#1 Swan

Swan

Executive

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 862 posts
  • LocationAustin, TX

Posted 05 February 2012 - 12:59 PM

So, is anyone here an alum of Wake Forest? At the moment, it's one of my top choices for college, so I just want input of the school. I'm from California and haven't had the chance to visit yet, but I'd like to hear first-hand experiences of the school.

#2 4Corners

4Corners

suck me beautiful

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 14,162 posts
  • Location704

Posted 05 February 2012 - 01:57 PM

If you're considering Wake it means you probably have good ass grades.

I'd look at another school like Carolina.

#3 Messi

Messi

• NEWB
  • PipPip
  • 85 posts

Posted 05 February 2012 - 02:07 PM

Wake has a good mock trial team.

#4 Swan

Swan

Executive

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 862 posts
  • LocationAustin, TX

Posted 05 February 2012 - 02:08 PM

UNC has harder admissions though, especially out of state. Public schools are obligated to admit more in-state students. UVA and UNC are especially difficult for out of state applicants.

#5 Smitty Is Our Savior

Smitty Is Our Savior

Jesus Shuttlesworth

• HUDDLER
  • 5,793 posts
  • LocationSydney, Australia

Posted 05 February 2012 - 02:08 PM

Carolina's tougher to get into than Wake, I believe.

#6 Iceberg Slim

Iceberg Slim

Keep it 100

• HUDDLER
  • 2,087 posts
  • Locationwhatcha worried about it for

Posted 05 February 2012 - 02:09 PM

:iagree:Carolina alum here, no offense to Wake grads, just think Carolina is the superior choice here...

#7 Smitty Is Our Savior

Smitty Is Our Savior

Jesus Shuttlesworth

• HUDDLER
  • 5,793 posts

Posted 05 February 2012 - 02:10 PM

And what are you trying to go into? I went through the whole college selection thing not too long ago, so I could possibly help you out.

#8 Razzy

Razzy

Banned

• HUDDLER
  • 3,053 posts

Posted 05 February 2012 - 02:20 PM

Doing your GE's at a community college will save you tons of time and money, especially if you aren't sure about your major.

#9 Swan

Swan

Executive

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 862 posts
  • LocationAustin, TX

Posted 05 February 2012 - 02:28 PM

Pre-Medicine. Community college is a very logical choice, but I think it's time for me to be on my own.

Wake has a very prestigious pre-med program, from what I've heard. The only con to Wake is the small student population. But hey, for a top-tier education? Totally worth it.

#10 Smitty Is Our Savior

Smitty Is Our Savior

Jesus Shuttlesworth

• HUDDLER
  • 5,793 posts

Posted 05 February 2012 - 02:31 PM

Oh yeah, Wake has a great medical school. How good are your grades, SAT/ACT, that kind of stuff?

#11 SOJA

SOJA

Official Panthers Fan

• HUDDLER
  • 9,527 posts

Posted 05 February 2012 - 02:34 PM

Winston-Salem native here, whom attends Chapel Hill now.

I lived in Winston for most of my life, therefore am pretty knowledgeable about Wake. The actual town of Winston isn't really that great for college life, but Wake Forest is like a separate community within Winston. I have a lot of good friends there and my ex-girlfriend goes there. If you have any specific questions about Wake or UNC you can PM me.

Good luck!

#12 Swan

Swan

Executive

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 862 posts
  • LocationAustin, TX

Posted 05 February 2012 - 02:36 PM

Grades: 4.4 GPA junior year. All AP/Honors.
SAT: 2100-something, forgot the exact number. Equates to a 32 ACT.
Various leadership, community service, etc.

Only regret is not preparing for the SAT earlier. I very much had the potential of scoring a 2200+, but hey, what's done is done.

#13 SOJA

SOJA

Official Panthers Fan

• HUDDLER
  • 9,527 posts

Posted 05 February 2012 - 02:40 PM

for the fug of it and because I don't want to do my homework here is a quick pro cons list to Wake:

Pros:
-Small class size, will get to know your professors better- very beneficial down the road for recommendations etc, and if you have trouble in the class you can get more individual attention
-Community-this one may seem a little backwards, but since Wake is so small I always feel like its a fairly tight-knit community. Whenever I visit I always see at least one person I know walking around, yet its big enough that there is always someone new to meet
-Study Abroad- if you are interested in doing this, Wake has a fantastic study abroad program
-Education- they call it "Work Forest" for a reason, it is definitely challenging, but well worth the effort.
Cons
Winston-Salem- great place to raise a family, not so great of a college town. It by no means is in the middle of nowhere and while there is stuff to do, you won't be blown away with downtown Winston.
Price- granted this is the main reason I (an in-state residence) choose UNC. Wake is obviously quite expensive, while UNC has been the best deal in the country for years running.

I'll add a UNC one in a second

#14 Davidson Deac II

Davidson Deac II

• HUDDLER
  • 16,637 posts

Posted 05 February 2012 - 02:41 PM

Carolina's tougher to get into than Wake, I believe.

You would definitely be wrong about that. They are at the very least, equal.

Regarding cost, if you are an out of state student, UNC Chapel Hill is nearly as expensive as Wake.

Edited by Davidson Deac II, 05 February 2012 - 02:45 PM.

#15 SOJA

SOJA

Official Panthers Fan

• HUDDLER
  • 9,527 posts

Posted 05 February 2012 - 02:45 PM

UNC

Pros:
-Cheaper- even out of state
-More opportunities- a bigger community has more to offer, but it is also easier to get lost in a big school if you don't apply yourself
-Sports:Posted Image - note this is NOT a good reason to choose a school, but doesn't hurt either
-if you are thinking pre-med, while Wake does have a great pre-med program, UNC has at top ten medical school- disclaimer just in case you don't know (medical schools do not care what you major in, as long as you take the MCAT and the required pre-med courses. At UNC that involves getting a minor in Chemistry. You can major in Women's Studies if you really wanted to

Cons
-If you don't want to go to a big school, you probably will have a harder time enjoying UNC- but that is true no matter where you apply

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Shop at Amazon Contact Us: info@carolinahuddle.com