43 replies to this topic

#16 TrueDat

TrueDat

Banned

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 145 posts

Posted 22 November 2011 - 10:59 PM

He's never stopped. We just faced a good pass defense, so we dumped off short passes and ran a lot. Lions have trouble with the run.

#17 mav1234

mav1234

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 15,958 posts

Posted 22 November 2011 - 11:01 PM

I think that removing a player's most explosive play, especially when you are talking about the kind of back D-Will is, really is a bad thing to do. However, for comparison's sake, if we remove both player's biggest run:

Dwill - 92 carries, 402 yards, 4.36 YPC, 69 yard run removed
Stew - 82 carries, 343 yards, 4.18 YPC, 29 yard run removed

Notice they are now much closer, but Stew isn't dominating D-Will by any stretch.

Plus jstew is great at picking up blitzes, Dwill can't.

This is totally incorrect. The last couple weeks Stew has missed critical blocks... DWill has had some good pickups (and Stew has had some good pickups other times, too). IMO the two are MUCH closer than some huddle posers here acknowledge.

edit: wow, for some reason I thought DWill had more carries than he did. Fixed the math - DWill is now still ahead of Stew with his run removed, lolll

Edited by mav1234, 22 November 2011 - 11:06 PM.

#18 panthers55

panthers55

Starting all over again

• HUDDLER
  • 16,113 posts
  • LocationAt the lake

Posted 22 November 2011 - 11:01 PM

Can't say that at all. Williams has been an excellent blocker the past several games. He has been a beast picking up blitzing corners and linebackers. He looks better than Stewart right now.

#19 DawgzLife

DawgzLife

Charter Fan '93

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 996 posts

Posted 22 November 2011 - 11:02 PM

Okay. I'm out of this conversation, b/c this makes no sense.

D-Will has been the more consistent blocker of the 2 up until the end of last year when Stew became about equal to & now 'maybe' is a 'little' better the D-Will at blocking (at times). Stew horribly missed a block again last game & about got Cam killed. It may not have looked like he missed a block b/c he wasn't even close to his man. Where are you getting this from? :confused:

D-Will is also having abeen year running. Stew is having a better year receiving.

Edited by DawgzLife, 22 November 2011 - 11:05 PM.

#20 Kevin Greene

Kevin Greene

______CYA_____

• HUDDLER
  • 16,001 posts

Posted 22 November 2011 - 11:03 PM

Most of that came from his option play vs NO.

This logic continues to amuse the sh!t out of me. You want to hold a brilliant 69 yard touchdown run against DWill?

Common sense time. Dwill has 93 rushes for 471 yards. Fine, take away 1 rush and 69 yards on the TD run. 402 yards divided by 92 attempts is 4.4 yards per rush. Even if you penalize DWill for his greatness, his yards per rush average is still 1/10 of a yard behind JStew.

Let's stop this ridiculous f**king arguement.

http://www.pro-footb...ms/car/2011.htm

#21 Doc Holiday

Doc Holiday

NON FACETE NOBIS CALCITRARE VESTRVM PERINAEVM

• HUDDLER
  • 3,762 posts

Posted 22 November 2011 - 11:03 PM

He was running hard, and hitting the hole with great acceleration. Hope he continues this so we don't have to bitch about his mega contract

I made a topic in the bye week that detailed that the running backs have not been the issue in regards to production, they've both been around career averages all season. they haven't dropped off, their opportunities have.

Edited by Doc Holiday, 22 November 2011 - 11:13 PM.

#22 DawgzLife

DawgzLife

Charter Fan '93

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 996 posts

Posted 22 November 2011 - 11:04 PM

I think that removing a player's most explosive play, especially when you are talking about the kind of back D-Will is, really is a bad thing to do.

Exactly!

This is totally incorrect. The last couple weeks Stew has missed critical blocks... DWill has had some good pickups (and Stew has had some good pickups other times, too). IMO the two are MUCH closer than some huddle posers here acknowledge.

Yep again, I was posting this at the smae time you were. Stew has been more of a liability than D-Will in blocking lately.

