• Please log in to reply
14 replies to this topic

#1 Sheldon Wolowizard

Sheldon Wolowizard

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 205 posts

Posted 12 March 2009 - 07:47 PM

Walmart takes in around 43 million dollars per hour in sales.

If Walmart donated all 43 million per hour to pay for the 800 billion dollar stimulus package it would take a little over 2 years to pay for it, without interest.

That thought helped me put it in perspective. I'm not looking foward to getting taxed to pay for it.

#2 rodeo

rodeo

Keelah se'lai

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 15,393 posts

Posted 12 March 2009 - 08:29 PM

well at least we can rest knowing that we are really helping out china's economy with that.

#3 Davidson Deac II

Davidson Deac II

• HUDDLER
  • 16,319 posts

Posted 12 March 2009 - 08:51 PM

Last time I went to Walmart, I took my son to buy the latest Sonic game. I think it came from Japan. Also picked up Milk, roast beef and ham for sandwiches, and a bag of carrots. I don't think any of it came from China.

#4 rodeo

rodeo

Keelah se'lai

• HUDDLER
  • 15,393 posts

Posted 12 March 2009 - 09:17 PM

over 50% of things sold by walmart are made in china. less than 5% in the usa.

walmart alone is 10% of our trade deficit with china.

#5 SCP

SCP

Crop Dusting Son of a Bitch

• HUDDLER
  • 19,174 posts
  • LocationOn a Sales Call

Posted 13 March 2009 - 06:53 AM

over 50% of things sold by walmart are made in china. less than 5% in the usa.

walmart alone is 10% of our trade deficit with china.

Do you guys remember in the early 90's, Wal-Mart had their "Made in the USA" marketing campaign running. The message was "if you buy something in Wal-Mart, it was made in the USA." :lol: Talk about your change of heart.

#6 cookinwithgas

cookinwithgas

Grey Poupon Elitest Trash

• HUDDLER
  • 22,793 posts

Posted 13 March 2009 - 07:34 AM

Food for thought at Walmart is a giant bag of off brand cheez puffs.

#7 PowerlessDan

PowerlessDan

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 863 posts

Posted 13 March 2009 - 07:44 AM

Do you guys remember in the early 90's, Wal-Mart had their "Made in the USA" marketing campaign running. The message was "if you buy something in Wal-Mart, it was made in the USA." :lol: Talk about your change of heart.

Yeah I remember that. Wow. :(

#8 SCP

SCP

• HUDDLER
  • 19,174 posts

Posted 13 March 2009 - 07:46 AM

Food for thought at Walmart is a giant bag of off brand cheez puffs.

:D You've got to wonder about a product whose orange residue is harder to get off your fingers that oil based paint.

#9 catfang

catfang

• HUDDLER
  • 6,191 posts

Posted 13 March 2009 - 07:53 AM

Sam Walton is rolling in his grave. After he died his kids decided to drop the "bringin' it home to the USA" campaign.

#10 LiQuiD

LiQuiD

Plumb Crazy

• HUDDLER
  • 2,255 posts

Posted 13 March 2009 - 07:55 AM

I'm guilty of sending a large portion of my businesses' money to China and to everyone's surprise it's not a personal choice. My customers demand it, not by saying "I want Chinese products" but due to the fact that domestically-made plumbing supplies cost two to three times what a Chinese-made import does. The contractors and homeowners are just not willing to pay the domestic price and therefore, in an effort to keep cash flowing, I am forced to funnel import products into my inventory.

It's cheaper for a company in the US to manufacture a product in China and ship it halfway around the world to distribute within the US than it is for that company to get a local manufacturer to create the product. It's ridiculous.

#11 SCP

SCP

• HUDDLER
  • 19,174 posts

Posted 13 March 2009 - 08:00 AM

I'm guilty of sending a large portion of my businesses' money to China and to everyone's surprise it's not a personal choice. My customers demand it, not by saying "I want Chinese products" but due to the fact that domestically-made plumbing supplies cost two to three times what a Chinese-made import does. The contractors and homeowners are just not willing to pay the domestic price and therefore, in an effort to keep cash flowing, I am forced to funnel import products into my inventory.

It's cheaper for a company in the US to manufacture a product in China and ship it halfway around the world to distribute within the US than it is for that company to get a local manufacturer to create the product. It's ridiculous.

I'll tell you what else, in our industry (material handling equipment), Chinese equipment used to be pure poo 10 years ago. Now, they are making quality product for cheap. They used to make the best Fart Cushions, now they are making damn fine lift trucks.

#12 mantal

mantal

• HUDDLER
  • 3,344 posts

Posted 13 March 2009 - 08:10 AM

That pretty much sums it up...

#13 Darth Biscuit

Darth Biscuit

Dark Lord

• HUDDLER
  • 32,613 posts
  • LocationWilmington, NC

Posted 13 March 2009 - 08:30 AM

Same thing in my industry... the large companies are sub-contracting work to China, India and the Phillipenes and charging less than half of what we do for our services on larger projects, particularly for gov't work. We either have to do it to, or not compete at all. So far I have decided not to compete because it's too much trouble. We just focus on different parts of the market where we can still use domestic labor.

#14 Matt Foley

Matt Foley

• HUDDLER
  • 15,983 posts

Posted 13 March 2009 - 08:31 AM

:D You've got to wonder about a product whose orange residue is harder to get off your fingers that oil based paint.

Or, in cookinwithgas's case, other body parts.

#15 cookinwithgas

cookinwithgas

Grey Poupon Elitest Trash

• HUDDLER
  • 22,793 posts

Posted 13 March 2009 - 08:40 AM

I call that move the "cheez-grater". Mmmmmm hurts so good

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Contact Us: info@carolinahuddle.com - IP Content Design by Joshua Tree / TitansReport.