Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Ashor

I do not want Newton, Do you?

Was OJ Simpson's murder trial a trial of all black men in America   18 members have voted

1. 1. Was OJ Simpson's murder trial a trial of all black men in America

• Yes
    • No

Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

274 posts in this topic

Cam Newton reminds me of JaMarcus Russell.

If you watch Cam he leans forward as if he might run before he drops back in about 75% of every play he passes, it's almost instinct, immediate. Eliminate that factor in the NFL and it is extremely hard for me to see success in that.

I say I'm ok with itaking him if there is not a lockout. If there is forget it.

you do know that lean forward was a designed as part of the offense right? It's similar to a play action fake to get dbs to bite and lose there coverage.

you do know that lean forward was a designed as part of the offense right? It's similar to a play action fake to get dbs to bite and lose there coverage.

Designed or not Newton won't have the luxury of getting the dbs in the NFL to bite on that if he isn't sacked right away. It is not even near being the same as a play action in my opinion. Defenses won't always bite a play action. A college team with always bite a Newton lean in. Extremely different. Plays like that discredit some of Newton's passes in my opinion, because he alone kept defenses honest to the run but now he can't do that anymore and we'll have to rely on his work ethics to help him transform properly. Work ethic to that extent is hard to judge.

I am sorry plays were designed in a way that discredits his passing, or at least transferable potential but it is what it is. Is is so hard for Cam lovers to see his negatives? I am not talking about negatives like bust potential, I am talking about negatives in the way he plays. Yeah he was a great college player but all this potential he has simply means he is going to have to change as a QB, he can not play like he did in college in the NFL, he just can't. Newton will have to learn to scramble in the backfield, and eventually gun it that is where his talent is. That isn't how he played in college.

1 person likes this

i do not want the panthers to draft newton...

...only because i want them to pick marcell dareus.

even when newton wasn't in the picture and luck was the center of attention, i wanted marcell dareus.

who i wanted hasn't changed since last season, and it isn't going to change now.

if they do draft newton, then so be it.

i won't be disappointed because the pick is newton. i'll be disappointed because the pick isn't dareus.

1 person likes this

When I see he's the nexts Russell or he just has raw potential I am not responding to those post anymore cause it's clear y'all didn't watch him last season.

To me Cam reminds me of The Golden Calf of Bristol. So ask yourself if you were to remove Cam from this years draft and insert The Golden Calf of Bristol, would The Golden Calf of Bristol be the number 1 pick in this years draft. If you answer yes, then you validate one thing: Just how weak this QB class is.

Well I will agree that Clausen did not get a fair shake but you must admit that he looked really bad.

I am not sold on Clausen, but if you take a QB early in any draft, you bring him along and give him time. I was actually hoping we would not draft Clausen when he fell to us.

However, the Panthers forced him to play when he had spent much of OTAs and camp as the #2 and #3 QB. Considering the purging of veterans and Fox's contract status, he did not want a project at QB in the draft--he wanted players to play right away. With the OL injured and WRs as green as he was (except Smith), he had to play in a bland, predictable offense. Maybe he does suck, but if you judge him based on last season and want him out, you would have been the same way in Denver in 1984:

John Elway's rookie year: 47% completion rate, 14 interceptions, 7 TDs in 10 games.

Jimmy Clausen's rookie year: 53% completion rate, 9 interceptions, 3 TDs in 10 games.

Elway's offense was more imaginative and open. His coaching staff was supportive and not a bunch of lame ducks. His OL was not great, but healthy for the most part.

People who say they know Clausen is a bust are showing ignorance. It takes time to develop into a good QB and time to determine if they are busts or not. Sure he looked bad here--So did Bradshaw for five years, Elway, etc. You may think he is a bust, but if you let him go and he goes to SF and gets coached up and becomes a pro bowler, people who criticized him will disappear and go into denial.

We are drafting Dareus or Green.

1 person likes this

To me Cam reminds me of The Golden Calf of Bristol. So ask yourself if you were to remove Cam from this years draft and insert The Golden Calf of Bristol, would The Golden Calf of Bristol be the number 1 pick in this years draft. If you answer yes, then you validate one thing: Just how weak this QB class is.

Cam's throwing motion is miles better than The Golden Calf of Bristol's like I've said before if The Golden Calf of Bristol didn't have to question marks in his throwing motion he would have been a top ten pick imo. If cam was to have a The Golden Calf of Bristol like rookie season though I'd consider that promising for the future more so than what our young QB's have shown but I don't like that comparison at all.

fug yea i want newton...too much upside to pass up

Cam Newton

Strengths: Athleticism, Running ability, size, arm strength, IT factor (leadership ability).

Weaknesses: Experience in a pro set that reads defenses, accuracy, character concerns that you do not want in a leader/face of franchise.

Unknowns (to most fans): Football IQ, ability to read defenses.

This is why Cam is a coin toss. If you just look at the strengths (like many on here), you ask, "What is there to decide?" However, if you look at the negatives (like many on here), he scares the hell out of you.

To draft a player, you have to decide if the risk is worth the reward. Since nobody's job is on the line here, only Marty Hurney can make that call. If it were my call, I would go with Dareus and pray Cam does not become a superstar.