#16 thefuzz

thefuzz

coppin a feel

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,866 posts

Posted 23 April 2009 - 10:02 AM

I agree 100%.
Problem is, kids aren't "raised" as much any more, they are "befriended".
Since fewer parents do their job now than used to do, I would prefer to see as few "unwanted" pregnancies as possible. I am really torn on it's being available to minors, but I would rather more people use BC than fewer. I don't get why there are more baby mommas and baby daddies than ever now though there is also much more freedom and availability and less stigma associated with getting BC at a young age. Heck, there's even less stigma with getting abortions than there was years ago. That's why I don't think it's a matter of "unwanted" with most of these pregnancies, it's a status thing or a lifestyle CHOICE. It involves the lives and the wallets of other people besides just the baby momma or daddy and that's a huge problem to me.

DING DING DING..

If there is a child born, the government will give them some money, this is widely known.

These women don't care if they are pregnant, or if they have kids. My mother and father beat into me to not have kids until well into my life....that never escaped me, and I was active, but careful.

How can many of the parents of the kids that are pregnant at 17 tell their kids that when they were in the same boat 18 years before.....

#17 pstall

pstall

Gazebo Effect

• HUDDLER
  • 19,227 posts
  • LocationMontford

Posted 23 April 2009 - 10:07 AM

should start at 14 since today's kids are so well advanced and mature.
when i was in middle and high school, very rare to see a teen pregnant.
Now its like getting a tattoo or a blackberry..since everybody is doing it must be right.
now if these teens TORTUED someone then and only then would they have to be held responsible for thier actions.
But otherwise, do whatever feels good. There are no repercussions for your choices in life anymore.

#18 Fireball77

Fireball77

• HUDDLER
  • 3,398 posts

Posted 23 April 2009 - 10:21 AM

It is something that tends to repeat itself, no doubt. I have an aunt who had an abortion and then went right out and got pregnant AGAIN (that baby was given up for adoption, and I think had a different daddy than the first one). She then had 4 kids with her husband and her oldest daughter became a baby momma at 16, then went out and got pregnant again before she got married (a different baby daddy, she married that one). I think my aunt was over 18 both times though.
On my husband's side, he has a ne'er do well sister who had two out of wedlock kids and HER daughter has done the same effing thing. Neither my grandparents or my husband's parents were baby daddies or mommies. In this case, my husband's parents took her back in after the first one and his dad told her that they wouldn't tolerate a second and she did it again anyway (he was kind of a hardass, my husband's mother was pretty permissive). The daughter who became the baby momma second generation was raised by a lifelong welfare mother (his sister) who hasn't worked in about a billion years though she had prior to having the kids and there's no reason she couldn't now. The son of the welfare momma was not raised in her household and has become a responsible man with a family and was never a baby daddy. Once the slope starts with a bad example, it's harder to climb back up.

#19 cookinwithgas

cookinwithgas

Grey Poupon Elitest Trash

• HUDDLER
  • 22,760 posts

Posted 23 April 2009 - 10:32 AM

well that explains the large amount of trailer parks around here

#20 Murph

Murph

Joe Cool

• HUDDLER
  • 3,886 posts
  • LocationRound about here

Posted 23 April 2009 - 10:45 AM

This is one of those situations that when looked upon as what is best for the world, our nation, society, immediate family, mom, dad and the unborn child...

Dammed if you do, dammed if don't.

Can't see much of any silver lining either way.

#21 Panthers_Lover

Panthers_Lover

• HUDDLER
  • 4,025 posts
  • LocationSpartanburg, SC

Posted 23 April 2009 - 10:51 AM

The age of legal consent in SC (and most other places) is 16, so I have no problem with 17-year-olds being able to receive the morning after pill without parental consent. Mine would have talked with me and we would have made the decision together, but I realize not everyone raises their children the same way I did mine.

#22 LiQuiD

LiQuiD

Plumb Crazy

• HUDDLER
  • 2,255 posts

Posted 23 April 2009 - 11:22 AM

I look at it this way, there's no such thing as abstinence for teens so there's no use in spending money on abstinence education. Oh yeah, it sounds good in theory, sure; it's the whole putting it into practice that just doesn't work. So what can you do now? Encourage birth control and safe sex, but those aren't always practiced either.

