92 replies to this topic

#1 Panthers128

Panthers128

SENIOR HUDDLER

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,283 posts

Posted 12 September 2011 - 11:59 AM

You'd think the Panthers had just won a Super Bowl by the overall positive tone of this message board. Let's bring it back down to earth.

The defense was terrible. It seemed the philosophy was 'break but don't bend'... They didn't want to allow the possession receiver like Fitz to pick up lots of short catches, but seemed fine giving up 50yd + plays (Kings TD, 70 yd Punt return, 80 yd TD from unknown, Fitz' big 3rd down conversion). And this happened against a team with no real running threat.

The offense was impressive, no one will question that, but there is need for more balance. 74 yds rushing is not reaching the team's potential. If the other team wants Cam to beat them with his arm, sure, increase the pass attempts, but we have to get the running game involved as well. I also didn't like the playcalling at the end of the game. 5 straight passes in the redzone (one free play form an offsides). And not a single pass to a tight end or Smith iirc. I recall two passes to Goodson and two passes to Legedu. Not sure about the other play, maybe someone can refresh my memory.

The Special teams play was just amateur. I think 3 ST players ran past the guy and just sort of stood there as if he'd called a fair catch.

Overall the team lost to what likely may have been the easy competition they'll face all year. The loss could've been much worse as well. The roughing penalty called on Marshall was a ridiculous call. When a player who weighs probably 150 lbs less than the QB launches from inches away, I think you have to have some common sense and realize there is no safety threat at all. Also the Cards had a turnover in the redzone which gave us the edge early in the game.

Of course there's no point second guessing every play, but I don't think the playstyle is sustainable, especially if we aren't lucky. They'll give up 72 points next week if they try to play Rodgers the way they played Kolb. If it's break but don't bend, we'll be broken every play.

And playing less risky on defense may not be any better. The defensive line is like swiss cheese and the best player on our defense may be out for the season.

0-16 is still very much possible. Let's watch some more football before jumping to conclusions.

Edited by sylvianlight, 12 September 2011 - 12:04 PM.
spelling

#2 beach

beach

|~~~~|

• HUDDLER
  • 8,716 posts

Posted 12 September 2011 - 12:01 PM

Nancy

#3 Woodcookedbbq

Woodcookedbbq

Vinegar Based

• HUDDLER
  • 2,341 posts
  • LocationGreenville, NC

Posted 12 September 2011 - 12:02 PM

We're getting better. That's about all I can ask for at this point.

#4 Gipetto

Gipetto

SWAG SONIC

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,300 posts

Posted 12 September 2011 - 12:02 PM

Posted Image

#5 Cat'sGrowl

Cat'sGrowl

The Beast Lurks Once More

• HUDDLER
  • 7,113 posts

Posted 12 September 2011 - 12:03 PM

Derp.

#6 Cat'sGrowl

Cat'sGrowl

• HUDDLER
  • 7,113 posts

Posted 12 September 2011 - 12:03 PM

I'm cooking lunch right now. What are you guys doing?

#7 Mvp2014

Mvp2014

Phenom

• HUDDLER
  • 3,530 posts

Posted 12 September 2011 - 12:04 PM

jeez, calm down man. Our #1 pick put up the best passing performance that Carolina has seen in a decade and on his NFL debut. It feels good to have a QB!

#8 Floppin

Floppin

Smooches

• HUDDLER
  • 12,490 posts
  • LocationShallotte, NC

Posted 12 September 2011 - 12:04 PM

The offense was impressive, no one will question that, but there is need for more balance. 74 yds rushing is not reaching the team's potential. If the other team wants Cam to beat them with his arm, sure, increase the pass attempts, but we have to get the running game involved as well. I also didn't like the playcalling at the end of the game. 5 straight passes in the redzone (one free play form an offsides). And not a single pass to a tight end or Smith iirc. I recall two passes to Goodson and two passes to Legedu. Not sure about the other play, maybe someone can refresh my memory.

You remember incorrectly, Olsen caught one but came down out of bounds.

#9 Dpantherman

Dpantherman

certified pee-on

• HUDDLER
  • 26,443 posts

Posted 12 September 2011 - 12:05 PM

You'd think the Panthers had just won a Super Bowl by the overall positive tone of this message board.

Speaking of over reactions.

#10 Frizzy350

Frizzy350

• HUDDLER
  • 2,078 posts

Posted 12 September 2011 - 12:05 PM

who cares if we go 0/16 or if the defense looks awful, we are a bad team coming off a bad season. if we got a great quarterback out of it, its worth it.

#11 Cat'sGrowl

Cat'sGrowl

• HUDDLER
  • 7,113 posts

Posted 12 September 2011 - 12:06 PM

Do you even have the slightest clue as to how our defense works?

They beat us deep because we were playing it safe herp derp!

No. False. Very, very false

#12 GritsRgreat

GritsRgreat

Banned

• Banned
  • 9,101 posts

Posted 12 September 2011 - 12:07 PM

So when's the high rub off?

#13 jtnc

jtnc

Resident Asshole

• HUDDLER
  • 13,294 posts
  • LocationNorth Carolina

It's called being happy over our team progressing, my god. Go the fug to the Charlotte Observe message board with your negative bullshit.

#14 csx

csx

• HUDDLER
  • 6,809 posts

who cares if we go 0/16 or if the defense looks awful,

Me

#15 caatfan

caatfan

full of it

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 703 posts

Posted 12 September 2011 - 12:08 PM

After last year (and this preseason), "the overall positive tone of this message board" is understandable and later on in the week is a better time to "bring it back down to earth". Right now yesterday's loss is cause for celebration, considering Newton and Smith's performance. :yesnod:

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Contact Us: info@carolinahuddle.com - IP Content Design by Joshua Tree / TitansReport.