• Please log in to reply
50 replies to this topic

#16 Nicbsbll2

Nicbsbll2

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,508 posts

Posted 05 May 2012 - 05:39 PM

lol are you kidding? 200 people at men's basketball games?

Even after a 6 year NCAA drought we average over 6,000 a game. Our attendance falls within the top 25% of DI hoops.

We rank in the top 20 for soccer attendance and regularly fill our baseball stadium.

Our soccer team has some of the best players in the state coming here next year. How is that if our soccer coach was the only reason they came here? Our soccer coach was a no-name before last season. He didn't get high profile recruits, he just got everything he could out of the guys. Also, our soccer coach didn't go to UCLA, he went to Stanford.

I'm not going to pretend like our support is stellar and among the best in the country, but it is very good for a school that has up until now not had a football program. CUSA basketball should be friendlier to Charlotte hoops than the A10. Winning will put fans back in the seats and Halton is an awesome place to watch a game when the house is packed.

Football will expose all of our programs to new fans. 60% of the PSL's that have been sold have been sold to people that had previously never given to the program.

6,000 falls in the top 25% of all DI??

#17 Dingo_ate_Babies

Dingo_ate_Babies

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 554 posts

Posted 05 May 2012 - 06:27 PM

The only people that think it is a commuter school are people that haven't been there in 10+ years. Charlotte has a higher percentage of students that live on campus or a mile from campus than UNC. It is very much a residential campus.

Really? I was there only a few years ago (before I moved onto VT) and it didn't feel that way at all. There might be alot of people who live in the area, but there's nothing that suggests that it is a traditional campus. I still know people there, and they are doing the same thing that everyone else was doing when I was there. Go to class and go home. It is still very much a commuter school, and just because more people live near campus doesn't change that.

#18 Ncstatefan

Ncstatefan

GO PACK!!!

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 654 posts

Posted 05 May 2012 - 07:30 PM

lol are you kidding? 200 people at men's basketball games?

Even after a 6 year NCAA drought we average over 6,000 a game. Our attendance falls within the top 25% of DI hoops.

6k on a good night with paying fans... I'm sorry actual students, aka Niner Nation, only fill two sections behind the bench and manage to scrape the first couple rows of the 2nd tier on most nights unless its homecoming/big game. Top 25%? Show me your info.

We rank in the top 20 for soccer attendance and regularly fill our baseball stadium.

Show me the info I went to every single game the previous 3 years.. If 600-1k people a game is top 20 for attendance, that says more about soccer than UNCC.

Our soccer team has some of the best players in the state coming here next year. How is that if our soccer coach was the only reason they came here? Our soccer coach was a no-name before last season. He didn't get high profile recruits, he just got everything he could out of the guys. Also, our soccer coach didn't go to UCLA, he went to Stanford.

Best players in the state sure, top class not so much.. Duke, Wake, Carolina all received top recruiting classes for soccer and that's just for instate schools, so why didn't they take the top instate talent?

I'm not going to pretend like our support is stellar and among the best in the country, but it is very good for a school that has up until now not had a football program. CUSA basketball should be friendlier to Charlotte hoops than the A10. Winning will put fans back in the seats and Halton is an awesome place to watch a game when the house is packed.

Football will expose all of our programs to new fans. 60% of the PSL's that have been sold have been sold to people that had previously never given to the program.

I agree, winning puts butts in seats no doubt and halton get's hopin when its a packed house. I don't hate Charlotte, I've had some great experiences there, it's just that what is lacking is the "college experience". You end up feeling like you're going to community college when everyone in your classes drives 10-20 minutes to campus everyday. You end up really disconnected from your school and peers, thus the reason I transferred.

Really? I was there only a few years ago (before I moved onto VT) and it didn't feel that way at all. There might be alot of people who live in the area, but there's nothing that suggests that it is a traditional campus. I still know people there, and they are doing the same thing that everyone else was doing when I was there. Go to class and go home. It is still very much a commuter school, and just because more people live near campus doesn't change that.

You're correct, I just transfered THIS semester, everyone I know commutes. Sure they've built and starting building more on campus living, but the majority of students are commuters. Campus can be quiet bare at certain hours of the day, especially on weekends. They need to build bars within walking distance and more activities to do on and around campus. Sure the new rec fields are nice, but you're not allowed to use them. Yeah greek village is great, except for that fact that you can't do poo there and only one fraternity actually lives there. The school has so much potential, and will reach it one day, though I won't be one to experience it.

#19 Dingo_ate_Babies

Dingo_ate_Babies

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 554 posts

Posted 05 May 2012 - 10:32 PM

6k on a good night with paying fans... I'm sorry actual students, aka Niner Nation, only fill two sections behind the bench and manage to scrape the first couple rows of the 2nd tier on most nights unless its homecoming/big game. Top 25%? Show me your info.

Show me the info I went to every single game the previous 3 years.. If 600-1k people a game is top 20 for attendance, that says more about soccer than UNCC.

Best players in the state sure, top class not so much.. Duke, Wake, Carolina all received top recruiting classes for soccer and that's just for instate schools, so why didn't they take the top instate talent?

I agree, winning puts butts in seats no doubt and halton get's hopin when its a packed house. I don't hate Charlotte, I've had some great experiences there, it's just that what is lacking is the "college experience". You end up feeling like you're going to community college when everyone in your classes drives 10-20 minutes to campus everyday. You end up really disconnected from your school and peers, thus the reason I transferred.

