Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Is Notre Dame a Racist School?

Do you think Notre Dame is a Racist School?   7 votes

1. 1. Do you think Notre Dame is a Racist School?

• NO
    • YES

Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

14 posts in this topic

Posted

Just thought I would finally ask.

Ty Willingham was 21-15 in his three years. And a loss in the Gator Bowl. And then was fired.

Charlie Weis is 28-21 in his four years. In three years he was 22-15. A loss in the Fiesta Bowl and a loss in the Sugar Bowl. They are keeping Weis around another year.

I'm not sure why they are keeping him. They are not going to be any better next year. And I really think the decision to keep him will hurt recruiting any top players to the school. And will defiantly stop any black players from coming to the school. Or will stop a lot from coming IMO.

So, what do you think?

Posted

Just thought I would finally ask.

Ty Willingham was 21-15 in his three years. And a loss in the Gator Bowl. And then was fired.

Charlie Weis is 28-21 in his four years. In three years he was 22-15. A loss in the Fiesta Bowl and a loss in the Sugar Bowl. They are keeping Weis around another year.

I'm not sure why they are keeping him. They are not going to be any better next year. And I really think the decision to keep him will hurt recruiting any top players to the school. And will defiantly stop any black players from coming to the school. Or will stop a lot from coming IMO.

So, what do you think?

Ty Willingham was a victim of circumstance (ridiculously high standards) not race and Weis's contract is doing exactly what it was set up to do....help him keep his job longer than he should. You would have to be either the richest man in the country or damn near crazy to pay Charlie Weis his buyout.

Posted

No. The only reason Weis hasn't been fired is because the economy is too poor for the boosters to pool $15 million for a buyout and that he still does pull in some of the top recruiting classes in the country.

Posted

When it comes to fuging people over, the Catholic church is truly color blind.

Posted

Ty was fired because he was a shitty recruiter. He preferred to spend his time on the golf course instead of the recruiting trail. His color had nothing to do with his firing. If you think so, then explain his recently being let go from Washington. Are they racists too? I didn't agree with his firing but at the time I was also unaware of the way he recruited.

Weis was given another year for one reason and one reason only....he is a "Notre Dame" guy. It surely isn't because of the success they're having. He's a grad who loves the school and that was what saved him this year. If he has another sub-par year in 2009 he will be gone, mark my words.

Frankly, I expect another poor year and believe Chuck will be history by this time next year.

BTW - It's hard to call a school racist when they have so many organizations for specifically for the benefit of minorities.

Posted

BTW - It's hard to call a school racist when they have so many organizations for specifically for the benefit of minorities.

While I don't think Ty's firing had anything to do with his color, this statement by itself is kinda silly.

Posted

While I don't think Ty's firing had anything to do with his color, this statement by itself is kinda silly.

Why? Notre Dame pretty much does everything it can to be inclusive....I think it's hard to call someone who has specific student boards and org for asians, latinos, blacks, etc, racist. Racism isn't tolerated at that school, period.

I'm sure someone will bring up gays, but being a Catholic school they won't allow homosexual organizations and such (to the chagrin of some students....I've seen a few protests while walking on campus).

Maybe all those schools who have never had a black head football coach should be labeled racist? I mean, what's wrong with them? Won't give a brother a chance? Maybe the BCA is right?

Posted

I'm saying the idea of "they help minorities;therefore, they cannot be racists" is fatally flawed regardless of who it's applied to, that's all.

Posted

I'm not talking about Washington. I'm talking about the treatment between the two at Notre Dame. They basically had the same record, yet Weis is getting another year. And I wasn't calling the school racist I was just bringing up what, I bet are a lot of black families are thinking. And Do we(they) want our kids going there.

Posted

Anyone notice that when Tyrone Willingham was hired as the coach at Notre Dame, his name suddenly became Ty??

Posted

I'm not talking about Washington. I'm talking about the treatment between the two at Notre Dame. They basically had the same record, yet Weis is getting another year. And I wasn't calling the school racist I was just bringing up what, I bet are a lot of black families are thinking. And Do we(they) want our kids going there.

Willingham SUCKED Period...he just didn't have a GINORMOUS contract during a time that money isn't exactly growing on trees a la Weis.

Posted

Ty was fired because he was a sh*tty recruiter. He preferred to spend his time on the golf course instead of the recruiting trail.

I'd say Willingham did a better job recruiting players than Weis if only for the fact that the kids Willingham recruited turned out to be pretty good players their junior and senior years.