• Please log in to reply
51 replies to this topic

#16 thefuzz

thefuzz

coppin a feel

• ALL-PRO
  • 8,555 posts

Posted 14 December 2011 - 02:54 PM

Recruiters will do anything to get their quotas and care about what they have to fill FAR more than what you want. If they don't get those firefighter slots filled (for example) they get a bad review and will eventually get shipped back to the fleet (talking Navy here but its the same everywhere). Know EXACTLY what you want AND GET IT IN WRITING. Take a parent or relative that's a vet with you if at all possible.

I was actually going to mention to you that if you can't fly, go into firefighting. Not only will you be 40 when you retire, you will be able to be a Fire Chief in a medium sized city afterward, and go for two pensions.

#17 carpanfan96

carpanfan96

play hard, hit harder

• ALL-PRO
  • 11,621 posts
  • LocationConcord, NC

Posted 14 December 2011 - 02:58 PM

Recruiters will do anything to get their quotas and care about what they have to fill FAR more than what you want. If they don't get those firefighter slots filled (for example) they get a bad review and will eventually get shipped back to the fleet (talking Navy here but its the same everywhere). Know EXACTLY what you want AND GET IT IN WRITING. Take a parent or relative that's a vet with you if at all possible.

^this for sure
I hate to say it, because I'm friends with a couple of Recruiters. They can be slimy dirt bags when it comes to meeting that quota. I went through that myself when I was set to join. Absolutely know what you want to do and get it in writing from the recruiter. Otherwise you can and likely will be told one thing and get another one once your in.

#18 Mrs Pantherfan

Mrs Pantherfan

Lusting on Zod

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,793 posts

Posted 14 December 2011 - 03:08 PM

well, it's a little too late to do anything now

It was the Navy btw..and I probably...no, I would've been a complete and total ***** with that many men around..probably a good thing I didn't go :)

#19 Davidson Deac II

Davidson Deac II

• HUDDLER
  • 17,302 posts

Posted 14 December 2011 - 03:27 PM

Yep, that's exactly why I'm thinking about not doing Security Forces...everyone says it's the most boring thing ever. Gonna see if my recruiter can get a list of jobs I qualify for tomorrow and get this straightened out.

I was Navy, but I can say that Intel is a pretty cool job. You do have to be able to pass a SSBI though (Special Security Background Investigation). As long as you don't have a criminal record, that probably will not be a problem.

It can be difficult field to translate to civilian jobs, unless you want to get a degree and go to work for the NSA/CIA/DIA. But I was able to get a job in information security for a bank fwiw.

Edited by Davidson Deac II, 14 December 2011 - 03:31 PM.

#20 TruCatzFan

TruCatzFan

Phil 4:13

• HUDDLER
  • 6,470 posts
  • LocationAlaska

Posted 14 December 2011 - 04:35 PM

:icon_bs:

I scored a 98 on the asvab...they told me I could do annnnnnnything I wanted.....liars..oh here you go..you can be a firefighter and THAT'S it...sorry..deal with it

They put me in DEP for a year..within that year I decided that I didn't wanna do it anymore..so I went to my recruiter and told them that I had lied to get in and that I had in fact done acid and cocaine

I was free to go

No way you scored a 98 and they offered you firefighter.

As for the young man that's trying to join the Air Force... Are you in good shape? When i say that i mean like really good shape. Are you strong and determined? Do you want to be a bad ass or juest get by?

Also... What was your GT score?

No offense, but i cant imagine that you would qualify for any of the jobs that you're actually interested in. Have you thought about retaking the test. If your GT is 110 or better then you're good. I just don't see how thats plausible with a 67 overall score.

Let me know the answers to my questions. I've been in the Army for 9 years so I know what I'm talking about. As far as the Air Force goes the last i heard was that you really weren't even guarenteed the job you pick...meaning that just because you're elidgeable doesnt mean that you'll get it. <-----That right there is why i chose the Army over the AF. I scored very high on the ASVAB and got a considerable bonus for my first MOS/enlistment before i went a different route. I dont really know many AF peopel that I trust but I could put you in contact with a couple of people that have served in the AF if you'd like to talk to them.

