Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Richardson ...Lockout Article

51 posts in this topic

Posted

To try and put it more succinctly;

It is very difficult to have true negotiations until a counter is offered. Even if you think the owner's offer wasn't reasonable the owners did a good job of publicly listing the concessions they made in their offer.

The reason (in my opinion) that the NFLPA hasn't countered is because they don't want to make any concessions from their current deal and are confident (or hopeful) that the courts will reinstate the current deal.

If they counter they would have to come out like the owners did and list their concessions in their counter to show they are being pragmatic. But if they do that they fear they will lose out on the current deal which is very beneficial to them.

So until they put a counter offer on the table there is essentially nothing to work with in terms of negotiating. But, the NFLPA fears they put limitations on what they can gain from the owners in the process.

Posted

meh.

No negotiations, no deal, no news..

Posted

Don't worry about it, I totally have the metaphor angle covered friend.

Yeah but you assume anyone has ever seen Battlefield Earth or wants to. ;)

2 people like this

Posted

Yeah but you assume anyone has ever seen Battlefield Earth or wants to. ;)

. . . how . . . how dare you.

Posted

Listen, we've all seen this play out before, and we know how it all ends. And of course I'm talking about the movie Battlefield Earth:

Terl (the nfl owners) is put into a bad circumstance by the Psychlo Home Office (the economy) and is forced to make Barry Pepper super intelligent in order for him to mine gold near Colorado (the owners signing the last CBA despite it being unfavorable). With his newfound self awareness and intelligence (favorable CBA), Barry Pepper leads an uprising that will make his gains permanent (the strike over the new CBA).

It has been foretold how this all ends. Jeff Saturday and Jay Feely fly Harrier jets into the NFL Films building while Dominique Foxworth transports a nuke to the NFL Headquarters in New York. Roger Goodell will be put in a cage and say something that vaguely leaves the door open for a sequel that never gets made because no one cares and Southpark will make fun of it.

And John Travolta makes a movie out of it that fails miserably. :)

1 person likes this

Posted

Listen, we've all seen this play out before, and we know how it all ends. And of course I'm talking about the movie Battlefield Earth:

Terl (the nfl owners) is put into a bad circumstance by the Psychlo Home Office (the economy) and is forced to make Barry Pepper super intelligent in order for him to mine gold near Colorado (the owners signing the last CBA despite it being unfavorable). With his newfound self awareness and intelligence (favorable CBA), Barry Pepper leads an uprising that will make his gains permanent (the strike over the new CBA).

It has been foretold how this all ends. Jeff Saturday and Jay Feely fly Harrier jets into the NFL Films building while Dominique Foxworth transports a nuke to the NFL Headquarters in New York. Roger Goodell will be put in a cage and say something that vaguely leaves the door open for a sequel that never gets made because no one cares and Southpark will make fun of it.

thats what battlefield earth was about? i watched it and i still dont know..:skep:

Posted

You GTFO out of here with your scientology non-sense!!!

:D

Posted

I'm just saying we all enjoyed the Mission Impossible movies, and as a thank you for that, we should give Tom Cruise our eternal souls. He's a totally dynamite fella.

Posted

BTW the reason the NFLPA haven't countered yet is because they don't want to set conditions that they would possibly accept for fear that the courts would give them an even better deal. If they don't set parameters then they can try to milk as much as possible in the new CBA.

The last thing they want to do is make a counter and then realize they could have gotten a better deal through the courts. By sitting back and litigating they think they can milk as much as possible out of the future deal.

The NFLPA isn't negotiating because they intend to give nothing back. Any concession in their mind is a step backwards.

The issue I have heard is that the players take 50% but nothing comes out of their percentage but taxes. The owners make 50% but bear all the expenses. I don't know what it costs to run the league, pay all the expenses of the franchises, employees, stadiums, etc. but apparently the 1 billion exclusion doesn't pay it all. So the owner's 50% apparently is before expense and the player's have essentially no expenses. I wish the owners would just open up the books and show them where the beef is.

Posted

The NFLPA isn't negotiating because they intend to give nothing back. Any concession in their mind is a step backwards.

The issue I have heard is that the players take 50% but nothing comes out of their percentage but taxes. The owners make 50% but bear all the expenses. I don't know what it costs to run the league, pay all the expenses of the franchises, employees, stadiums, etc. but apparently the 1 billion exclusion doesn't pay it all. So the owner's 50% apparently is before expense and the player's have essentially no expenses. I wish the owners would just open up the books and show them where the beef is.

This pretty much sums it up. Why would the union want to negotiate? They have a deal right now that favors them and anything given up is a loss to them. The only leverage the NFL has is a work stoppage. This is basically how most union related matters go. The union keeps taking and taking till the business is in the red. Even a business that is a monopoly and has tons of revenue.

Posted

:iagree:

Posted

Players have conceded that they will not get as good a deal as they had before. Players and owners will both make more $$ next year on aggregate under any deal