Photo
- - - - -

Luke Kuechly Visiting Carolina

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
149 replies to this topic

#136 Panthro

Panthro

aka Pablo

Moderators

Posted 22 March 2012 - 08:51 AM

How many times have we gone a whole season without a rash of injuries? it is that kind of short sighted thinking that prevented us from having depth last year when both of them went down.

We had 3 DT's on IR last year....it's kind of shortsighted to ignore that position too.

#137 csx

csx

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
HUDDLER

Posted 22 March 2012 - 08:57 AM

Why everyone pretends that the only way to acquire players is with the first pick is beyond me.

#138 Louie

Louie

• PipPipPipPip
HUDDLER

Posted 22 March 2012 - 09:03 AM

We had 3 DT's on IR last year....it's kind of shortsighted to ignore that position too.

We put Fua and McClain on IR at the end of the year because they hit the wall and we needed the roster space. To me, it looked like the D line got BETTER after they were out. However, Beason and Davis being out ALL SEASON is what cost us several games. It would be beyond foolish to think both of them are going to come back at 100% and play all season. Remember, Connor, Applewhite, and Senn are all gone. As far as we know, Ron Edwards, McClain, and Fua are all 100% now, and have a year under their belts as starters. Which position do we need more? It's pretty obvious if you ask me. Plus: DT's Poe- worker out warrior? Brockers- benefit of other LSU linemen?, DE-Coples- does he take a bunch of plays off? I would probably be ok with any of them honestly, but I think we really need a starting LB that is healthy the most.

#139 panthers55

panthers55

Starting all over again

HUDDLER

Posted 22 March 2012 - 09:04 AM

In the meantime we have ron edwards coming back from a torn pectoral muscle not an achilles heel or three ACL surgeries. Not exactly the same. Plus neither Fua or McClain had serious injuries. IN addition Shirley looked pretty good with 2 1/2 sacks in 4 games from the DT spot.

Meanwhile we let Connor leave in free agency, Senn who started quite a bit we don't attempt to resign, and the rest of the guys are largely unproven.

We went DT twice last year in the draft. We last picked up a linebackker of any note in the draft 4 years ago.

You seem to be the one ignoring reality in a vain attempt to find anything to bolster your argument.

#140 Panthro

Panthro

aka Pablo

Moderators

Posted 22 March 2012 - 09:04 AM

We put Fua and McClain on IR at the end of the year because they hit the wall and we needed the roster space. To me, it looked like the D line got BETTER after they were out. However, Beason and Davis being out ALL SEASON is what cost us several games. It would be beyond foolish to think both of them are going to come back at 100% and play all season. Remember, Connor, Applewhite, and Senn are all gone. As far as we know, Ron Edwards, McClain, and Fua are all 100% now, and have a year under their belts as starters. Which position do we need more? It's pretty obvious if you ask me. Plus: DT's Poe- worker out warrior? Brockers- benefit of other LSU linemen?, DE-Coples- does he take a bunch of plays off? I would probably be ok with any of them honestly, but I think we really need a starting LB that is healthy the most.

Our DT's.....and that doesn't worry you?

#141 Panthro

Panthro

aka Pablo

Moderators

Posted 22 March 2012 - 09:09 AM

I'm fine going LBer I just think the value is better in the 2nd round.

#142 panthers55

panthers55

Starting all over again

HUDDLER

Posted 22 March 2012 - 09:09 AM

Our DTs:

Edwards, Fua, McClain, Kearse, Neblett, Shirley, Nwagbua

Look at the linebackers after the starters and that is a much scarier group to count on.

#143 Panthro

Panthro

aka Pablo

Moderators

Posted 22 March 2012 - 09:11 AM

Captain Munnerlyn is the Jordan Senn of the Secondary. Him starting is a huge liability. Moreso then banking on injuries to our LB's.

#144 rayzor

rayzor

shula is who i thought he was.

Moderators

Posted 22 March 2012 - 09:18 AM

I'm fine going LBer I just think the value is better in the 2nd round.

could make the argument that the choices are better in the rounds past 2nd for CBs and DTs.

in talking about value, it could also be argued that LB is the most valuable position to the scheme. it makes sense that they would want to get the best player possible to ensure we have the best LB corps possible in the very real and likely scenario that TD isn't ready to go or if he is, won't be playing for long.

if kuechly is the best player among CB, LB, FS, and DT (our primary needs on D...not in order, btw) then i thknk we absolutely should take him.

#145 captfluoro

captfluoro

• PipPipPipPip
HUDDLER

Posted 22 March 2012 - 09:21 AM

The Panthers will draft the best player available. If Claiborne is available it will be him. If they think its Brockers, Poe or Cox, they'll take one of them. If they think its Kuechly, they'll take him. Don't forget, we had just signed Justin Hartwig to a 5 year contract in 2006 to be our center and who did we draft in the 2nd round in 2007? Ryan Kalil...the best player available. Who is now our Pro Bowl center after Hartwig went down with an injury? Ryan Kalil.
Personally, I think Kuechly would be a great pick.

As a side note, apparently I screwed up my font. What the hell is the default font and size?

#146 Panthro

Panthro

aka Pablo

Moderators

Posted 22 March 2012 - 09:21 AM

fine....hmmmmph

#147 DaCityKats

DaCityKats

feed KB 2014

HUDDLER

Posted 22 March 2012 - 09:31 AM

again since some keep saying that LB is more important than DL in this scheme, why didnt the guy who came up with the scheme use a 1st rounder on a LB?i like the LBs in the 2nd round but i just cant see how you can invest 3 1st rounders in position and ignore the other levels on that side of the ball. yes i do understand 2 are coming off major injuries.

#148 Louie

Louie

• PipPipPipPip
HUDDLER

Posted 22 March 2012 - 09:33 AM

A little, that's why I REALLY want Antonio Garay as a FA now, lol! :D

#149 rayzor

rayzor

shula is who i thought he was.

Moderators

Posted 22 March 2012 - 09:39 AM

fine....hmmmmph

Posted Image

#150 scarface

scarface

HUDDLER

Posted 22 March 2012 - 11:52 AM

Next to Claiborne or Janoris Jenkins; Coples or Kuechly would be my top choices @ #9.