Stumpy

Cam Ward Trolls Hard

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,477 posts
  • LocationHickory

Posted 06 October 2011 - 01:35 PM

Per PFT...

Meriweather was fined the 20 grand for a helmet-to-helmet hit against the Panthers on Sunday.

So since the NFL fines players after reviewing the plays, why don't the refs get fined as well?

I understand that we don't know what kind of discipline the refs get behind the scenes. But, I think that is part of the problem.

With so much emphasis on concussions, there should be some form of formal discipline for officials who miss calls on blatant player safety issues.

Not to mention, if he had been flagged for one of his many illegal hits, that could have turned the tide in what was a very close game.

#2 mmmbeans

mmmbeans

FBI SURVEILLANCE VAN

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 14,000 posts

Posted 06 October 2011 - 01:41 PM

i would prefer less calls on the field and more discipline after-the-fact.

#3 jtnc

jtnc

Resident Asshole

• HUDDLER
  • 13,465 posts

Posted 06 October 2011 - 01:43 PM

Dirty fug.

#4 Dollar Store Dave

Dollar Store Dave

Formerly Know As Ruff

• HUDDLER
  • 7,198 posts

Posted 06 October 2011 - 01:43 PM

To the people who said that the hit on Smitty wasn't illegal:

Told ya' so.

#5 Neylus

Neylus

Limited Edition

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 785 posts

Posted 06 October 2011 - 01:44 PM

Had to be the hits on Smitty. Seriously one of the most lopsided called games I have ever witnessed.

#6 Whyumad?

Whyumad?

• NEWB
  • Pip
  • 17 posts

Posted 06 October 2011 - 01:50 PM

As a Saints fan ( and over all NFL fan ) the officiating this year has been horrible. The NFL has to do something soon. Make these guys full time employees ( OTAs etc ) and hold them accountable. Everyone knows the NFL can afford to do so.

oh and enough with the huddle AFTER a flag...you threw a flag because you saw something. Dont let the others talk you out of it.

#7 Tarheels23

Tarheels23

Keep Pounding

• HUDDLER
  • 2,708 posts

Posted 06 October 2011 - 01:51 PM

After rewatching the game, I notice that's all he does. He comes flying in head first on a lot of plays after they're over.

#8 CatMan72

CatMan72

KEEP POUNDING

• HUDDLER
  • 15,173 posts

Posted 06 October 2011 - 01:53 PM

Merriweather should be suspended, it's clear he hasn't gotten the message about head-hunting... look at the cheap shot he tried to take at Shockey at the end of that one play when Shockey was held up.

#9 Montsta

Montsta

Rest In Peace

• ALL-PRO
  • 6,907 posts

Posted 06 October 2011 - 01:54 PM

Refs do get disciplined. Maybe not fined, because they make little money, but they do get disciplined. I heard on the radio that the "tuck rule" ref (I think it was Walt Coleman?) and his crew have not refereed a Raiders game since that game. And I don't think Hockulee does Chargers or Broncos games anymore either.

#10 monstercat

monstercat

• HUDDLER
  • 5,961 posts

Posted 06 October 2011 - 02:09 PM

After rewatching the game, I notice that's all he does. He comes flying in head first on a lot of plays after they're over.

Yeah, I pointed that out in another thread. He was a split second away from going helmet to helmet on Shockey and Newton. That kid is trying to knock people out, making a tackle is secondary in his mind.

#11 pantherfan49

pantherfan49

Angry inventor

• HUDDLER
  • 5,364 posts

Posted 06 October 2011 - 02:13 PM

Refs do get disciplined. Maybe not fined, because they make little money, but they do get disciplined. I heard on the radio that the "tuck rule" ref (I think it was Walt Coleman?) and his crew have not refereed a Raiders game since that game. And I don't think Hockulee does Chargers or Broncos games anymore either.

That has more to do with the safety of the officials than discipline.

#12 Kettle

Kettle

I'm Stainless.

• HUDDLER
  • 13,382 posts
  • LocationThe Brew Wing

Posted 06 October 2011 - 02:13 PM

I bet Ed would need a lot of security in Denver.

#13 blackcatgrowl

blackcatgrowl

Trolls live here

• HUDDLER
  • 6,944 posts

Posted 06 October 2011 - 02:15 PM

Had to be the hits on Smitty. Seriously one of the most lopsided called games I have ever witnessed.

This.

The crowd was the 13th man in Chicago last weekend. The refs were the 12th.

#14 bauss

bauss

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 809 posts

Posted 06 October 2011 - 02:26 PM

legalities of going feet first for a tackle? I could see him totally gettin' some.

#15 Nicbsbll2

Nicbsbll2

• HUDDLER
  • 2,513 posts

Posted 06 October 2011 - 02:30 PM

As a Saints fan ( and over all NFL fan ) the officiating this year has been horrible. The NFL has to do something soon. Make these guys full time employees ( OTAs etc ) and hold them accountable. Everyone knows the NFL can afford to do so.

oh and enough with the huddle AFTER a flag...you threw a flag because you saw something. Dont let the others talk you out of it.

This is what they need to do. Film study, rules sessions and more film study during the season. Conduct referee clinics, work OTAs, and rule consultations with team officials during the offseason.

As it is now, referees have to continue to work their full time jobs during the season to ensure that they have a steady income once the season ends.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Shop at Amazon Contact Us: info@carolinahuddle.com