Therefore you are left with two options, abortion and the morning-after pill. Take your pick, which is the lesser of two evils? The morning-after pill is by far less risky for the would-be-mother-to-be. I'd much rather my daughter, if I had one, do the latter for the sake of her health.

And don't think for a moment that daughters are going to consult mom and pop before having sex anyways. So this isn't really a parenting issue. Forbidding sex just fuels curiosity anyways and I'd say it would be more counterproductive than anything else (not that I'm saying you should encourage sexual activity, mind you). Thinking you can tell your child not to have sex and them follow those instructions is just silly.

I think the morning-after pill should be OTC for anyone not ready for parenthood and not following the usual methods of preventing pregnancy, no matter the age.

Edited by LiQuiD, 23 April 2009 - 11:25 AM.

#23 Epistaxis

Epistaxis

• HUDDLER
  • 4,182 posts

Posted 23 April 2009 - 11:25 AM

I'm kinda surprised at the lack of outrage.

But also happy.

#24 thefuzz

thefuzz

coppin a feel

• HUDDLER
  • 7,866 posts

Posted 23 April 2009 - 11:25 AM

Anti sex...will never work.

Scaring kids to use condoms.....will absolutely work.

#25 Fireball77

Fireball77

• HUDDLER
  • 3,398 posts

Posted 23 April 2009 - 11:39 AM

And don't think for a moment that daughters are going to consult mom and pop before having sex anyways. So this isn't really a parenting issue. Forbidding sex just fuels curiosity anyways and I'd say it would be more counterproductive than anything else (not that I'm saying you should encourage sexual activity, mind you). Thinking you can tell your child not to have sex and them follow those instructions is just silly.

It isn't a matter of parents "forbidding" it per se, it's a matter of restricting situations it might occur in, and making sure that responsibility for and consequences of all things are talked about and shown in all aspects of life by the parents. Making sure that when you give a kid a rule, and they break it (because they will press the issue, always) they suffer the consequences you have outlined for that and it doesn't get blown off so that when it comes to serious things like having sex, all that comes into play. All that does is give a basis for correct decisions to be made by offspring though and that's all we can ask of parents IMO.

#26 Jangler

Jangler

Its gonna be just like they say, them voices tell me so

• HUDDLER
  • 46,792 posts

Posted 23 April 2009 - 11:41 AM

if parents were doing their jobs, it wouldn't be an issue.

:Yawn:

Hooey! Plenty of good parents have good kids, who are having sex.

#27 Delhommey

Delhommey

• Moderators
  • 12,428 posts

Posted 23 April 2009 - 11:44 AM

I'm kinda surprised at the lack of outrage.

But also happy.

I personally have a problem with any attractive woman having sex with someone other than myself.

#28 LiQuiD

LiQuiD

Plumb Crazy

• HUDDLER
  • 2,255 posts

Posted 23 April 2009 - 11:45 AM

It isn't a matter of parents "forbidding" it per se, it's a matter of restricting situations it might occur in, and making sure that responsibility for and consequences of all things are talked about and shown in all aspects of life by the parents. Making sure that when you give a kid a rule, and they break it (because they will press the issue, always) they suffer the consequences you have outlined for that and it doesn't get blown off so that when it comes to serious things like having sex, all that comes into play. All that does is give a basis for correct decisions to be made by offspring though and that's all we can ask of parents IMO.

I agree with you completely without any reservations, but you can't lock a kid up in a closet to restrict those opportunities. There will always be opportunities for that kind of behavior in situations you never deemed to have them. It's a fact of life. Case in point: I knew people in school who would sneak off into the woods during lunch period and have sex.

#29 Scrumtrilescent

Scrumtrilescent

I aim to misbehave.

• Administrators
  • 8,553 posts

Posted 23 April 2009 - 12:07 PM

BS. My daughter will be locked in her room until she's 30.

#30 Fireball77

Fireball77

• HUDDLER
  • 3,398 posts

Posted 23 April 2009 - 12:07 PM

I agree, Liquid, which is why I am more pro having that pill available. I would much rather no baby comes of such things which are going to happen in some way or another at times. PRACTICALLY speaking, I think it's the only real choice because I don't see the responsibility level of parents growing any time soon ergo I don't see it growing in children anytime soon. In an ideal world, the level of responsibility overall would increase, but let's be real.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Contact Us: info@carolinahuddle.com - IP Content Design by Joshua Tree / TitansReport.