Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Clausen isn't 'real' competition for Newton

95 posts in this topic

Posted

IMO... I would make a run at Donovan Mcnabb or a David Garrard. Garrard is really unlikely. But I would love to have him back there. There's guys out there that would be better to bring in here than just leave Jimmy as the only true competition. Byron Leftwich, Kerry Collins, Matt Hasselbeck, Vince Young to name a few.

Don't be surprised if Vince's name surfaces.

They also have to want to play for us. McNabb is not coming here. He would be as good of a mentor as Kurt Warner. ie Not Good. Oh and Why would Jax give up Garrard if Blaine is just as much (if not more) of a project than Cam. Why would they screw themselves?

Posted

Vince's name won't surface.

Yep, Not a chance in hell he's coming to CLT.

Posted

Agree with the OP. Need a vet in here ASAP.

Posted

Clausen has quite a bit on his side, IMO.

Actually Clausen has shown very little at this point and his mechanics are poor. The best thing he has going for him is that Newton hasn't done anything at all.

That isn't to say that Clausen can't prove to the coaches that he can be a starter or that last year wasn't a good reflection of his capacity. Simply, that to say he has a lot going for him based on last year would be a huge exaggeration of what occurred a very optimistic assessment of his performance.

Posted

Most of the vets folks are mentioning aren't likely to come here. Plus there will be competition for anyone worth a flip. That is why I wanted to draft Newton. We needed to bring in whoever we can to improve the Qb situation. At this point you can't count on a veteran to be available or want to come to Carolina.

Posted

Agree with the OP. Need a vet in here with actual playing experience ASAP.

fixed.

Posted

Rivera Said "Newton will play when he shows hes ready to play.." So if he shows flashes during practice then he has done enough to start. Clausen would have to come out the gate looking like tom brady in order to be number 1, no QB on the roster has been named the starter, the job is Newtons if you think that Clausen will be the starting QB you are in denial and might want to watch his game tape from last year, the guy looked small out there, even his touchdown passes were flukes, the INTs were very careless, He never gave us hope at the QB position PERIOD

1 person likes this

Posted

nothing would surprise me here. Clausen got beat out by MM

Posted

He needs a vet QB where he can be in there hip pocket more so than competition imo his desire to want to be great doesn't need to be fueled by someone trying to take his spot

Posted

I would like to see Newton actually play a few downs in the NFL before saying something like that.

Posted

No one actually expects Jimmy to be much of a factor anymore. That's why we the used #1 pick on another QB.

Jimmy is awful. He's been wildly overrated his entire life, he isn't big or strong enough to be an effective NFL QB, and he will not be here at the end of his contract. The only reason he played last year was because the other guys sucked and weren't drafted as high as he was, so they had to see what he could do once Moore shit the bed so many times.

Can he get better between now and then? Probably, but it won't matter unless the other guys on the roster are really awful, and I think Newton, while he has a lot to learn, is inherently better than Jimmy. He is terrible, he gets tackled at the first point of contact, he can't make the necessary deep throws, and his teammates don't respect him.

Posted

I also so don't think we can judge if Newton is ready or not during pre-season games. Jimmy showed a lot during the pre-season and fell flat on his face when it was time for a REAL game.