Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Nc Amendment One: "preserving The White Race"?

373 posts in this topic

Posted · Report post

[url="http://2012.talkingpointsmemo.com/2012/05/north-carolina-marriage-amendment-protects-caucasian-race.php"]http://2012.talkingpointsmemo.com/2012/05/north-carolina-marriage-amendment-protects-caucasian-race.php[/url]

OK, where are the white, homophobic supremacists who want this to pass?

Posted · Report post

muh freedumbs are at stake here

Posted · Report post

bunch of christian losers doing what they do best..

Posted · Report post

Isn't freedom great..

Posted · Report post

Even without the white part, I don't really follow the logic of how outlawing marriage equality equates to more or sustained reproduction. They seem unrelated to me. Gay people are going to be gay whether they can marry or not, outlawing it isn't going to make them straight breeders.

Unless she's saying inequality makes her really horny so [i]she [/i]will breed more if the law passes.

Posted · Report post

Voted early today. Against.
2 people like this

Posted · Report post

[quote name='rodeo' timestamp='1336028360' post='1762422']
Even without the white part, I don't really follow the logic of how outlawing marriage equality equates to more or sustained reproduction. They seem unrelated to me. [i][b]Gay people are going to be gay whether they can marry or not, outlawing it isn't going to make them straight breeders.[/b][/i]

Unless she's saying inequality makes her really horny so [i]she [/i]will breed more if the law passes.
[/quote]

no see that's actually what these fundie dipshits believe.

a couple regulars here will actively defend the fugtarded belief that sexuality is a choice and homosexuality is somehow unnatural or immoral, and then get all upset when you follow that belief to its logical conclusion and suggest that they had to choose not to be gay

i remember one spectacularly ignorant poster who honestly had no idea that homosexuality occurs between animals and is in fact a natural thing

Posted · Report post

[quote name='lightsout' timestamp='1336022093' post='1762353']
[url="http://2012.talkingpointsmemo.com/2012/05/north-carolina-marriage-amendment-protects-caucasian-race.php"]http://2012.talkingp...casian-race.php[/url]

OK, where are the white, homophobic supremacists who want this to pass?
[/quote]

hmm i'd check in the general assembly and the churches

Posted · Report post

wow im totally shocked

Posted · Report post

[quote name='cantrell' timestamp='1336031782' post='1762432']
hmm i'd check in the general assembly and the churches
[/quote]A large number of the churches have come out against the Amendment.

I would say bigots and they can be found anywhere.

Posted · Report post

uh i know there are some more tolerant churches out there but if you don't think that there's a direct connection between religion and "protecting the sanctity of marriage" then i dont really know what to tell you

Posted · Report post

Unless something changes in the next week, it is probably going to pass. Margins this big in polling almost always predict the winner.

[url="http://www.publicpolicypolling.com/main/2012/05/amendment-one-still-up-14-points-in-nc.html"]http://www.publicpolicypolling.com/main/2012/05/amendment-one-still-up-14-points-in-nc.html[/url]

Posted · Report post

the downside of living in a state occupied by neanderthals

Posted · Report post

If this poo passes I will honestly say I'm embarrassed to be from the state of NC..godamnit, I fuging hate people sometimes...

Posted · Report post

[quote name='rodeo' timestamp='1336028360' post='1762422']
Even without the white part, I don't really follow the logic of how outlawing marriage equality equates to more or sustained reproduction. They seem unrelated to me. Gay people are going to be gay whether they can marry or not, outlawing it isn't going to make them straight breeders.

[/quote]

Well said.

I don't really follow the logic about preserving the Caucasian race though.
1 person likes this

Posted · Report post

[quote name='cantrell' timestamp='1336049500' post='1762493']
uh i know there are some more tolerant churches out there but if you don't think that there's a direct connection between religion and "protecting the sanctity of marriage" then i dont really know what to tell you
[/quote]I think there is a direct connection between bigotry and this law.

Posted · Report post

[quote name='cantrell' timestamp='1336049500' post='1762493']
[/quote]

In general, I don't think people think the way they do because of religion, they simply use religion as a way to justify their views. Religion didn't cause the Crusades, the Inquisition, 9/11, whatever. People did and used religion as an excuse. Never underestimate people's capacity to do horrible things to one another. If not religion they'd find some other reason.

