• Please log in to reply
176 replies to this topic

#76 Davidson Deac II

Davidson Deac II

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 17,030 posts

Posted 16 July 2011 - 04:41 PM

QBs rarely improve year 1 to year 2. I don't see why people keep thinking this is realistic.

Don't agree with this at all. Almost all players, QB's included improve from yr 1 to yr2. Of course, they are asked to do more, so their numbers tend to suffer, but that certainly doesn't mean they don't improve.

Thats not to say Clausen will or will not start.

#77 Davidson Deac II

Davidson Deac II

• HUDDLER
  • 17,030 posts

Posted 16 July 2011 - 04:43 PM

Also, fwiw I wouldn't trust any coach that planned on handing the reins over to a player who hasn't yet played a single NFL down. Lets at least wait and see how he does in preseason.

#78 CAVSS

CAVSS

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 700 posts

Posted 16 July 2011 - 04:57 PM

Im sure the coaching staff, at this point, believes it is doubtful that Pickles will start. They have no reason not to. All they have to go on is last year's tape. Like when he was blatantly outplayed by St. Pierre; a guy that no one else wanted and had only been on the team a few days. The truth is though that no one knows who will be starting until the season starts. There is a whole training camp and pre-season for our guys to compete and show the coaches who is ready.

May the best cam win. j/k

#79 Fiz

Fiz

SENIOR HUDDLER

• HUDDLER
  • 11,056 posts

Posted 16 July 2011 - 05:10 PM

i was actually thinking about this and how you could justify starting clausen and you simply can't, just because in a simple offense, which I think they're going to run regardless, Cam Newton offers you far more than Pickles.

I don't think Clausen was ruined last year for good, but he regressed throughout the year and should probably be regarded as a rookie.

Let's say the Panthers want to run the ball 40 times a game, both to take advantage of their strength and let both develop slowly behind center. Who do you want rolling out on a play action?

Not only does Cam have a stronger arm (and not just because Clausen has no deep ball) but if he gets into the open field he's going to ruin some poo. Not many corners are going to be able to bring him down. Additionally, because of that, defenses are going to have to respect him and give him more throwing options. That linebacker that can stick with a tight end doing whatever now has to stick with Cam. If Jimmy took off I think he might succeed the first time due to everyone laughign so hard but he'd be murdered the second time.

Cam's also about 6 foot thirty so even with someone in his face he's going to have a clear view.

I don't know, I think when building an offense for a young QB, Cam offers worlds more than Pickles.

#80 YoungPanthers89

YoungPanthers89

Lucy Snorebush

• HUDDLER
  • 10,995 posts
  • LocationNC

Posted 16 July 2011 - 05:19 PM

Posted Image

#81 Fiz

Fiz

SENIOR HUDDLER

• HUDDLER
  • 11,056 posts

Posted 16 July 2011 - 06:14 PM

Also keep in mind Cam has spent almost every moment since he was drafted at IMG, training with current and former NFL players.

Not only that, he's had a private tutor to help him with the playbook. Dorsey played under Chudzinski both at UMiami and Cleveland.

It's a safe assumption he has a better grip on the offense at this point than Jimmy.

#82 OneBadassCat

OneBadassCat

• HUDDLER
  • 5,082 posts

Posted 16 July 2011 - 06:56 PM

How do you know that Jimmy isn't doing something similar?

#83 Fiz

Fiz

SENIOR HUDDLER

• HUDDLER
  • 11,056 posts

Posted 16 July 2011 - 07:04 PM

How do you know that Jimmy isn't doing something similar?

Gantt's tweeting.

He's working to be sure, but nothing like what cam is getting.

It's not really fair to be honest. Cam got the invite because they want him to be sorta their pilot program that launches their football division, so they're throwing the kitchen sink at him. Jimmy isn't exactly as sexy a first pupil.

#84 CPF4LIFE

CPF4LIFE

• HUDDLER
  • 5,168 posts

Posted 17 July 2011 - 03:17 PM

i was actually thinking about this and how you could justify starting clausen and you simply can't, just because in a simple offense, which I think they're going to run regardless, Cam Newton offers you far more than Pickles.

I don't think Clausen was ruined last year for good, but he regressed throughout the year and should probably be regarded as a rookie.

Let's say the Panthers want to run the ball 40 times a game, both to take advantage of their strength and let both develop slowly behind center. Who do you want rolling out on a play action?

Not only does Cam have a stronger arm (and not just because Clausen has no deep ball) but if he gets into the open field he's going to ruin some poo. Not many corners are going to be able to bring him down. Additionally, because of that, defenses are going to have to respect him and give him more throwing options. That linebacker that can stick with a tight end doing whatever now has to stick with Cam. If Jimmy took off I think he might succeed the first time due to everyone laughign so hard but he'd be murdered the second time.

Cam's also about 6 foot thirty so even with someone in his face he's going to have a clear view.

I don't know, I think when building an offense for a young QB, Cam offers worlds more than Pickles.

THIS x 100

#85 pantherj

pantherj

• HUDDLER
  • 3,720 posts

Posted 17 July 2011 - 09:04 PM

It's "almost certain" that this information is a wild guess.

#86 KillerKat

KillerKat

Top Banana

• HUDDLER
  • 19,055 posts

Posted 23 July 2011 - 06:21 PM

Douche believes very strongly about Clausen starting and says Moore is gone. Can't wait to see his face after he finds out how wrong he is http://twitter.com/#!/tomsorensen

#87 Woodcookedbbq

Woodcookedbbq

Vinegar Based

• HUDDLER
  • 2,393 posts
  • LocationGreenville, NC

Posted 23 July 2011 - 07:09 PM

I'm pretty sure Rivera is going to let them duke it out in training camp. But I'm almost positive Cam will end up being the starter.

#88 YesWeCam!

YesWeCam!

• NEWB
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 24 July 2011 - 08:25 AM

Its going to be just like last year. Clausen will start, but he will be on a short leash, unless he is playing fantasy, Newton will come in week 3-4.

#89 SorthNarolina

SorthNarolina

• HUDDLER
  • 6,407 posts

Posted 24 July 2011 - 08:30 AM

If Jimmy plays as poorly as he did and refuses to push the ball down the field then he won't start. I honestly think he can play in this league though, but his time has passed. Newton apparently was too good to pass up.

#90 Cyberjag

Cyberjag

• HUDDLER
  • 3,658 posts

Posted 24 July 2011 - 09:01 AM

I think that if there's anything certain at all it will be more about the first preseason game than the first regular season game. Clausen probably gets the start then, but we have four of them to determine who gets the first snap in Arizona.

I'm really happy to hear about Newton's work with Weinke, and think that he's put aside ALL doubts as to his willingness to put the work in to be great. But the adjustment that gives most rookies trouble isn't the playbook, it's the speed of the game. So if you think that Newton will be ready to start in week one based on his work in the off-season, you might want to take that into account and reconsider a little.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Shop at Amazon Contact Us: info@carolinahuddle.com