pepper along with my breakfast. When I eat breakfast out I always choose the grits over hash browns. My wife chooses hash browns, she's from Maryland.

So has no one had this "mush" that I speak of?

It's a very southern thing.

My grandmother used to make mush all the time. I like it but I like grits better.

not restaurant grits tho. restaurant grits are usually terrible.

When I was young I ate grits, cream of wheat and oatmeal the same way with butter, sugar and a little cream on top. Now when I eat my grits it's strictly butter, salt and pepper along with my breakfast. When I eat breakfast out I always choose the grits over hash browns. My wife chooses hash browns, she's from Maryland.

I'm a fatass and always do both. Both with cheese ;)

Putting sugar in grits is a slap in the face to all things Southern.

Salt, Pepper, Butter, Texas Pete.

My grandmother used to make mush all the time. I like it but I like grits better.

not restaurant grits tho. restaurant grits are usually terrible.

The best shrimp and grits I've had were actually made with mush.

so mush has like a pudding like consistency, is that correct?

• Member Statistics

• Total Members
    • Most Online

Newest Member
    byrdmansr