You're correct, I just transfered THIS semester, everyone I know commutes. Sure they've built and starting building more on campus living, but the majority of students are commuters. Campus can be quiet bare at certain hours of the day, especially on weekends. They need to build bars within walking distance and more activities to do on and around campus. Sure the new rec fields are nice, but you're not allowed to use them. Yeah greek village is great, except for that fact that you can't do poo there and only one fraternity actually lives there. The school has so much potential, and will reach it one day, though I won't be one to experience it.

Yep, I think a poppin' bar scene within walking distance from campus would do wonders to bring people together and improve the atmosphere. I'm all for UNCC hitting it big, but its just not there yet. Like you said, the potential is there for the school to be a powerhouse, but theres so much that needs to happen first. UNCCs got a long way to go.

#20 cbarrier90

cbarrier90

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,157 posts
  • LocationBoone, NC

Posted 05 May 2012 - 11:19 PM

Tensor (or any other Charlotte fan,)

is C-USA the end-all be-all or do you anticipate Charlotte attempting to move again? (Regardless of the conference "chess match" moves by other teams.)

While it's nice to finally go "home," almost the entire pre-2005 C-USA is now in the Big East.

#21 4Corners

4Corners

suck me beautiful

• HUDDLER
  • 14,003 posts
  • Location704

Posted 06 May 2012 - 09:39 AM

I am an alum and could care less about UNCC athletics.

#22 Niner National

Niner National

• HUDDLER
  • 3,408 posts

Posted 06 May 2012 - 12:20 PM

Tensor (or any other Charlotte fan,)

is C-USA the end-all be-all or do you anticipate Charlotte attempting to move again? (Regardless of the conference "chess match" moves by other teams.)

While it's nice to finally go "home," almost the entire pre-2005 C-USA is now in the Big East.

It's not. If it were, there was no reason to start football in the first place. The Big East has to be the ultimate goal. None of the other big name conferences are really a realistic option.

Charlotte, Tulane, and USM (I think, not sure about them) are the only founding members of Conference USA that are not in the Big East now.

Things would have to hold steady for a while for that to happen though. If Louisville/Cinci/UConn/Rutgers leaves within the next 5 years, Charlotte may be screwed. Who knows though, there aren't many quality football programs left anyway and the BE has shown it only cares about grabbing big markets.

#23 King Taharqa

King Taharqa

The Panthers Quarterback

• HUDDLER
  • 8,774 posts
  • LocationBobcat Country

Posted 06 May 2012 - 12:28 PM

Tensor do you think Charlotteans in mass will give up their allegiances to UNC and other schools and support "Charlotte's team"?

#24 AppStatePanther

AppStatePanther

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,686 posts
  • LocationMint Hill

Posted 06 May 2012 - 12:45 PM

Tensor do you think Charlotteans in mass will give up their allegiances to UNC and other schools and support "Charlotte's team"?

UNC football? maybe, Duke football? definitely. There aren't really that many fans of them anyways. too many UNC/Duke basketball fans and Alabama/Oregon/LSU/UGA football fans out there.

#25 Niner National

Niner National

• HUDDLER
  • 3,408 posts

Posted 06 May 2012 - 01:07 PM

I don't really see many people in Charlotte that have a strong allegiance to anyone for football.

With so many transplants in the area, I think there is plenty of opportunity to draw in the average fan if the team is successful.

For basketball, it is less likely. Charlotte had a lot of success in the past, but the casual basketball fan in the city really only got excited when Cinci/Louisville came to town. Winning will take attendance back to 7500+/average, but I don't see CUSA opponents filling up Halton unless we end up running that conference the way Memphis did (which I don't think is likely).

A successful football program will help interest in all sports though.

#26 King Taharqa

King Taharqa

The Panthers Quarterback

• HUDDLER
  • 8,774 posts
  • LocationBobcat Country

Posted 06 May 2012 - 01:25 PM

Good luck to you guys. I'm happy you finally got a football team. I didnt attend UNCC, but I've always supported them from afar.

#27 King Taharqa

King Taharqa

The Panthers Quarterback

• HUDDLER
  • 8,774 posts
  • LocationBobcat Country

Posted 06 May 2012 - 01:31 PM

Not surprised Mr. "We need Charlotte's team to represent 'us'"

#28 4Corners

4Corners

suck me beautiful

• HUDDLER
  • 14,003 posts
  • Location704

Posted 06 May 2012 - 03:40 PM

King when is Central Piedmont getting a football team?

UNCC football is going to be a huge success in this city I'm sure of it.

#29 holderoftruth

holderoftruth

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,104 posts

Posted 06 May 2012 - 07:58 PM

Why could you less about Charlotte's athletics?? Did you attend Charlotte for 4 years??

#30 4Corners

4Corners

suck me beautiful

• HUDDLER
  • 14,003 posts
  • Location704

Posted 07 May 2012 - 09:33 AM

No. I went to ECU first and I'm a Carolina fan.

Once football starts up I plan on purchasing season tickets.

I should clarify that I don't hate UNCC athletics, but I don't support Judy Rose and reward mediocrity with my alumni bucks.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Contact Us: info@carolinahuddle.com - IP Content Design by Joshua Tree / TitansReport.