Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Texas Republican to Asians: Can't You Just Change Your Names?

19 posts in this topic

Posted

Brown suggested that Asian-Americans should find a way to make their names more accessible.

“Rather than everyone here having to learn Chinese — I understand it’s a rather difficult language — do you think that it would behoove you and your citizens to adopt a name that we could deal with more readily here?” Brown said.

Brown later told Ko: “Can’t you see that this is something that would make it a lot easier for you and the people who are poll workers if you could adopt a name just for identification purposes that’s easier for Americans to deal with?”

http://www.chron.com/disp/story.mpl/front/6365320.html

Posted

LOL @ Ko being the person she is telling this too

Posted

Seeing as her name can be Browne, Braun, Broun, etc.

The funny thing is on the phone, it's real easy to transcribe Asian names, and they're usually glad to spell them. The funny thing is people that get all huffy when you want them to spell out their version of "Kathy."

Posted

My wife is Asian. Her name is Vicky. It didn't take me very long to get use to it. :)

Posted

How many different ways can you spell Chang or Li?

Posted

[ame]

[/ame]

Posted

Now that the Chinese are dealt with, Greeks - we're looking at you.

Posted

I firmly believe that all Texas republicans are that dense. I think it must be a requirement...

Posted

After having lived in Texas I can tell you that my experience while there is that most of the natives of that state by and large consider it to be a whole separate sovereign nation. They actually sold t-shirts that said "I'm from Texas, what country are you from?". So some of them view people's moving there as an alien invasion and treat it as such. I say this to explain, not to excuse the douchewaffleness of that Brown guy.

Posted

after having lived in texas i can tell you that my experience while there is that most of the natives of that state by and large consider it to be a whole separate sovereign nation. They actually sold t-shirts that said "i'm from texas, what country are you from?". So some of them view people's moving there as an alien invasion and treat it as such. I say this to explain, not to excuse the douchewaffleness of that brown guy.

lol

Posted

No one ever claimed democrats cornered the market on idiots.