Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Which 'biblical Marriage' Are Amendment One Supporters Talking About?

149 posts in this topic

Posted

Amendment 1 blondy

Posted

That's the vibe I get too - a lot of people are going to vote for it but really don't want to talk about it - a sure sign that they know in their hearts it's a selfish thing to do but will do it anyways

Posted

The majority is supporting it so I figured you were talking about something else. it will likely pass.

Posted

I have close friends that are talking about leaving the state if it passes :(

Posted

The Dems sold it down the river, letting the Republicans have this vote on their primary day.

Posted

i don't see what's so wrong with this amendment. i mean if you can't tolerate the right's bigotry then truly you are the real bigot here

Posted

Op-ed in the Raleigh N&O arguing against the ban.

http://www.newsobser...es-too-far.html

We are native Southerners and we oppose legalizing same-sex marriage.

One of us (David), reared in Mississippi, has for more than two decades directed a think tank, the Institute for American Values, that aims to strengthen marriage and reduce divorce and unwed childbearing. In 2010, he served as an expert court witness in California’s widely followed “Proposition 8” marriage case.

The other (Elizabeth) grew up in North Carolina and has for a decade directed the Center for Marriage and Families at the same institute. She has made her case against same sex marriage in national opinion pieces, book chapters and reports. We believe that marriage is a uniquely important institution that unites mothers and fathers to their children.

But as marriage advocates, we oppose the state marriage amendment now being debated in North Carolina. We hope that when North Carolinians go to the polls on May 8 they will defeat this measure. Let us explain.

The proposed amendment states that “marriage between one man and one woman is the only domestic legal union that shall be valid or recognized in this state.” That’s a big mouthful, and it goes well beyond the issue of same-sex marriage.

For one thing, it means that North Carolina could not, now or ever, take any step or devise any policy to extend legal recognition and protection to same-sex couples. No domestic partnership laws. No civil unions. Nothing.

Posted

Nice find. I think that the wording of the amendment will get it passed, even though I suspect it wouldn't be passed if it was clear to voters it also prevented more than just "gays getting married."

Posted

I wish there was a way I could protest just how wasteful and deceptive this referendum is. And here I am wasting my time talking about it on the interwebs.

Posted

It'll be overturned by the Supreme Court eventually, so who even cares. Let them have their circlejerk and work themselves up into gay-rage until blood rushes into their penises. It doesn't even really matter anymore.

Posted

It'll be overturned by the Supreme Court eventually, so who even cares. Let them have their circlejerk and work themselves up into gay-rage until blood rushes into their penises. It doesn't even really matter anymore.

No. While I agree it will be eventually overturned, we shouldn't be using an amendment to the State Constitution that will take away people's rights. The whole point of a constitution is to PROTECT people's rights. I'm not good with people losing rights for even a day. It's wrong.

Posted

No. While I agree it will be eventually overturned, we shouldn't be using an amendment to the State Constitution that will take away people's rights. The whole point of a constitution is to PROTECT people's rights. I'm not good with people losing rights for even a day. It's wrong.

no but see this amendment does protect peoples rights. according to noted retard blackcatgrowl allowing gay marriage is actually an infringement of straight rights or something. won't someone please think of the straight people?