WHat you're doing is very noble btw... There arent a lot of people this day and age that willingly enlist into The Armed Forces. Once you're in, you're in the brotherhood for life... Ultimately, you wont regret the decision that you're getting ready to embark on.

Let me know if there is anything that I can do to help you with your decision or if you want a few phone #'s I can put youin contact with a few different people.

If you're in good shape and you're a hard charger/go getter (athletic competitive guy) then my brother in law would be the BEST person for you to talk to. Just let me know bro.

#21 Scrumtrilescent

Scrumtrilescent

I aim to misbehave.

• Administrators
  • 8,693 posts

Posted 14 December 2011 - 04:43 PM

Is the ASVAB the test where you had to connect the dots?

#22 carpanfan96

carpanfan96

play hard, hit harder

• ALL-PRO
  • 11,621 posts
  • LocationConcord, NC

Posted 14 December 2011 - 04:48 PM

Is the ASVAB the test where you had to connect the dots?

It's the Armed Services Vocational Aptitude, it's a test filled with roughly 200 questions of Arithmetic reasoning, Paragraph Comprehension, general knowledge and Mathematics knowledge.

#23 Mrs Pantherfan

Mrs Pantherfan

Lusting on Zod

• HUDDLER
  • 4,793 posts

Posted 14 December 2011 - 04:49 PM

Hey, that's what happened ..I'm not bs'ing..I have absolutely no reason to lie...it was a long time ago..they said they were full and had absolutely no other positions..were they lying..who knows..it's over now..I don't give a poo anymore.

#24 Jeff L

Jeff L

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 679 posts

Posted 14 December 2011 - 04:50 PM

I spent 20 years in the AF and will say that you are crazy if you go in as a cop. 14 hour days are the norm and it is a very political career field. I was an air traffic controller and would not change a thing if I had to do it over again. I LOVED my job! Plus it is something you can do if you decide to get out. Whatever you do make sure you go in with a guaranteed job; do not let your recruiter talk you in to going open anything.

PM me if you want to talk and I will shoot you my number.

#25 Scrumtrilescent

Scrumtrilescent

I aim to misbehave.

• Administrators
  • 8,693 posts

Posted 14 December 2011 - 04:53 PM

Hey, that's what happened ..I'm not bs'ing..I have absolutely no reason to lie...it was a long time ago..they said they were full and had absolutely no other positions..were they lying..who knows..it's over now..I don't give a poo anymore.

Yes you do. You're pissed you couldn't grab long hoses for a living and not get arrested for it.

#26 Jbro

Jbro

SENIOR HUDDLER

• HUDDLER
  • 5,538 posts

Posted 14 December 2011 - 04:54 PM

Is this all some secret codeword for being a madam for a upscale whorehouse?

#27 Mrs Pantherfan

Mrs Pantherfan

Lusting on Zod

• HUDDLER
  • 4,793 posts

Posted 14 December 2011 - 04:54 PM

Yes you do. You're pissed you couldn't grab long hoses for a living and not get arrested for it.

I have missed you so

#28 TruCatzFan

TruCatzFan

Phil 4:13

• HUDDLER
  • 6,470 posts
  • LocationAlaska

Posted 14 December 2011 - 04:56 PM

They definitely were lieing to you. Good move with the drugs...LOL

#29 carpanfan96

carpanfan96

play hard, hit harder

• ALL-PRO
  • 11,621 posts
  • LocationConcord, NC

Posted 14 December 2011 - 05:00 PM

They definitely were lieing to you. Good move with the drugs...LOL

Yea, a 98 is the highest score I've ever heard. a 99 is perfect. While a 40 is the average score...So the recruiter was most definitely lying.

#30 Jbro

Jbro

SENIOR HUDDLER

• HUDDLER
  • 5,538 posts

Posted 14 December 2011 - 05:04 PM

Its cause she is a chick. Everybody knows they are worthless.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Shop at Amazon Contact Us: info@carolinahuddle.com