#23 jtnc

jtnc

Resident Asshole

• HUDDLER
  • 13,092 posts
  • LocationNorth Carolina

Posted 22 November 2011 - 11:04 PM

[quote name='DawgzLife:3457168']QUOTE=jtgreensboro;3457159]Plus jstew is great at picking up blitzes, Dwill can't.[/QUOTE]

Okay. I'm out of this conversation, b/c this makes no sense.

D-Will has been the more consistent blocker of the 2 up until the end of last year when Stew became about equal to & now 'maybe' is a 'little' better the D-Will at blocking (at times). Stew horribly missed a block again last game & about got Cam killed. It may not have looked like he missed a block b/c he wasn't even close to his man. Where are you getting this from? :confused:

D-Will is also having abeen year running. Stew is having a better year receiving.[/QUOTE]

I've seen Dwill miss multiple blitz pickups, why do you think Chud puts jstew in for passing situations? Also Stewart has less carries than dwill.

#24 Brandon

Brandon

Everything and Nothing

• HUDDLER
  • 2,296 posts

Posted 22 November 2011 - 11:06 PM

Both running backs have been forced to adjust to a different blocking scheme than what Davidson used. I think we've started to see over the past few weeks both backs getting more comfortable with the system and that is a huge benefit to a running back like DeAngelo.

#25 mav1234

mav1234

• HUDDLER
  • 15,958 posts

Posted 22 November 2011 - 11:11 PM

not just a different blocking scheme but an entirely new offense... and it's one where their carries are limited and don't come with any consistency, so they HAVE to make the most of what they get.

We've always seen that D-Will and Stew tend to have good games against different kinds of defenses. That's because they are both excellent backs but they have different strengths and weaknesses. DWill is crazy when he gets to the edge, but he is weak inside without a lead blocker; Stew hits holes hard and is much better at breaking initial tackles than DWill but doesn't have the same kind of elusiveness imo.

#26 DawgzLife

DawgzLife

Charter Fan '93

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 996 posts

Posted 22 November 2011 - 11:11 PM

I've seen Dwill miss multiple blitz pickups, why do you think Chud puts jstew in for passing situations? Also Stewart has less carries than dwill.

Because Stew is the better receiving RB in Chud's offense. Why? I don't know, but for receiving:

Stew has 33 rec for 329 yards
D-Will has 11 rec for 93 yards

It is not due to blitz pickup, it is his receiving ability.

#27 Brandon

Brandon

Everything and Nothing

• HUDDLER
  • 2,296 posts

Posted 22 November 2011 - 11:12 PM

I also forgot to add that every year DeAngelo starts out a bit slow and picks up steam towards the end, so that's also something to take into consideration.

#28 DawgzLife

DawgzLife

Charter Fan '93

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 996 posts

Posted 22 November 2011 - 11:14 PM

not just a different blocking scheme but an entirely new offense... and it's one where their carries are limited and don't come with any consistency, so they HAVE to make the most of what they get.

We've always seen that D-Will and Stew tend to have good games against different kinds of defenses. That's because they are both excellent backs but they have different strengths and weaknesses. DWill is crazy when he gets to the edge, but he is weak inside without a lead blocker; Stew hits holes hard and is much better at breaking initial tackles than DWill but doesn't have the same kind of elusiveness imo.

Exactly right.

Before anyone references the Profootball Focus 'elusiveness' stats (which Stew is ranked higher), that includes broken tackles. Anyone can see that D-Will is the more elusive back, as the normal definition of elusive goes. Stew is definitely more the power back of the 2.

We are lucky to have both!

#29 ed bell

ed bell

Ruthless Riverboat Ron

• HUDDLER
  • 2,404 posts

Posted 22 November 2011 - 11:26 PM

So, does D'Will struggle with the pass? I can't remember cussin' his contributions at any point in recent history....Aside from the "he's injury prone" claims after he was obviously shelved late in the season, I really can't say he has been held back by injury.

#30 CLG

CLG

I'ma Mac, Ur a PC

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 701 posts

Posted 22 November 2011 - 11:42 PM

Its amazing that we dont have many people that love both enuff to not consistently have these convos lol.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Contact Us: info@carolinahuddle.com - IP Content Design by Joshua Tree / TitansReport.