Photo
- - - - -

Feds Order School District To Close Gap Between Minorities

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
35 replies to this topic

#31 pstall

pstall

Gazebo Effect

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
HUDDLER

Posted 20 October 2011 - 03:41 PM

kids have to be TAUGHT work ethic and BELIEF IN EDUCATION. The South is a perfect example where one was taught at the detriment of the other.

if their parents are unwilling or incapable of teaching them these values it is NECESSARY that society teach them these things. Schools are the best place to start.

this kinda goes along with a book i have been reading called Bowling Alone. A VERY comprehensive study of the break down of community in the US. its become more and more rare where there are neighborhoods where the kids go to the same school.

i could go on and on but wont. i agree, those that dont really get support at home should have a haven at school and their neighborhood to rise above.

#32 MadHatter

MadHatter

The Only Voice of Reason

HUDDLER

Posted 20 October 2011 - 03:55 PM

Sorry but I don't see anything here about blame except from you. All I see is a call to make things better, education wise, for kids who we will need to run our country in 12 years or less. You just want to rant about individual responsibility and thats fine but your misdirected angst is not going to get these kids ready for anything except serving you your double whopper.

Please explain your logic as to why students that have the same classes, the same schools, the same resources, and the same teachers should now be provided something additional and special.....merely because they chose not to put forth the effort nor the time to take advantage of said resources.

If they don't care now....I will assure you that spending more money won't make them care more.

Schools are in place to provide students with the resources and opportunities to learn....you can't make a child learn who does not want to put forth the necessary effort to learn.....and merely throwing more money at that situation will not change things (no matter how much you and every other entitlement brat wants to blame the system).

The responsibility in this case lies squarely with the student and their family.

#33 mmmbeans

mmmbeans

FBI SURVEILLANCE VAN

HUDDLER

Posted 20 October 2011 - 04:00 PM

you can absolutely make a child learn.

most children are educated despite themselves.

#34 MadHatter

MadHatter

The Only Voice of Reason

HUDDLER

Posted 21 October 2011 - 09:59 AM

you can absolutely make a child learn.

most children are educated despite themselves.

Parents can.....teachers cannot.

If your parents don't give a poo whether you learn or not, the kid is probably screwed....no matter what resources the school provides.

It ALL starts at home.

#35 mmmbeans

mmmbeans

FBI SURVEILLANCE VAN

HUDDLER

Posted 21 October 2011 - 10:05 AM

Parents can.....teachers cannot.

If your parents don't give a poo whether you learn or not, the kid is probably screwed....no matter what resources the school provides.

It ALL starts at home.

i understand it all starts at home. but kids can be taught to want to want to learn by others. there are millions of kids who overcome their upbringing because they were inspired by someone besides their parents. the great teachers i had in my life i can count on one hand but they influenced me HUGELY, maybe as much as my parents. I was lucky to have them... I wouldn't be the same person or where I am in my life without their influence.

telling 10 year-olds about personal responsibility has about as much effect as pissing in the ocean... you have to engage them.

#36 MadHatter

MadHatter

The Only Voice of Reason

HUDDLER

Posted 21 October 2011 - 10:18 AM

i understand it all starts at home. but kids can be taught to want to want to learn by others. there are millions of kids who overcome their upbringing because they were inspired by someone besides their parents. the great teachers i had in my life i can count on one hand but they influenced me HUGELY, maybe as much as my parents. I was lucky to have them... I wouldn't be the same person or where I am in my life without their influence.

telling 10 year-olds about personal responsibility has about as much effect as pissing in the ocean... you have to engage them.

I understand you point and do agree with it to a level.

There are definitely those that buck the odds and escape a bad situation through education. However, without the parents driving them, MOST kids will not take advantage of the education that is aforded them.

I don't disagree that great teachers are a HUGE advantage. But I would bet that your parent's instilled the importance of an education in you. Without them, those teachers likely would not have been able to reach you.

I also don't disagree that programs and resources need to be aforded our students....they are our future. But, WAY TOO MANY people want to blame everyone but the student/parent for their child's failure to receive a quality education.....and most of the responsibility definitely falls on them.