#1 Dilla

Dilla

Mad Decent

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,847 posts
  • LocationWashington, North Carolina

Posted 16 May 2011 - 05:25 PM

As you guys probably already know, 2007 F1 World Drivers' Champion and current WRC driver Kimi Räikkönen has entered into North Carolina Education Lottery 200 at Charlotte Motor Speedway. He's not in the Kyle Busch's #18 as previously thought, but in Billy Ballew and VAR's #15 truck.

I obviously don't think he'll be a real contender this race but I don't think he'll be terrible. I predict a top 20 run, likely on the lead lap, due to the lack of competitive trucks.

Shame that I can't watch it, Speed isn't on Suddenlink's Expanded Basic Cable package in Washington, NC. I'm gonna miss the All-Star Race, too:(

Edited by Dilla, 16 May 2011 - 05:27 PM.

#2 Implied Volatility

Implied Volatility

Evil Speculator

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 580 posts
  • LocationCharlotte

Posted 16 May 2011 - 07:09 PM

As a Formula 1 fan who's very familiar with Kimi, I don't see him becoming a mainstay in NASCAR (or anywhere). For years I have got the impression that Kimi doesn't know what he wants. I think he's a bit of a journeyman at heart. He gets bored quickly. And he always seemed to lack the motivation needed to become truly great. Which is the reason Ferrari paid him some $40 million to leave the team in 2009.

But I could be wrong. Maybe he will stick around the NASCAR scene. And if he does, I think he'll do well in the long run. But I just don't see Kimi staying motivated in NASCAR or any motorsport outside of rally racing.

#3 Dilla

Dilla

Mad Decent

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,847 posts

Posted 17 May 2011 - 12:15 AM

Oh, I know how Kimi rolls as well and also don't expect him to stay. I was just wondering how well he'll do this week in his first start, not in NASCAR in the long run.

#4 Smitty Is Our Savior

Smitty Is Our Savior

Jesus Shuttlesworth

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,788 posts
  • LocationSydney, Australia

Posted 17 May 2011 - 01:30 AM

I never took a liking for Kimi. I've always been a huge David Coulthard and McLaren fan, and it pissed me off when I was younger that Kimi jumped in and took over McLaren. Red Bull Racing and Mark Webber all the way now, though.

#5 Johnny Rockets

Johnny Rockets

Mayor of Awesomeville

• HUDDLER
  • 6,171 posts

Posted 17 May 2011 - 10:09 AM

Interesting....as a Finn myself I wouldn't mind going to check the Iceman out on the NASCAR circuit. I had no idea he would be racing and live down the road from the track so thanks for the heads up!

#6 cptx

cptx

Junkhead

• HUDDLER
  • 4,014 posts

Posted 20 May 2011 - 09:06 PM

Hell hes doing better than some of the guys that have ran the trucks for years

#7 Johnny Rockets

Johnny Rockets

Mayor of Awesomeville

• HUDDLER
  • 6,171 posts

Posted 20 May 2011 - 10:22 PM

Went to the race and was rather impressed by his driving. From what I hear, his truck was given him fits all night. Top 15 for the 15. Got a lot of trash talk from some guys next to me for being non American because I had a Finland shirt on. Ahhhhh....good ole NASCAR boys.

#8 Dilla

Dilla

Mad Decent

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,847 posts

Posted 20 May 2011 - 11:06 PM

He's supposedly looking for a ride at next week's Nationwide race at Charlotte as well. Maybe Busch, if scheduled to run next week, will hop out his ride.

Edit: It figures that the CWTS race that was aired to a wider audience in Europe because of Kimi's debut had so many cautions for wrecks. Talk about catering to stereotypes.

I don't think NASCAR's FO is very happy with that particular point.

Edited by Dilla, 20 May 2011 - 11:41 PM.

#9 Third Degree

Third Degree

All we do is win

• HUDDLER
  • 4,697 posts
  • Location704

Posted 21 May 2011 - 07:43 AM

I'd like to see him in a JR Motorsports car.

#10 Dilla

Dilla

Mad Decent

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,847 posts

Posted 21 May 2011 - 03:37 PM

It'll be Joe Nemecheck's 87 car with Gibbs' power, apparently. So he'll be locked in if he to attempt the race. KBM and NEMCO will split the crew.

Can't wait, I'll actually be able to watch this one on TV.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Shop at Amazon Contact Us: info@carolinahuddle.com