Postal Service reports massive $5 billion loss

• Please log in to reply
109 replies to this topic

#106 Delhommey

Delhommey

• Moderators
  • 12,512 posts

Posted 30 November 2012 - 03:14 PM

I don't disagree at all. Saturday delivery should be nixed.

The idea is it's not fair to base your entire set of beliefs (not you, mind you) on the idea that the Constitution is some kind of holy, sacred document when it's about something you approve of and then turn around and say "oh, well that's an outdated document" on others.

One thing people aren't paying attention to is how important the Post Office just from a pure data perspective. So much online and off is based off of a well maintained set of addresses.

#107 Darth Biscuit

Darth Biscuit

Dark Lord

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 32,734 posts
  • LocationWilmington, NC

Posted 30 November 2012 - 03:21 PM

I don't disagree at all. Saturday delivery should be nixed.

The idea is it's not fair to base your entire set of beliefs (not you, mind you) on the idea that the Constitution is some kind of holy, sacred document when it's about something you approve of and then turn around and say "oh, well that's an outdated document" on others.

One thing people aren't paying attention to is how important the Post Office just from a pure data perspective. So much online and off is based off of a well maintained set of addresses.

I'm just not sure who in here said anything like that... you're right that's not fair. You can't have it both ways, but in the case of the postal service I don't think the founders felt it necessary to include the phrase "just don't let it waste billions of dollars" after the establishment part... that should kinda be implied.

We need the postal service for communications... not everyone has email, and until and unless the gov't provides everyone with some sort of digital communications, we have to have that hardcopy service.

#108 CCS

CCS

Glutton for heart break and punishment

• HUDDLER
  • 3,331 posts

Posted 30 November 2012 - 03:35 PM

If you order very man things online then you know why the USPS is bleeding money. I once ordered something that should have only made a 100 mile journey but it ended up going about 1000 miles.

#109 Delhommey

Delhommey

• Moderators
  • 12,512 posts

Posted 30 November 2012 - 03:49 PM

If you order very man things online then you know why the USPS is bleeding money. I once ordered something that should have only made a 100 mile journey but it ended up going about 1000 miles.

Ehhhhhh, that's not necessarily the problem. UPS and FedEx do similar things. It's the symptom of using a hub and spoke system.

#110 pstall

pstall

Gazebo Effect

• HUDDLER
  • 19,668 posts
  • LocationMontford

Posted 30 November 2012 - 06:04 PM

It seems there is a double opportunity here. Many people are out of work. USPS is losing money.

Privitize a small portion, maybe sorting and carriers to reduce the # that are out of work and cut some costs for the USPS at the same time.

Hanlon's Razor comes to mind.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Contact Us: info@carolinahuddle.com - IP Content Design by Joshua Tree / TitansReport.