Apparently is causing rifts with his conservative buddies

#2 g5jamz

g5jamz

Is back

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 18,770 posts

Posted 07 February 2012 - 04:31 PM

As much as the minimum wage in and of itself is a stupid concept, he's playing it correctly politically.

#3 Razzy

Razzy

Banned

• HUDDLER
  • 3,053 posts

Posted 07 February 2012 - 09:25 PM

As much as the minimum wage in and of itself is a stupid concept, he's playing it correctly politically.

How is it a stupid concept? Floored wage is possibly the greatest thing to ever happen for the working class in this country. Without it, leaders of industry would be free to cooperate in order to keep them artificially low. Best example I can think of is the packing houses in pre-depression Chicago.

#4 Catalyst

Catalyst

• HUDDLER
  • 4,107 posts
  • LocationMorehead City

Posted 07 February 2012 - 11:01 PM

But... but... if they abolished the minimum wage the grand and generous corporations would pay workers more out of the kindness of their heart. The rich would never exploit desperate working class people by getting together and setting a low-bar minimum wage so that people have no choice but to take what work they can find at whatever wages the corporations feel like paying.

In related news, I hear Grover Cleveland is going to run for President.

#5 ARSEN

ARSEN

Banned

• ALL-PRO
  • 12,821 posts

Posted 08 February 2012 - 12:06 AM

Increase in minimum wage = prices on goods will go up. Low wage families will gain almost nothing while middle class will loose a lot. Farmers will suffer the most, US will be forced to farther subsidize US goods. Where money will come from? Yep, middle class. The gap between middle class and the poor will decrease. This will cause high school dropout to make almost as much as new college graduates. No point to go to school anymore. College bubble will burst, economy dips even farther into decline. The whole country will go to poo. You do no continue to increase minimum wages while keeping everything else at constant. Don't people fuging learn? USSR dejavu...

#6 Jangler

Jangler

event horizon of chaos

• HUDDLER
  • 48,047 posts

Posted 08 February 2012 - 12:10 AM

Increase in minimum wage = prices on goods will go up. Low wage families will gain almost nothing while middle class will loose a lot. Farmers will suffer the most, US will be forced to farther subsidize US goods. Where money will come from? Yep, middle class. The gap between middle class and the poor will decrease. This will cause high school dropout to make almost as much as new college graduates. No point to go to school anymore. College bubble will burst, economy dips even farther into decline. The whole country will go to poo. You do no continue to increase minimum wages while keeping everything else at constant. Don't people fuging learn? USSR dejavu...

not to change the subject, but why do we burn corn for energy? I saw we are making kitty litter from corn now. Does this make any sense??

n/m carry on.

#7 ARSEN

ARSEN

Banned

• ALL-PRO
  • 12,821 posts

Posted 08 February 2012 - 12:11 AM

Yea, we'll catch up with inflation by printing more money... In turn printing more money increases inflation. Ugh...

#8 ARSEN

ARSEN

Banned

• ALL-PRO
  • 12,821 posts

Posted 08 February 2012 - 12:14 AM

not to change the subject, but why do we burn corn for energy? I saw we are making kitty litter from corn now. Does this make any sense??

n/m carry on.

Corn brings no money anymore. Supply and demand. Too many corn field and no one wants it. Corn farmers make enough profit just to survive. They tried to convert it in to fuel but Oil companies said not so fast... This reminds me of coffee bean farmers in Africa. It's just horrible what big companies did to them.

Edited by ARSEN, 08 February 2012 - 12:30 AM.

#9 cookinwithgas

cookinwithgas

Grey Poupon Elitest Trash

• ALL-PRO
  • 23,780 posts

Posted 08 February 2012 - 07:12 AM

And you think they are the ones who should be able to set a "fair" wage?

#10 g5jamz

g5jamz

Is back

• HUDDLER
  • 18,770 posts

Posted 08 February 2012 - 08:20 AM

Free market sets fair wage on both the upper scale and the lower scale.

Consumers dictate who's rewarded/punished. Crazy concept right?

#11 Donald LaFell

Donald LaFell

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,856 posts

Posted 08 February 2012 - 08:23 AM

I consider myself pretty liberal but I feel more friedmanish when thinking of minimum wage.

#12 Catalyst

Catalyst

• HUDDLER
  • 4,107 posts
  • LocationMorehead City

Posted 08 February 2012 - 08:24 AM

Yeah, except corporations control the 'free' market.

#13 cantrell

cantrell

secular progressive bogeyman

• HUDDLER
  • 4,447 posts

Posted 08 February 2012 - 10:08 AM

yes it is a stupid concept and we should all be so lucky to return to the good old days, before the minimum wage

i mean really, a race to the bottom could only be good for real americans (real americans being rich people of course)

#14 MadHatter

MadHatter

The Only Voice of Reason

• HUDDLER
  • 19,495 posts
  • LocationDark Side of the Moon

Posted 08 February 2012 - 10:46 AM

Slipperly slope.

Without minimum wage, wages would drop.

With minimum wage, most unskilled/blue collar jobs move offshore.

Welcome to a Global Economy.

#15 tarheelpride

tarheelpride

Logic is optional

• ALL-PRO
  • 2,919 posts
  • LocationMiddle of Nowhere, NC

Posted 08 February 2012 - 10:59 AM

What a conundrum min wage is. As someone who has worked those jobs, It's wonderful at the time.

Thing is, if you get rid of it, naturally companies would lower wages. Yes, that would lower unemployment, but from more people choosing not to work. If min wage is increased, more people will be willing to work, but employers would have fewer jobs due to the higher wages.

Kind of a catch-22 situation.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Shop at Amazon Contact Us: info@carolinahuddle.com