Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Did You Actually Want Cam Drafted?

215 posts in this topic

Posted

Lol this place will crash and burn if the Panthers have the no. 1 pick next season.

That would be one hell of a decision for the front office. Draft a once in a life time quarterback or trade the pick and make it or break it with Cam....

If Cam plays decent this season, but the team still has a bad enough record. It's an easy decision with the new rookie contracts, trade that damn pick and ransom another team for as many picks as possible. Based off everyday fan reactions to Luck, you'd think the panthers could walk away from that deal with 2-3 first rounders, 2nd rounder, 4th and 6th rounders easily. I just don't think the NFL scouts and teams hold him in that high of a regard.

It's entirely possible even if he plays like he did last year that he gets passed by both Barkley and Jones in next years draft.

I would rather have the boat load of draft picks over Luck, but that's just me.

Posted

I didn't want him as the number 1 pick but yea, I'm glad we have him. He has a lot of potential let’s hope he reaches that potential

Posted

I feel like this is a simple question for most people here. Luck was option 1. Cam became option 1 by default when Luck dropped out. Not much more too it. Besides, I have a feeling that Luck dropping out could have led us to making one of the better picks in Panthers history if Cam pans out.

To show how shallow all of the Andrew Luck hype is, Cam beat Andrew in almost every QB catagory last season. Cam won every prestigious QB honor over Luck but when it came time for our media to find their next All American QB, Andrew Luck became the next best thing. When he decided to stay in school Blaine Gabbert took his place in the media's eyes and Cam was relegated to the role of Jamacus Russell and VY. Go figure

Posted

Not sold on Blaine Gabbert at all. Maybe its just his name lol. Or maybe i see him as just another one season wonder.

Posted

I think it was more guessing a free agent could have been signed at QB, while picking up a stud at CB or DT. I like the potential Cam has for us though. Thinking of the FA's that were available, makes no sense...glad I'm not in charge.

but there was not 1 decent FA out there, and qb is the most important postion on the field. so that made the decision easy....

Posted

To show how shallow all of the Andrew Luck hype is, Cam beat Andrew in almost every QB catagory last season. Cam won every prestigious QB honor over Luck but when it came time for our media to find their next All American QB, Andrew Luck became the next best thing. When he decided to stay in school Blaine Gabbert took his place in the media's eyes and Cam was relegated to the role of Jamacus Russell and VY. Go figure

I don't recall any great media loveliest with Gabbert, honestly. People were kind of underwhelmed with him. There probably could have been one with Ryan Mallett had he not been such a jerk at the combine.

One thing you have to remember though is that college awards and stats are lousy predictors of pro success. Take a look at the last 20 years of Heisman winning QBs side-by-side with a list of NFL busts and you'll see a lot of the names cross matched. Ditto with stat champions (Timmy Chang anyone?)

Luck has a skill set that translates very well to the pro game, so people expect him to be the next Peyton Manning. Will he be? Don't know, but it's a reasonable expectation.

Cam? Tougher transition for sure, but that doesn't necessarily mean he'll fail anymore than an easier transition guarantees success (see: Clausen, Jimmy)

Posted

No.

I felt that taking a QB no. 1 overall with 1 year of starting experience is a very dangerous idea.

If that QB happens to be a "running" QB, even more dangerous.

I will and have supported him, and will continue to do so. As much as I worry about his maturity level, and accuracy, I worry little about his love for the game and his arm strength.

Posted

Luck has a skill set that translates very well to the pro game, so people expect him to be thenext Peyton Manning. Will he be? Don't know, but it's a reasonable expectation.

Expecting Luck to be the next Peyton Manning is a reasonable expectation?

If expecting a guy to be the one of the best ever is reasonable, I'm not sure I know what an unreasonable expectation is.

1 person likes this

Posted

Expecting Luck to be the next Peyton Manning is a reasonable expectation?

If expecting a guy to be the one of the best ever is reasonable, I'm not sure I know what an unreasonable expectation is.

You do know that many expected Manning to be the next Marino right?

Every now and again there is a QB prospect coming out of college that is a prototypical NFL QB prospect.

Sometimes they work, sometimes they don't, but not many times is that verbiage tossed around "by real talent evaluators", and when it is, you better listen.

Luck's name is tossed around like that. As was Marino, Elway, and Manning 1.

Posted

Lol this place will crash and burn if the Panthers have the no. 1 pick next season.

That would be one hell of a decision for the front office. Draft a once in a life time quarterback or trade the pick and make it or break it with Cam....

LOOOL!! Come on man chill, u gonna fry some people brains early having them thinking about that.

Posted

You do know that many expected Manning to be the next Marino right?

Every now and again there is a QB prospect coming out of college that is a prototypical NFL QB prospect.

Sometimes they work, sometimes they don't, but not many times is that verbiage tossed around "by real talent evaluators", and when it is, you better listen.

Luck's name is tossed around like that. As was Marino, Elway, and Manning 1.

Any expectations for Manning to become Marino were unreasonable as well. Manning has obviously surpassed those expectations, but that doesn't make them reasonable. Expecting a college player (Luck or Tennessee era Manning) to become one of the best QBs of all time is not reasonable. Luck will probably be a very good NFL Qb, but how is the expectation of him becoming a first ballot hall of famer any where close to being reasonable?

Expecting extraordinary, everything has to go right, odds stacked against it kind of results is not reasonable.

Posted

No one actually wanted Cam drafted, not even JR or Hurney. They settled, we settled.