Photo
- - - - -

Is Notre Dame a Racist School?

• Please log in to reply
13 replies to this topic

Poll: Do you think Notre Dame is a Racist School? (7 member(s) have cast votes)

Do you think Notre Dame is a Racist School?

1. NO (7 votes [100.00%])

Percentage of vote: 100.00%

2. YES (0 votes [0.00%])

Percentage of vote: 0.00%

Vote Guests cannot vote

#1 Jangler

Jangler

Its gonna be just like they say, them voices tell me so

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 47,223 posts

Posted 05 December 2008 - 08:53 AM

Just thought I would finally ask.

Ty Willingham was 21-15 in his three years. And a loss in the Gator Bowl. And then was fired.

Charlie Weis is 28-21 in his four years. In three years he was 22-15. A loss in the Fiesta Bowl and a loss in the Sugar Bowl. They are keeping Weis around another year.

I'm not sure why they are keeping him. They are not going to be any better next year. And I really think the decision to keep him will hurt recruiting any top players to the school. And will defiantly stop any black players from coming to the school. Or will stop a lot from coming IMO.

So, what do you think?

#2 unicar15

unicar15

• HUDDLER
  • 3,615 posts

Posted 05 December 2008 - 09:06 AM

Just thought I would finally ask.

Ty Willingham was 21-15 in his three years. And a loss in the Gator Bowl. And then was fired.

Charlie Weis is 28-21 in his four years. In three years he was 22-15. A loss in the Fiesta Bowl and a loss in the Sugar Bowl. They are keeping Weis around another year.

I'm not sure why they are keeping him. They are not going to be any better next year. And I really think the decision to keep him will hurt recruiting any top players to the school. And will defiantly stop any black players from coming to the school. Or will stop a lot from coming IMO.

So, what do you think?

Ty Willingham was a victim of circumstance (ridiculously high standards) not race and Weis's contract is doing exactly what it was set up to do....help him keep his job longer than he should. You would have to be either the richest man in the country or damn near crazy to pay Charlie Weis his buyout.

#3 Carolina Husker

Carolina Husker

I hate football

• HUDDLER
  • 10,500 posts

Posted 05 December 2008 - 09:09 AM

No. The only reason Weis hasn't been fired is because the economy is too poor for the boosters to pool $15 million for a buyout and that he still does pull in some of the top recruiting classes in the country.

#4 Delhommey

Delhommey

• Moderators
  • 12,551 posts

Posted 05 December 2008 - 09:12 AM

When it comes to fuging people over, the Catholic church is truly color blind.

#5 shinner

shinner

Anomaly

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,781 posts

Posted 05 December 2008 - 12:56 PM

Ty was fired because he was a shitty recruiter. He preferred to spend his time on the golf course instead of the recruiting trail. His color had nothing to do with his firing. If you think so, then explain his recently being let go from Washington. Are they racists too? I didn't agree with his firing but at the time I was also unaware of the way he recruited.

Weis was given another year for one reason and one reason only....he is a "Notre Dame" guy. It surely isn't because of the success they're having. He's a grad who loves the school and that was what saved him this year. If he has another sub-par year in 2009 he will be gone, mark my words.

Frankly, I expect another poor year and believe Chuck will be history by this time next year.

BTW - It's hard to call a school racist when they have so many organizations for specifically for the benefit of minorities.

#6 Delhommey

Delhommey

• Moderators
  • 12,551 posts

Posted 05 December 2008 - 01:53 PM

BTW - It's hard to call a school racist when they have so many organizations for specifically for the benefit of minorities.

While I don't think Ty's firing had anything to do with his color, this statement by itself is kinda silly.

#7 shinner

shinner

Anomaly

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,781 posts

Posted 05 December 2008 - 02:05 PM

While I don't think Ty's firing had anything to do with his color, this statement by itself is kinda silly.

Why? Notre Dame pretty much does everything it can to be inclusive....I think it's hard to call someone who has specific student boards and org for asians, latinos, blacks, etc, racist. Racism isn't tolerated at that school, period.

I'm sure someone will bring up gays, but being a Catholic school they won't allow homosexual organizations and such (to the chagrin of some students....I've seen a few protests while walking on campus).

Maybe all those schools who have never had a black head football coach should be labeled racist? I mean, what's wrong with them? Won't give a brother a chance? Maybe the BCA is right?