Posted · Report post

[quote name='natty' timestamp='1336056086' post='1762601']
In general, I don't think people think the way they do because of religion, they simply use religion as a way to justify their views. Religion didn't cause the Crusades, the Inquisition, 9/11, whatever. People did and used religion as an excuse. Never underestimate people's capacity to do horrible things to one another. If not religion they'd find some other reason.
[/quote]

You don't know that either way. If you don't think religion caused a few men to hijack and fly a couple planes into some buildings, thus killing themselves (which is the highest honor and easiest ticket to their version of heaven) and ensuring their spot in paradise for eternity, then you're crazy. Might this kind of stuff still go on? Certainly. But at least people will have one less excuse and you won't have people supporting them simply for being "on their side". Same can be said for the Crusades, the Inquisition, Salem Witch Trials (that was PURELY religious....), etc. I get what you're trying to say, but it isn't necessarily true. Religion has and will probably continue to CAUSE people to do stupid, fuged up things.

Of course, when I say "religion" I do mean "religious beliefs". Religion in and of itself cannot do anything. It requires willing participants. For which there are plenty. Once you brainwash a few, it's off to the genocide races.

Posted · Report post

[quote name='lightsout' timestamp='1336060457' post='1762666']
You don't know that either way. [b]If you don't think religion caused a few men to hijack and fly a couple planes into some buildings, thus killing themselves (which is the highest honor and easiest ticket to their version of heaven) and ensuring their spot in paradise for eternity, then you're crazy.[/b] Might this kind of stuff still go on? Certainly. But at least people will have one less excuse and you won't have people supporting them simply for being "on their side". Same can be said for the Crusades, the Inquisition, Salem Witch Trials (that was PURELY religious....), etc. I get what you're trying to say, but it isn't necessarily true. Religion has and will probably continue to CAUSE people to do stupid, fuged up things.

Of course, when I say "religion" I do mean "religious beliefs". Religion in and of itself cannot do anything. It requires willing participants. For which there are plenty. Once you brainwash a few, it's off to the genocide races.
[/quote]

Religion was used to justify it and get people to actually do it but it didn't cause it.

Posted · Report post

[quote name='natty' timestamp='1336069485' post='1762823']
Religion was used to justify it and [b]get people to actually do it[/b] but it didn't cause it.
[/quote]

The bold part is my point. It harms people on an individual level. You convince people that some higher power wants you to kill yourself as well as as many others as you can, and you'll get a reward if you do, then they go and do it without question. They think they're doing the right thing. Religious belief causes that, and thus, causes the events carried out by those individuals. Sure, powers that be may not actually believe it, but the people who actually do the stuff do. They're not using it as an excuse. They sincerely believe it. That's what you have to realize about it. Same goes for less extremes, such as bigotry and discrimination. If somebody truly believes it, they will act on it. I know people who converted to Christianity who suddenly became very, very intolerant of gay people and basically every non-Christian. Prior to them becoming hardcore Christian, they had no problems with those types of people at all. Religion caused that.

Posted · Report post

I don't necessarily disagree with you I'm just saying religion is one way people justify their actions/beliefs and there are other reasons people can come up with to be shitty people. Honor, for example.

Posted · Report post

The best thing religion has going for it is its social aspect. Frequent gatherings, reciting doctrine, encouraging conformity. Free thinkers are not generally appreciated. As a collective, they tend to act, think and vote alike. This is the only way of life most of them have ever known.

Religious leaders (many) are telling their flocks every Sunday that the Christian way of life is under attack, creating fear and motivating them to get out and vote. There is no doubt how they will vote and they most definitely will vote.

The opponents of this amendment can only dream of being as compelling with the average voter.

The moral minority will likely get this amendment approved. Meanwhile, the majority of eligible voters won't even bother to take the time to vote.

Posted · Report post

Hmmmm.... I guess my son somehow damages the white race... Cool!

Posted · Report post

guys it's not religions fault that the majority of americans believe in the literal interpretation of (select) portions of their holy book which suggests that being gay is an abomination

i haven't heard one argument in favor of banning gay marriage while preserving straight marriage that wasn't rooted in religion

Posted · Report post

[quote name='PanthAZ' timestamp='1336087598' post='1763145']
The best thing religion has going for it is its social aspect. Frequent gatherings, reciting doctrine, encouraging conformity. Free thinkers are not generally appreciated. As a collective, they tend to act, think and vote alike. This is the only way of life most of them have ever known.

Religious leaders are telling their flocks every Sunday that the Christian way of life is under attack, creating fear and motivating them to get out and vote. There is no doubt how they will vote and they most definitely will vote.

The opponents of this amendment can only dream of being as compelling with the average voter.

The moral minority will likely get this amendment approved. Meanwhile, the majority of eligible voters won't even bother to take the time to vote.
[/quote]

You're confusing "religious leaders" with Glenn Beck.