36 replies to this topic

#16 teeray

teeray

THE SWAGNIFICENT

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 15,913 posts

Posted 22 March 2011 - 09:02 AM

Probably due to the fact they find out that second rounders rarely develop into franchise guys. People point out Brees but he was picked at the first guy in the second round or 1 pick out of the first round. By the bottom of the second round you are talking about a guy who typically is a crapshoot particularly in years like last year with a draft weaker than this one outside of Bradford.

The "Haters" wouldn't want Drew Brees bc he completed only 11-20 at the combine

Brees was confused. Some quarterbacks took Zorn's advice and threw three-quarter-speed spirals to wideouts long after the receivers came out of their breaks. Balls like those would get picked off in a game, but they were safe passes in this arena. Brees stuck with his game plan and threw on rhythm. Some wideouts made sharp breaks, others didn't. Of Brees's 20 balls, 11 were solid throws and nine were poor. He one-hopped a simple out-cut and overthrew another. His long throws—the post-corner and the streak—were wobbly, setting off alarms throughout the league.

Read more: http://sportsillustr...m#ixzz1HKxD95fa

#17 Verge

Verge

Huddle Captain

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,621 posts

Posted 22 March 2011 - 09:04 AM

The only qbs that can run the SD offense in this draft are Gabbert, Mallett, and Stanzi.

#18 DaCityKats

DaCityKats

feed KB 2014

• HUDDLER
  • 8,663 posts
  • LocationDa City

Posted 22 March 2011 - 09:05 AM

u really think Newton can run a san diego type offense? Not gonna happen.

yeah he has a good deep ball and strong arm.

#19 OchoNueve

OchoNueve

for those of you that don't habla espanol...

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,222 posts
  • LocationCharlotte

Posted 22 March 2011 - 09:08 AM

Agree with OP. The verdict is still not out on Clausen, but we are not nearly as invested in him as many people think or act. Whether we choose to go the QB route #1 overall is another debate, but the fact that we aren't on the hook for mega-money with Clausen if we choose to cut ties is somewhat comforting.

#20 DeAngelo's #1 Fan(CRA)

DeAngelo's #1 Fan(CRA)

• Moderators
  • 26,275 posts

Posted 22 March 2011 - 09:09 AM

We will look more like the 07-08 Browns than what you saw in SD last year....

and yeah, Cam could easily develop into a QB capable of running that offense.

#21 stirs

stirs

I Reckon So

• HUDDLER
  • 11,506 posts

Posted 22 March 2011 - 09:11 AM

A lot of people have been posting about how much Carolina has "invested" into Clausen and that you can't draft a QB now. So I figured we could look at the recent QBs drafted in the 2nd round (5 drafts prior to Clausen's) and how much they appeared "tied" to and invested in them.

2nd round QBs

Dolphins - waived after 1 season

Packers - waived after 1 season
Dolphins - active roster
Patriots - waived after 1 season

Eagles - 2 yrs into career Eagles brought former Pro Bowler Mike Vick in but still on the active roster
Dolphins - another QB drafted 1 yr later in 2nd, waived after 2 seasons
Lions -another QB drafted 2 yrs later in first round but still on active roster

Vikings - active roster

recent history shows that teams who draft QBs in the 2nd round are NOT afraid to part ways very quickly with the QBs or bring in new bodies via the draft or free agency/trade.

Guess you are just talking recent as Drew Brees was a second rounder also

#22 DeAngelo's #1 Fan(CRA)

DeAngelo's #1 Fan(CRA)

• Moderators
  • 26,275 posts

Posted 22 March 2011 - 09:11 AM

The only qbs that can run the SD offense in this draft are Gabbert, Mallett, and Stanzi.

that ain't Chud's offense.

#23 panthers55

panthers55

Starting all over again

• HUDDLER
  • 17,048 posts
  • LocationAt the lake

Posted 22 March 2011 - 09:15 AM

Absolutely. He needs to continue to work on his footwork and learn the defenses which we would have to do in any offense. But he clearly has the arm for a vertical passing attack and with the safeties playing deep his elusiveness and running ability should be a big plus.

#24 DeAngelo's #1 Fan(CRA)

DeAngelo's #1 Fan(CRA)

• Moderators
  • 26,275 posts

Posted 22 March 2011 - 09:18 AM

I said recent history and specfically said the last half decade prior to Clausen's draft (last 5 yrs).

Brees doesn't contradict the point of the thread regardless. Drafting 2nd round QBs doesn't prevent teams from making QBs moves. He just happens to be a QB that was successful drafted in the 2nd round (one spot from the 1st round). Tom Brady being successful doesn't mean most 6th round QBs have decent percentage of working out and that teams should put a lot of time into them.

#25 chknwing

chknwing

• ALL-PRO
  • 7,578 posts

Posted 22 March 2011 - 09:19 AM

but he lacks da brains, hes a 1 read qb and then takes off and run.

#26 panthers55

panthers55

Starting all over again

• HUDDLER
  • 17,048 posts
  • LocationAt the lake

Posted 22 March 2011 - 10:41 AM

but he lacks da brains, hes a 1 read qb and then takes off and run.

I don't think that is a fair representation of Clausen. He sometimes throws it out of bounds instead of runs with the ball.

#27 4Corners

4Corners

go to sleep hoe

• HUDDLER
  • 14,482 posts
  • Location704

Posted 22 March 2011 - 02:31 PM

Drew Brees didn't do poo in SD until Phillip Rivers was drafted. Charger fans were trying to get Brees outta town for years - until he blew up. I recall the joke around the league was Phillip Rivers should of been named team MVP that year because he being drafted lit a fire under Brees ass.

Edited by MrTouchdown, 22 March 2011 - 02:33 PM.
s

#28 MadHatter

MadHatter

The Only Voice of Reason

• HUDDLER
  • 19,465 posts
  • LocationDark Side of the Moon

Posted 22 March 2011 - 02:42 PM

Drew Brees didn't do poo in SD until Phillip Rivers was drafted. Charger fans were trying to get Brees outta town for years - until he blew up. I recall the joke around the league was Phillip Rivers should of been named team MVP that year because he being drafted lit a fire under Brees ass.

Hmmmm....could be that it took a couple of years for him to develop. Something you and others are not willing to afford Clausen.

#29 4Corners

4Corners

go to sleep hoe

• HUDDLER
  • 14,482 posts
  • Location704

Posted 22 March 2011 - 02:45 PM

Hey genius, read my earlier post. I said it's only fair to Clausen to allow him a little more time to develop. Provide him with a more stable organization/HC. He was on a piss poor team LY.

However, I'm not willing to be in an Alex Smith situation with JC.

#30 Sword

Sword

Ninja Pirate

• HUDDLER
  • 2,174 posts

Posted 22 March 2011 - 02:50 PM

Hmmmm....could be that it took a couple of years for him to develop. Something you and others are not willing to afford Clausen.

when he grows a couple inches or learns how to throw over the top i'll give him another chance..he just seems physically unable to play..I'm willing to let him sit on the bench but not if their are other QBs with more hope of succeeding then he has.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Shop at Amazon Contact Us: info@carolinahuddle.com