#8 Delhommey

Delhommey

• Moderators
  • 12,551 posts

Posted 05 December 2008 - 02:29 PM

I'm saying the idea of "they help minorities;therefore, they cannot be racists" is fatally flawed regardless of who it's applied to, that's all.

#9 Jangler

Jangler

• HUDDLER
  • 47,223 posts

Posted 05 December 2008 - 02:36 PM

I'm not talking about Washington. I'm talking about the treatment between the two at Notre Dame. They basically had the same record, yet Weis is getting another year. And I wasn't calling the school racist I was just bringing up what, I bet are a lot of black families are thinking. And Do we(they) want our kids going there.

#10 CatScratchFever

CatScratchFever

Keep Pounding

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 120 posts

Posted 05 December 2008 - 04:08 PM

Anyone notice that when Tyrone Willingham was hired as the coach at Notre Dame, his name suddenly became Ty??

#11 unicar15

unicar15

• HUDDLER
  • 3,615 posts

Posted 05 December 2008 - 04:10 PM

I'm not talking about Washington. I'm talking about the treatment between the two at Notre Dame. They basically had the same record, yet Weis is getting another year. And I wasn't calling the school racist I was just bringing up what, I bet are a lot of black families are thinking. And Do we(they) want our kids going there.

Willingham SUCKED Period...he just didn't have a GINORMOUS contract during a time that money isn't exactly growing on trees a la Weis.

#12 Carolina Husker

Carolina Husker

I hate football

• HUDDLER
  • 10,500 posts

Posted 05 December 2008 - 04:13 PM

Ty was fired because he was a sh*tty recruiter. He preferred to spend his time on the golf course instead of the recruiting trail.

I'd say Willingham did a better job recruiting players than Weis if only for the fact that the kids Willingham recruited turned out to be pretty good players their junior and senior years.

#13 Jangler

Jangler

• HUDDLER
  • 47,223 posts

Posted 05 December 2008 - 04:15 PM

Willingham SUCKED Period...he just didn't have a GINORMOUS contract during a time that money isn't exactly growing on trees a la Weis.

Yes but Weis is proving he sucks too. They made a mistake by giving him that extension.

#14 shinner

shinner

Anomaly

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,781 posts

Posted 05 December 2008 - 05:25 PM

I'm saying the idea of "they help minorities;therefore, they cannot be racists" is fatally flawed regardless of who it's applied to, that's all.

ok, it's not exclusive but by the school's actions I think you can agree that they do not harbor racist policies.

I'm not talking about Washington.

It's still a valid point in showing his ability to coach (though I'd guess the quality of athlete he had at ND was better than that at U Dub.)

I'm talking about the treatment between the two at Notre Dame. They basically had the same record, yet Weis is getting another year. And I wasn't calling the school racist I was just bringing up what, I bet are a lot of black families are thinking. And Do we(they) want our kids going there.

I already told you why the noose wasn't tightened around Weis' neck....he's an ND guy and he has that connection to the school. That's what saved him. If he had no previous connection to ND he would have been gone, I have no doubt about that.

Anyone notice that when Tyrone Willingham was hired as the coach at Notre Dame, his name suddenly became Ty??

Geez, I don't know...Tyrone is the anglicization of the gaelic Tir Eoghain (Owen's Land). So I don't know what yer gettin' at.

I'd say Willingham did a better job recruiting players than Weis if only for the fact that the kids Willingham recruited turned out to be pretty good players their junior and senior years.

Under the tutelage of Weis. Under TW, they weren't very good at all. Just look at Quinn's numbers for example. And Jeff Samardzija was an unknown who was close to quitting football to concentrate on baseball.

I don't think the players Weis has recruited are that bad....they're the same kids all the other big schools were going after. EVERYONE wanted Clausen as much as ND did. For whatever reason Weis has done a real poor job coaching them. I don't know why he could coach Willingham's JRs & SRs but not his guys. Next year is the big year though....the majority of the team won't be Freshman or Sophmores so he won't have the "young kids" excuse to use.

Yes but Weis is proving he sucks too. They made a mistake by giving him that extension.

No question...and I don't know why they did really. Sure the team just turned in a season that was a big improvement. I guess the rumors of NFL teams trying to lure Weis back mighta been more than just rumor. I don't know why else they would do it. We had a run of shitty coaches and just came off the embarrassment of George O'Leary so I'm sure they didn't want to go on another coach hunt after just bringing Weis to the school.

Edited by shinner, 05 December 2008 - 05:27 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Shop at Amazon Contact Us: info@carolinahuddle.com