35 replies to this topic

#16 mmmbeans

mmmbeans

FBI SURVEILLANCE VAN

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 14,000 posts

Posted 20 October 2011 - 11:21 AM

I agree. it doesnt make sense tho to educate illegal immigrants if they are not paying the taxes that pay for the school and the education itself.

it does if you aren't going to make them leave. i'm talking about their kids. in 1 generation they'll be americans. are we going to penalize them for who their parents were due to our own government/corporation's unwillingness to enforce it's own laws?

it benefits us to educate them.

#17 The Saltman

The Saltman

I am always watching so make sure you keep your clothes on

• Moderators
  • 24,888 posts

Posted 20 October 2011 - 11:23 AM

ya that's a pickle of a situation.

did that just make you hungry?

#18 mmmbeans

mmmbeans

FBI SURVEILLANCE VAN

• HUDDLER
  • 14,000 posts

Posted 20 October 2011 - 11:26 AM

dude, i'm starving... this whole thread is about mexican.

#19 cookinwithgas

cookinwithgas

Grey Poupon Elitest Trash

• ALL-PRO
  • 23,084 posts

Posted 20 October 2011 - 11:42 AM

Tho I do not have a soft spot for people coming into the country illegally and never trying to learn the language or ever becoming legal while not paying any taxes.

You do realize that illegals that get paid in any way other than under the table pay into Social Security as well as other taxes - that they cannot file to get back because they are indeed illegal? And they will not be eligible for Social Security benefits they are paying into?

It's still a situation that needs some correction but it's tough enough without making assumptions that are not necessarily true.

http://www.usatoday....antstaxes_N.htm

#20 The Saltman

The Saltman

I am always watching so make sure you keep your clothes on

• Moderators
  • 24,888 posts

Posted 20 October 2011 - 11:44 AM

Hey in that case I was wrong

#21 googoodan

googoodan

Memberest

• HUDDLER
  • 10,618 posts
  • LocationBayside

Posted 20 October 2011 - 11:45 AM

I really don't like that argument, I think it's fairly ignorant. The majority of these people are trying to escape a horrible situation in order to provide for their families, many of which don't have access to or the ability to obtain additional formal education, let along language classes. Yet people say, "Learn the language before you come here you greasy mexican bastards!!" What's so wrong with learning the language while here if it expedites your ability to better your situation?

You're right, but it is also part of the problem.

Don't a majority of foreigners live in neighborhoods that are predominately their own ethnicity?

When they do get out into America, they're treated as second rate citizens for not knowing the language. You learn faster by immersing yourself. How does one immerse oneself when he/she is rejected?

Like CWG said, wait for the second and third generations...

#22 pstall

pstall

Gazebo Effect

• HUDDLER
  • 20,163 posts
  • LocationMontford

Posted 20 October 2011 - 11:45 AM

my wife just left one pt gig teaching refugee's. some from war torn countries and had no clue what home really was. these are some severe cases.

the irony tho is her school got funding from the govt and fought against similar groups to get the same funding. however, all or most of these schools/groups have PT workers and many of those PT workers are US citizens. Their jobs? To find the refugee's FULL time work.

Something doesn't add up here.

#23 Darth Biscuit

Darth Biscuit

Dark Lord

• HUDDLER
  • 32,948 posts
  • LocationWilmington, NC

Posted 20 October 2011 - 11:51 AM

Education issues like this are a tricky business... is there discrimination out there, absolutely... are there many, many teachers out there that are in it for an easy paycheck and dgaf about the kids, absolutely... are there a lot of hard working teachers and administrators that try to do the best they can with the little they are given for the kids, absolutely.

The key to me is improving the teaching pool and making teaching worth it without the easy way out (tenure, etc.) that exists currently.

For the bad teachers that have time in, they can literally get away with doing nothing... because everything gets dumped on the teachers that care.

That isn't going to happen with the way things are currently done... in NC they have given no cost of living increase in 4 years and this year they did a 1% decrease in pay. They expect the teachers to work their hours, but require them to use their leave time for any personal issues, but don't give them any comp time for the required after school meetings and functions. They don't pay mileage for required off-site meetings and they generally treat teachers like crap, including not providing materials like PAPER and PENCILS, but they make the teachers buy them on their own if they need it.

