what davidson said

#77 thefuzz

thefuzz

coppin a feel

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,978 posts

Posted 15 March 2011 - 03:39 PM

Definitively and unequivocally, the owners.

The union exists for one reason: its continued existence. It doesn't care about the future of the league, it only cares about taking care of 1) itself, and 2) current benefits and income. Current players and union leadership don't give a poo if the league fails in 5 years, they are out to get the maximum return for as long as it lasts.

The owners, by contrast, have, to varying degrees, invested in their business to sustain them for the long term. Like all GOOD business owners, they will sacrifice the short term for long term gains. This is because they risk their own equity to achieve that return.

This dichotomy is why fans should hope that owners prevail. There are too many lessons in our recent history where unions strangled off future cash flow for lavish benefits: the auto industry, airlines, steel, etc. should be classic case studies for what can happen if you lose your long term vision.

Don't think the owners' costs are increasing? Anyone tried to get a mortgage lately, much less a small business LOC?

I heard some player rep for the Titans on Sirius today; he went on to state that the financials the owners provided weren't detailed enough. He said that showing net profits wasn't enough, that they wanted expense reports to see where the money was going. Why? What gives them the right to say how much the owners are allowed to pay, and which expenses do they think are "proper"?

I don't think the players union (i.e. D. Smith, atty.) ever intended to negotiate. Hiring an attorney was their first mistake; I think as this drags out, more of them will realize he believes his litigious nature has cost them dearly, both short and long term.

This is exactly how I look at, and think about the issue.

Unions suck, and are no longer needed in America.

#78 beastson

beastson

Cam

• HUDDLER
  • 8,947 posts

Posted 15 March 2011 - 04:55 PM

I figured more people would say Owners

But I didnt figure more people would pick them over neither... I'm truly amazed

#79 beastson

beastson

Cam

• HUDDLER
  • 8,947 posts

Posted 15 March 2011 - 04:58 PM

Then again... I'm not amazed

#80 blackcatgrowl

blackcatgrowl

Trolls live here

• HUDDLER
  • 6,944 posts

Posted 15 March 2011 - 05:06 PM

I figured more people would say Owners

But I didnt figure more people would pick them over neither... I'm truly amazed

When you look at the owner's offer, you can see they made an attempt to NOT set anyone's pay back immediately, and addressed some of the other concerns like post-career issues. They tried to satisfy a request for financials, for the whole league, and they tried to meet them half-way or better on all the issues.

Dumbass Smith and co. just looked at it, and said "Bitch I want all that money. Not half, not some, but all my cash!", then pimp walked out of the bargaining room, literally straight into the courtroom.

#81 Wither

Wither

Relatively Unknown Poster

• HUDDLER
  • 9,215 posts

Posted 16 March 2011 - 07:11 PM

Owners, easily.

#82 Dpantherman

Dpantherman

certified pee-on

• HUDDLER
  • 26,451 posts

Posted 16 March 2011 - 07:13 PM

Owners, easily.

what about steve smith?

#83 section543

section543

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 273 posts

Posted 17 March 2011 - 08:03 AM

Frank Garcia had it right the other day. The players think they are partners, and the owners think the players are employees. I agree with the owners- the players are very well compensated employees.

I could see setting up a better pension/long-term disability plan, rookie wage scale, and better split for the owners, and call it a day.

#84 Kyle82

Kyle82

• HUDDLER
  • 3,819 posts
  • LocationRock Hill SC

Posted 17 March 2011 - 08:12 AM

Mark me down for the owners....especially after A. Petersons comment the other day. There is plenty of money to go around....playing in the NFL is like owning a drivers license...or hell, even having health insurance for that matter....it's a privledge, not a right.

#85 Happy Panther

Happy Panther

Now even funnier.

• HUDDLER
  • 16,904 posts

Posted 17 March 2011 - 04:37 PM

Smith didn’t directly dispute the numbers Eagles president Joe Banner gave out Wednesday. Instead, he focused on the percentage players would get in a new deal.

According to Smith, the players would only get 44% of all revenue initially in the NFL’s offer. He says that once you got to year six of the next deal, it would be down to 40%.

Agree or not the owners offer wasn't legitimate if this is true. Which leads me to believe that while the players were resigned to go to trial, the owners weren't going to do anything to stop it.

#86 Steel Panther

Steel Panther

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 150 posts

Posted 17 March 2011 - 06:07 PM

Owners...players are employees...if you don't like what the employer is offering take your services elsewhere...UFL or CFL anyone?

Having said that, if the players want to really press the issue, let all the "big dogs" in the league unite to sign offers with these other leagues...boom! The NFL CBA deal would be done within a week!

#87 rodeo

rodeo

Keelah se'lai

• HUDDLER
  • 15,426 posts

Posted 17 March 2011 - 06:08 PM

the owners. i just love tuning in every week to watch Jerry Richardson own things.

just kidding the owners are worthless.

#88 benchedpunter

benchedpunter

• NEWB
  • Pip
  • 7 posts

Posted 17 March 2011 - 08:42 PM

I think Im rapidly taking nobody's side in this mess.

#89 Jackofalltrades

Jackofalltrades

OWN the Line of Scrimmage

• HUDDLER
  • 17,546 posts
  • LocationNC

Posted 18 March 2011 - 01:43 AM

100% Players.

#90 boo7382

boo7382

• HUDDLER
  • 10,482 posts
  • LocationCharlotte

Posted 18 March 2011 - 08:51 AM

Saw on the news this morning that Goodell sent out a letter to every player in the NFL....

Goodell ended the letter by telling players: "I hope you will encourage your union to return to the bargaining table and conclude a new collective bargaining agreement."

"I've told my guys to take the letter and set it on fire. We're not that stupid," said Seattle Seahawks guard Chester Pitts, whose reaction was relayed by NFLPA assistant executive director George Atallah.

Titans linebacker Will Witherspoon called it "very distasteful" for Goodell to send out such a letter.

"If we were in court, I would compare to a lawyer trying to lead a witness," Witherspoon texted the AP on Thursday night. "I duly object to the fact he has highlighted his highpoints but not given them any ground to stand on!"

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Contact Us: info@carolinahuddle.com - IP Content Design by Joshua Tree / TitansReport.