Photo
- - - - -

Does gun control really work?

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
92 replies to this topic

#46 Delhommey

Delhommey

• Moderators
  • 12,585 posts

Posted 17 April 2009 - 10:46 AM

I've never bought a gun nor have I been to a Gun Show. All three of my guns have been passed down from my Dad. Two rifles and a shot gun. Guns are in my closet, locked up. Ammo is stored on the top shelf in my garage.

Are you still in Austin? I was just curious how or if the border towns like Laredo, McAllen, and El Paso are preparing? Are they feeling any threat or seeing any signs of the potential for an increase in violence?

Not really. People in El Paso talk about the violence in Juarez with the same distance as those in Charlotte.

The national media is blowing this way out of proportion (as per usual)

#47 Delhommey

Delhommey

• Moderators
  • 12,585 posts

Posted 17 April 2009 - 10:48 AM

No.

Do you want another private citizen searching your mental (HIPAA) or criminal (albeit legal) histories? Must be accessible by anyone right? Gun shows are primarily a gathering of citizens...gun stores AT the store still have to go through the same hoops they always do for background checks. It's the swapshop selling that's the issue. But you can do that through the internet...the biggest network utility on the planet.

The fact you equated this out to mean that I wanted adoption shows...or driver's license shows...well...I will avoid namecalling.

Well if you think a person should be able to own a gun without any restrictions or checks, why shouldn't they be able to drive a car.

#48 Murph

Murph

Joe Cool

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,908 posts

Posted 17 April 2009 - 10:49 AM

Most agency/states do extensive background checks before licensing you to foster or adopt. Going through your closets, fridge, etc. is not uncommon in the process. All handguns must be removed from your house to foster. No exceptions in this state. Rifles and shotguns are OK as long as you can prove that they are 100% inaccesable to minors.

I moved my handgun to my office 4 years ago when our process started and I have never brought it back home even though I could now. The fear is just too great that I may screw up and my girls will find it.

#49 SCP

SCP

Crop Dusting Son of a Bitch

• HUDDLER
  • 20,722 posts

Posted 17 April 2009 - 10:49 AM

I used to shoot competively as a youngster until I started losing my eye sight (and got other interests)....which was about the same time as I started getting cinemax in my room...hmmmm

Yea, it's harder to shoot a gun with a deformed hand.

#50 g5jamz

g5jamz

Is back

• HUDDLER
  • 18,770 posts

Posted 17 April 2009 - 10:53 AM

Well if you think a person should be able to own a gun without any restrictions or checks, why shouldn't they be able to drive a car.

I'm just saying...there are many aspects in our lives that puts other lives at risk that could be avoided by doing background checks on everything. Driving...being around children (we already do this w/ predators, BUT we don't preemptively background POTENTIAL problems).

I'm being facetious to make a point.

Where do you draw the line in safety/privacy?

#51 Matt Foley

Matt Foley

• HUDDLER
  • 15,983 posts

Posted 17 April 2009 - 10:55 AM

:cheers2: Well played, Sir.

/sorry, Panthro, but that was funny

#52 g5jamz

g5jamz

Is back

• HUDDLER
  • 18,770 posts

Posted 17 April 2009 - 10:56 AM

Most agency/states do extensive background checks before licensing you to foster or adopt. Going through your closets, fridge, etc. is not uncommon in the process. All handguns must be removed from your house to foster. No exceptions in this state. Rifles and shotguns are OK as long as you can prove that they are 100% inaccesable to minors.

I moved my handgun to my office 4 years ago when our process started and I have never brought it back home even though I could now. The fear is just too great that I may screw up and my girls will find it.

I know...but I was being facetious. I would include that with ALL people being around children....right? Sunday school teachers...teachers...day-care workers...bus drivers...can't hurt right?

As for your handgun...you do know how a trigger-lock or lockbox works right?

#53 g5jamz

g5jamz

Is back

• HUDDLER
  • 18,770 posts

Posted 17 April 2009 - 10:58 AM

I stopped when I really needed glasses...then the internet boomed.

I'll be blind and will need a prosthetic by the time I'm 70. Wonder if they have fleshlight attachments for those arms.

#54 Panthro

Panthro

aka Pablo

• Moderators
  • 24,356 posts

Posted 17 April 2009 - 10:58 AM

[ame][/ame]

#55 natty

natty

• HUDDLER
  • 4,777 posts

Posted 17 April 2009 - 10:59 AM

People also have to think about how guns are ingrained in American culture - from old westerns to hunting. Owning a gun represents freedom as much as hitting the open road in a convertible. Smith & Wesson is as American as apple pie.

So when people talk about banning guns, even though they consciously know that an all out ban will never happen, they still unconsciously associate that as an attack on their heritage and part of what makes them an American. So it'd be in the best interests of someone that is vigorously opposed to guns to tread lightly if they want to effectively argue their position.

#56 Murph

Murph

Joe Cool

• HUDDLER
  • 3,908 posts

Posted 17 April 2009 - 11:01 AM

As for your handgun...you do know how a trigger-lock or lockbox works right?

Locks only work if you actually lock them. I'm afraid I may forget to just once and that's all it takes.

#57 g5jamz

g5jamz

Is back

• HUDDLER
  • 18,770 posts

Posted 17 April 2009 - 11:04 AM

Locks only work if you actually lock them. I'm afraid I may forget to just once and that's all it takes.

My pistol has been locked for 6 years...haven't shot it in probably over 7.

Daughter turns 8 tomorrow...and I got a 4yo dude running round the house.

I don't know the name of that program that the NRA does about kids seeing a gun...but it might be good to do. Do you ask the parents of the kids your child sleeps over with if they own guns...or if they lock them up?

#58 Delhommey

Delhommey

• Moderators
  • 12,585 posts

Posted 17 April 2009 - 11:10 AM

People also have to think about how guns are ingrained in American culture - from old westerns to hunting. Owning a gun represents freedom as much as hitting the open road in a convertible. Smith & Wesson is as American as apple pie.

So when people talk about banning guns, even though they consciously know that an all out ban will never happen, they still unconsciously associate that as an attack on their heritage and part of what makes them an American. So it'd be in the best interests of someone that is vigorously opposed to guns to tread lightly if they want to effectively argue their position.

I haven't seen anyone suggest an outright ban on here.

#59 g5jamz

g5jamz

Is back

• HUDDLER
  • 18,770 posts

Posted 17 April 2009 - 11:13 AM

I haven't seen anyone suggest an outright ban on here.

Liberals have to lie about their true intentions that's why.

#60 cookinwithgas

cookinwithgas

Grey Poupon Elitest Trash

• ALL-PRO
  • 23,779 posts

Posted 17 April 2009 - 11:15 AM

It's another made up scary story to keep the NRA dues money rolling in.

Shop at Amazon Contact Us: info@carolinahuddle.com