#1 Woodcookedbbq

Woodcookedbbq

Vinegar Based

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,393 posts
  • LocationGreenville, NC

Posted 01 April 2011 - 07:23 AM

Has anybody on here ditched a traditional wedding and got married by a judge, justice of the peace, or other type of officiant?

I'm considering having a judge/justice of the peace marry us and save my money for a big honeymoon. Me and my fiance have discussed it, and she is totally on board with it. She is divorced and said her first wedding (which was a big wedding) was the longest, most stressful day of her life and doesn't want to go through it again. I could care less about a damn wedding. I'm good with doing a courthouse wedding and saving our money to go on a big honeymoon and having a big party thereafter.

What are your thoughts on civil marriage?

#2 mmmbeans

mmmbeans

FBI SURVEILLANCE VAN

• HUDDLER
  • 14,000 posts

Posted 01 April 2011 - 07:27 AM

i did it. If she's down with it then do it. took us 20 minutes. not the most romantic thing but parties and honeymoons are more fun.

#3 lightsout

lightsout

Doin' stuff...thaaaangs

• HUDDLER
  • 5,704 posts

Posted 01 April 2011 - 07:30 AM

The woman who calls herself my mother got married to her ex/soon to be again husband that way. I was a witness. Very quick. That is the way a lot of guys I know want to do it, but unfortunately women always want the traditional white wedding. Hey, it saves you money. If she's down, do it.
waits for someone to post a Billy Idol video

#4 TarPanther9180

TarPanther9180

Ready for football

• HUDDLER
  • 4,805 posts

Posted 01 April 2011 - 07:33 AM

My nephew and his wife did that. They did a big party/reception the following weekend for friends/family. Seems like a good idea if both of you are down with it.

Now, the most important part....how do we talk you out of it?

lol, j/k...congrats

#5 Captroop

Captroop

Pronounced, "Cat Poop"

• HUDDLER
  • 4,869 posts
  • LocationNot Telling... CatofWar might find me.

Posted 01 April 2011 - 07:57 AM

I haven't met a woman yet who didn' desperately want to be married in a church. I imagine though, for women who have been married several times, it matters a lot less.

Personally, I'd rather get married in a court and use the $40,000 you save on a dream wedding (which is what? 8 hours total?) And go on a month long vacation in some tropical paradise for the honeymoon.

#6 Zcustom

Zcustom

The Irish Hammer

• HUDDLER
  • 5,701 posts

Posted 01 April 2011 - 08:16 AM

Don't all the gays have to do it this way?

#7 Woodcookedbbq

Woodcookedbbq

Vinegar Based

• HUDDLER
  • 2,393 posts
  • LocationGreenville, NC

Posted 01 April 2011 - 08:19 AM

Don't all the gays have to do it this way?

Yeah where it's legal. You're not likely to find a member of the clergy to officiate a gay wedding.

#8 lightsout

lightsout

Doin' stuff...thaaaangs

• HUDDLER
  • 5,704 posts

Posted 01 April 2011 - 08:26 AM

I haven't met a woman yet who didn' desperately want to be married in a church. I imagine though, for women who have been married several times, it matters a lot less.

Personally, I'd rather get married in a court and use the $40,000 you save on a dream wedding (which is what? 8 hours total?) And go on a month long vacation in some tropical paradise for the honeymoon.

Atheist weddings FTW! Outdoor. Clergyman as a formality (and to please the grandparents). No unnecessary songs or praying. 20 minutes tops, in and out. I actually can't wait for that day (since I have to do it eventually).

#9 Inimicus

Inimicus

Life is better in a kayak

• ALL-PRO
  • 6,136 posts

Posted 01 April 2011 - 08:42 AM

I was a witness for a friend who got married by the magistrate. It was pretty cool. A bunch of cops came out of the woodwork to witness too. It was almost like they put up with so much negative bullshit in that space that when someone wants to get married they are all happy about it.

If your lady is down with it Id say go for it.

#10 Chaos

Chaos

@chaos_cltsports

• ALL-PRO
  • 9,287 posts

Posted 01 April 2011 - 09:08 AM

If you're all about the honeymoon, then go away to an all-inclusive resort and get married there. My wife and I did a Sandals wedding/honeymoon all-in-one in the Bahamas, and I wouldn't go back and change a thing. It was perfect. We had a small reception for family/friends before hand.

#11 Purity-Control

Purity-Control

In A World Of Madness

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,516 posts

Posted 01 April 2011 - 11:29 AM

Yeah I did the courthouse thing, then took the wedding budget & flew close friends and family to Vegas for a 1 week party, then the wife and I spent a month in Kauai.

Loved it!

Edited by Purity-Control, 01 April 2011 - 04:57 PM.

#12 rodeo

rodeo

Keelah se'lai

• HUDDLER
  • 15,933 posts

Posted 01 April 2011 - 03:53 PM

Yeah where it's legal. You're not likely to find a member of the clergy to officiate a gay wedding.

It's quite easy actually. A lot of Episcopal, Unitarian, Methodist, Church of Christ, Quaker, Jewish, etc churches will do it with no problems.

#13 Davidson Deac II

Davidson Deac II

• HUDDLER
  • 17,046 posts

Posted 01 April 2011 - 04:11 PM

Thats how my wife and I got married. But we had to hurry because I met her when I was stationed overseas, and she came over on a fiance visa. Had 90 days to get married and she didn't know anyone here anyway. We did get re married in a church later on. I do think she regrets not being able to get married in a church with all her family around, but it was what it was.

It wasn't a big deal to me one way or the other.

#14 Wither

Wither

Relatively Unknown Poster

• HUDDLER
  • 9,215 posts

Posted 01 April 2011 - 04:34 PM

Just go to the magistrates office.

Anyhow, you could fly out to somewhere (Jamaica or something) and get married out there. It will actually save you quite a bit of money.

#15 PanthaSan

PanthaSan

Sith Bewbie Padawan....

• ALL-PRO
  • 6,842 posts

Posted 01 April 2011 - 04:38 PM

Has anybody on here ditched a traditional wedding and got married by a judge, justice of the peace, or other type of officiant?

I'm considering having a judge/justice of the peace marry us and save my money for a big honeymoon. Me and my fiance have discussed it, and she is totally on board with it. She is divorced and said her first wedding (which was a big wedding) was the longest, most stressful day of her life and doesn't want to go through it again. I could care less about a damn wedding. I'm good with doing a courthouse wedding and saving our money to go on a big honeymoon and having a big party thereafter.

What are your thoughts on civil marriage?

That's what MamaSan and I did. She didn't want a big ceremony and we went to Laughlin, NV. Got married on a cruise boat and partied with our close friends and family there.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Shop at Amazon Contact Us: info@carolinahuddle.com