Photo
- - - - -

According to Adam Schefter...

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
92 replies to this topic

#91 Fiz

Fiz

SENIOR HUDDLER

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
HUDDLER

Posted 26 April 2011 - 03:26 PM

Sorry Fiz but your entire arguement is wrong. The owners have never claimed they are losing money. You are correct that no one would believe that because is isn't true. The problem is that the businesses are constantly showing less and less profit each year since the last CBA. They are still making money, just not as much as they were. And while every team hasn't opened up their books, the one public team, Green Bay Packers, their records show exactly this. If it's happening in Green Bay it's happening other places too. Maybe not every team is showing receding profits but I would guess more than not at the minimum.

no, not quite.

in the mind of a capitalist losing money is the exact same as losing potential revenue. And you're correct that the packers numbers showed diminishing profits, but their situation is completely uncomparable to the other 31 teams for a whole host of reasons that are glaringly obvious.

if the teams were losing revenue, it'd be very easy to prove. the fact that they won't do it should be a tip off to everyone but, alas.

i mean christ does no one remember when George Shinn was pulling this exact same poo and we ran him out of town?

I actually think both sides have reasonable arguments. But for the Panthers continued success and stability both financially and staying in the area, I feel that supporting the owners is in the best long term interest for the team I support.

If we just want to make this a Panthers centric argument, Richardson is in the top five in the league over the past decade as far as spending. I think the Fox coaching staff in 2010 was the third or fourth highest paid, and that's without a floor. He chose to do that. The panthers have been at the salary cap during the entire fox regime.

I think people seriously underestimate just how rich Jerry is. Of course he's about to be dead so who knows who will buy the team but if the recent past is any indication it'll be someone with some serious cash. maybe we could be the first team owned by an oil sheik

#92 mountainpantherfan

mountainpantherfan

In Honor of Sam Mills

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
HUDDLER

Posted 26 April 2011 - 08:38 PM

if the teams were losing revenue, it'd be very easy to prove. the fact that they won't do it should be a tip off to everyone but, alas.

i mean christ does no one remember when George Shinn was pulling this exact same poo and we ran him out of town?

If we just want to make this a Panthers centric argument, Richardson is in the top five in the league over the past decade as far as spending. I think the Fox coaching staff in 2010 was the third or fourth highest paid, and that's without a floor. He chose to do that. The panthers have been at the salary cap during the entire fox regime.

I think you are confussing terms because you do know what you are talking about, we just have differing views. Teams are not claiming to be losing money or revenue. Increasing profits is a very important part of a business model when dealing with securing lines of credit and aluring potentiel investors.

You mentioned Shinn. No one liked him because of the way he came across to the public. And I can't say that I wasn't extremely happy when he failed again in New Orleans. However, the case that Shinn made as to the financial issues the team was facing were very real and true. And eventually the reason he left. Was it bullshit? Yes and I would think the same thing if JR or whoever ends up with the team moved the team because of wanting higher profit margins. But that doesn't change the fact that owners leave for the exact reason JR is currently fighting over.

That isn't a good sign for the long-term stability of the Panthers in Carolina IMO. Maybe it is BS that teams profits are declining like you said but as a business executive I can tell you that if my employees pay raise was determined by the total revenue of the business, I would be going out of business pretty quickly during this economic downturn. So I guess for me, I get it and believe them without them opening the books.

#93 TCF2

TCF2

• PipPipPipPip
HUDDLER

Posted 27 April 2011 - 09:20 PM

Schefter's going nuts on twitter!

"Judge ordered NFL to start its league year immediately, but said no team is obligated to sign free agents. Trades in question."

"Judge's 20 page order takes her 89 page order from Mon and hits the major points even harder.*Makes NFL's attempt to get overturned harder"

"League will tell the teams to hold pending 8th Circuit Ruling on the stay, NFLPA's position is it can't. Going to be interesting."

Thus judge is hookin is up! According to his tweet they have been ordered to start up immediately! This is good!