It's no wonder our education system sucks ass when we spend trillions of dollars on re-building Iraq, but won't spend $0.01 on the schools here.

/rant

#24 pstall

pstall

Gazebo Effect

• HUDDLER
  • 20,163 posts
  • LocationMontford

Posted 20 October 2011 - 11:58 AM

the way the govt spends on schools is the perfect microcosim of how bad and ineffective the govt spends money.

too many school districts fall prey to conventional wisdom and the same ole lame way of solving problems.

more money isnt the answer. just ask the Yankees. smart hires, aquistions, training, building usuage, programs, enrichment programs and so on.

i firmly believe the school system can be fixed. but there are far too many leeches at the local, state and fed level that stay employed due to the built in redundancies.

#25 Darth Biscuit

Darth Biscuit

Dark Lord

• HUDDLER
  • 32,948 posts
  • LocationWilmington, NC

Posted 20 October 2011 - 12:01 PM

the way the govt spends on schools is the perfect microcosim of how bad and ineffective the govt spends money.

too many school districts fall prey to conventional wisdom and the same ole lame way of solving problems.

more money isnt the answer. just ask the Yankees. smart hires, aquistions, training, building usuage, programs, enrichment programs and so on.

i firmly believe the school system can be fixed. but there are far too many leeches at the local, state and fed level that stay employed due to the built in redundancies.

No, I completely agree that throwing money at it is not the answer, but not giving it any money isn't the answer either. You are right however that having the government manage anything is a recipe for disaster.

#26 cookinwithgas

cookinwithgas

• ALL-PRO
  • 23,084 posts

Posted 20 October 2011 - 12:03 PM

Yankees make the playoffs almost every year.

#27 pstall

pstall

Gazebo Effect

• HUDDLER
  • 20,163 posts
  • LocationMontford

Posted 20 October 2011 - 12:03 PM

No, I completely agree that throwing money at it is not the answer, but not giving it any money isn't the answer either. You are right however that having the government manage anything is a recipe for disaster.

yep. there are school districts that for DECADES keeps producing the same results. then when a radical plan comes in to close a school or consolidate or make some changes, there is an outcry and people go you dont care about the kids and it goes back to status quo.

then everybody complains over coffee or cheap beer on why nobody can break free from the cycle.

#28 MadHatter

MadHatter

The Only Voice of Reason

• HUDDLER
  • 18,697 posts
  • LocationDark Side of the Moon

Posted 20 October 2011 - 12:17 PM

Holy poo its not about blame. It's about working to get as many kids as possible as educated as possible for the future of our country. Saying "well your parents are crap so you are going to be crap" is not the way we are going to keep our country competitive.

It is EXACTLY about blame. Those doing crappy in school BLAME the system...blame the teachers...blame everyone but the one person who can actually do something about it....THEMSELVES.

If these kids are in the same schools....have the same resources...have the same classes....have the same teachers....please explain to me why it is NOT thier fault if they chose to not take advantage of them.

There are plenty of students in those very schools who are getting a good education. Why? Because they put forth the effort necessary to actually learn.

As I said, if the schools are sub-par in the lower income areas.....fix them. Invest in them. But at some point, it becomes the responsiblity of individuals to take accountability for their own education....not continue to blame someone for the fact they they don't study and won't put forth the effort.

#29 cookinwithgas

cookinwithgas

• ALL-PRO
  • 23,084 posts

Posted 20 October 2011 - 02:50 PM

Sorry but I don't see anything here about blame except from you. All I see is a call to make things better, education wise, for kids who we will need to run our country in 12 years or less. You just want to rant about individual responsibility and thats fine but your misdirected angst is not going to get these kids ready for anything except serving you your double whopper.

#30 mmmbeans

mmmbeans

FBI SURVEILLANCE VAN

• HUDDLER
  • 14,000 posts

Posted 20 October 2011 - 03:02 PM

kids have to be TAUGHT work ethic and BELIEF IN EDUCATION. The South is a perfect example where one was taught at the detriment of the other.

if their parents are unwilling or incapable of teaching them these values it is NECESSARY that society teach them these things. Schools are the best place to start.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Shop at Amazon Contact Us: info@carolinahuddle.com